Which Jumpers are the warmest? and don't lose shape

(21 Posts)
Grumpyteens Wed 11-Oct-17 17:32:48

Is it 100% cotton ?
Wool?
cotton blend?
acrylic? Viscose?

Magickl Wed 11-Oct-17 17:55:25

From my experience as a knitter, animal fibres like wool, cashmere and alpaca are warmest. A small % of nylon (polyamide) can be useful to help keep shape and give increased durability.

FlaviaAlbia Wed 11-Oct-17 17:59:10

What Magickl said.

For warmth I'd always go for wool, even if washing can be a pain. Bamboo isn't a bad substitute for merino base layers though.

breakabletoy Wed 11-Oct-17 18:55:16

Cashmere, definitely.

I even find cashmere a bit too hot for London, where you basically go from heated indoors to overheated tube, and never really spend enough time outside to feel the cold.

Merino is great -lightweight, warm, but not as cloyingly hot as cashmere.

Cotton knits are only for warm weather.

I avoid acrylic. My mum made me advised me years ago to never touch the stuff. It bobbles as soon as you look at it, isn't warm like natural fibres, but still manages to be sweaty because it's essentially plastic.

BertramTheWalrus Wed 11-Oct-17 18:57:35

Nothing beats animal fibres like wool, alpaca etc. imo. They need to be very good quality though or they will wash badly. I have also found washing machines to be much gentler on wool than hand washing. I have a couple of wool jumpers that are still in fabulous shape after years by washing them only in the washing machine.

CountFosco Wed 11-Oct-17 19:05:36

Cashmere. 10x warmer than other would apparently. It's always my cashmere jumpers I reach for when I'm cold, in fact I'm just about to swap my merino jumper for a cashmere one because I'm feeling cold.

Grumpyteens Wed 11-Oct-17 19:09:24

Thanks for the comments.
The wool jumpers in the high street all look like they will drop out of shape after 1 wash. They also don't seem too flatter anyone who isn't very slim (which i'm not) they seem to hug all the wrong body parts. What percentage of 'Nylon' should it ideally be mixed with?

BreakAble - Thanks for the tip about acrylic.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 11-Oct-17 19:28:30

Not at all convinced by the natural fibres argument.

I have some 5 year + M&s jumpers that are every bit as warm as the cashmere I own. Except they are 100% more hard-wearing, look as good as the day I bought them and have been washed and tumbled countless times.

I'm almost afraid to touch the cashmere. I keep few for super smart. I have a Laura Ashley mohair Coatigan for throwing on at home but honestly I wouldn't bother if I was buying again.

Warmest jumper I own is a 300 weight tog 24 fleece. It's all man made fibres exceptionally warm super hard wearing. It's also super thin so you can hide it under a smart coat etc and not feel like Michelin man. My one is a bit different so doesn't look too bad for a fleece.

I'm a massive fan of layering for staying warm.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 11-Oct-17 19:30:43

The M&SO jumpers are100% acrylic and cost less than a quarter of most cashmere

CallarMorvern Wed 11-Oct-17 19:47:34

I've always been a natural fibres girl, but bought two viscose ( OK, not totally synthetic as made from plant fibres) jumpers last year, one from Lidl and one from Sainsbury's, both hang nicely and have worn really well ( no bobbling). Otherwise I like Merino, but accept I need to shave it every now and then. I have a love hate relationship with cashmere, modern stuff seems to be too fluffy, vintage cut too short, but it is warm and soft.
But my best tip for keeping warm is - wear a vest! I wear Primark strappy vests - they are cheap and wash and wear really well.

Grumpyteens Wed 11-Oct-17 19:50:45

I have some 5 year + M&s jumpers that are every bit as warm as the cashmere I own. Except they are 100% more hard-wearing, look as good as the day I bought them and have been washed and tumbled countless times.

Sounds like my kind of jumper. What are they made of?

Toffeelatteplease Wed 11-Oct-17 21:00:53

They were 100% acrylic v necks from marks outlet. £7 at the time they were a bargain. they look remarkably similar these current ones here. Not exciting but smart enough to look good day to day and not be worried about damaging them.

Yes to vests. Especially thermal ones.

MsUnderstanding Wed 11-Oct-17 21:28:47

fleece

Grumpyteens Wed 11-Oct-17 23:36:59

Thanks.smile

silkpyjamasallday Wed 11-Oct-17 23:53:08

Uniqlo U collection is launching tomorrow, lots of jumpers with a merino or cashmere mix with synthetic fibres. I'm planning on ordering two tomorrow for me and a few for DP as all our cashmere and merino jumpers were eaten by moths, these are significantly cheaper than decent 100% cashmere or merino and will hopefully wash well too. And maybe not attract the moths

ilovecherries Thu 12-Oct-17 07:53:02

I have the jumpers that latte mentions. I've always been a bit snooty about my knitwear, but about 5 years ago I was in hospital for 10 days, with a long rehab at home after. I hate wearing pyjamas and dressing gowns but wasn't really well enough to be dressed up, so I bought a few of these to wear with vests and pull on jersey trousers. I was sure they'd have a very limited life, but didn't want anyone else enthusiastically washing my nice knitwear, so they were def stop gap measures. Bloody things won't die. They've had stuff spilled on them, sleeves pushed up, used for months with crutches, bunged in a normal wash, accidentally tumble dried, flung in a cupboard without moth balls and fabric bags and still they flourish. I even lost a lot of weight this year and thought that would give me the perfect reason to dump them, but they even look good oversized. I still love knitwear made from natural fabrics, but nothing is as resilient as these!

Parmesanity Thu 12-Oct-17 08:05:51

I always go to TKMaxx for merino or cashmere and have had some gorgeous jumpers from there over the years. It can take patience to root through stuff but I think it's worth it.

I have a Kenar cashmere jumper, from TKMaxx, about £40, slightly longer line, which is so warm and comfortable, washes well on delicates and looks like new two years on.

Strummerville Thu 12-Oct-17 08:16:14

Another wool / cashmere fan here. I don't find them difficult to care for, just bung in the machine on a gentle wash, dry flat, fine.

I am also the proud / besotted owner of an alpaca jumper now...oh my sweet lord, it is so warm and light.

I don't buy acrylic, but just to mitigate the fabric snobbery, I'm quite partial to a polyester fleece when staying in for a couch day.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 12-Oct-17 08:35:40

TK Maxx is amazing. My local one is full of racks of merino and cashmere at the minute.

I've got some amazing bargains, there's some odd styles reduced like bell sleeves which are easy to alter.

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 12-Oct-17 08:40:43

Cashmere for me. I hate the squeaky, sweaty feel of manmades.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 12-Oct-17 23:17:13

Uni glo cashmere ! Highly recommend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now