Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

That Half Tucked in T Shirt Look......

(22 Posts)
UtahGirl12 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:15:47

so beloved of the stylists at Hush etc. Does anyone else not get it? Or rather get it and think it looks effortlessly cool yet find they look completely ridiculous when they try the same thing? Am I too old (49), too short (5 foot 1), too big (16-18) or just too bloody untrendy to pull it off?

imjessie Wed 11-Oct-17 18:50:21

I do it and always have because I have a slim waist and big bum , a lot of clothes get lost in that if there isn’t any definition. I think for the look to work you need to have a flat stomach to be honest . 😬

UtahGirl12 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:52:49

Aha, that's another thing to add to my list...no flat tummy! I just get the feeling that people (especially my fashion clueless DH) would want to "tuck me in"! Fab that it looks good on you though Imjessie. I'm envious!

Paintbox Wed 11-Oct-17 18:53:01

I do it all the time as my hips are quite a lot bigger than my waist so I need to show my waist off otherwise I look much bigger than I am. I wouldn't say I'm skinny though, size 12

OCSockOrphanage Wed 11-Oct-17 18:59:29

It's about defining the bits you want noticed, and it's a useful styling trick. However, it does help to be tall and on the slender side. Age is irrelevant here, because I am over 60 and do it. I am not tall or very slender either BTW (5'5" and size 12 for the record).

CallarMorvern Wed 11-Oct-17 19:55:56

I do it, mainly for the same reason as others here...small waist, but larger hips. I'm 48, 12-14 and 5' 10". I only do it when I'm wearing a belt though, so more likely with my skinny kickflare jeans than skinny jeans.

rightknockered Wed 11-Oct-17 23:18:46

A half tuck creates an asymmetric line around the waist, which defines the waist. I don't think you need a flat tummy or an especially tiny waist.

rightknockered Wed 11-Oct-17 23:20:26

I do it and I'm 5ft 5 and a half, size 10.
I have a friend who wears a size 14, and it looks good on her

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:26:18

I think you definitely do need a flat stomach to carry it off. I've got a bulge between my non-existent waist and the top of my knicker line, and tucking a t-shirt half in just showcases that area, as the Daily Mail would say, and that's not a good thing.

blisterinthesun Thu 12-Oct-17 06:36:49

Same as Margot. I think it looks cool but after two c sections I have a lovely overhang (even though I’m a size 12) which is only highlighted by tucking things in. Sigh.

User5trillion Thu 12-Oct-17 06:46:53

I am 5ft 5ins and a good size 16. I cant do it, it highlights my mum tum. Think a slim waist and flat tummy is required.

AdalindSchade Thu 12-Oct-17 07:06:55

What's a half tuck? Just tucking in the front?
That would look awful on me (size 16, pot belly) I think it needs a flat stomach

Jaimx86 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:21:55

I love it - find it really flattering so I'm glad it's back in style. Also love the full tuck in as shown by Victioria Beckham in this pic. Hope it becomes a big trend this A/W. it goes hand in hand with the trend for belts this season.

banivani Thu 12-Oct-17 07:26:10

I’ve tried it and my husband does ask why I don’t do one or the other 🙄

Floisme Thu 12-Oct-17 07:30:50

I love it too but I've no illusions. I'm quite sure I'll look back at myself in 10 years and have a good laugh.

VeryPunny Thu 12-Oct-17 07:34:14

If we’re taking waist as the narrowest point, then none of my skirts or trousers sit high enough to allow me to tuck in near my narrowest point, so I wind up emphasising a wider bit. Ho hum.

Tanaqui Thu 12-Oct-17 07:42:48

Is a half tuck tucking in just the front? Or just one side? Or when you tuck it in and then bag it out a bit?! I haven't tucked in since childhood!

imjessie Thu 12-Oct-17 08:38:56

Like this . I still stand by you need a flat tum and small waist because otherwise it would highlight the tummy area . I do it instead of a full tuck because I have a bigger bum than the rest of me ( hourglass ) and I’m short so a full tuck makes my legs look shorter .

creamcheeseandlox Thu 12-Oct-17 10:31:31

I do this. More when I'm wearing looser jeans and a belt. I'm 5ft 2 so when I'm wearing looser jeans and a tshirt it kind of swamps me and looses my shape. I find a tucked in jumper or tshirt just gives more of a finish to an outfit. I have also done it with skinnies and a shirt with heels for a semi casual evening look.

nickEcave Thu 12-Oct-17 12:51:59

Absolutely doesn't work if you have a tummy! I'm a relatively slim size 12 hourglass but have an overhang from 2 c-sections and tucking anything in emphasizes it. I have quite a high waist and use a belt with dresses which then skim the offending area but tucking a top into trousers or a skirt looks awful.

xqwertyx Thu 12-Oct-17 16:38:12

I have a bigger bust and when i do it the top falls straight down from my bust and then tucks in, resulting in a hot air balloon look.

Id love to have a flatter chest so i could wear flowing tops but they just make me look like a blob

xqwertyx Thu 12-Oct-17 16:40:10

Oh haha! Ignore my last! Just seen @Jaimx86 ‘s example.

I do this when im slimmer, i cant now though as i have muffin top and it exaggerates my thighs too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now