Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do you pack away your summer clothes

(22 Posts)
PollyPerky Wed 11-Oct-17 15:31:29

and if you do, have you done it now?

I have so little wardrobe space. I tend to put cardis, tops and some knitwear on hangers otherwise it gets impossibly creased on the shelf (and not much shelf room), so need to pack away a few summer dresses.

BexleyRae Wed 11-Oct-17 15:33:56

I do, my dresses/tops/shorts have been packed away and jumpers taken out ready for wearing.
In fact I'm wearing a big wooly jumper now cos it's chilly

PNGirl Wed 11-Oct-17 15:37:15

No, as I tend to wear summer t shirts as layers in winter. There is a bit of stripy navy vest strap peeking out from under my navy jumper today.

All my clothes fit in my wardrobes anyway so there's no point cluttering up elsewhere. I do move my thick jumpers and coats into the spare bedroom during summer though.

AnnabelleLecter Wed 11-Oct-17 15:45:40

Yes I have packed away my just summer clothes in a small drawer as there aren't that many items that don't do other seasons too. A couple of strappy cotton dresses, a denim mini skirt that doesn't look right with tights and boots, shorts and some vest tops.

Holland00 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:52:42

I do, I did it last weekend.

LadyLapsang Wed 11-Oct-17 16:10:50

Yes, I'm just having a break while the shoe cupboard dries before sorting out the winter boots /shoes and packing up my summer sandals. Most summer clothes are now in the loft and the winter coats / jumpers are out. Good time to take things to charity shop, throw things away and stock up on shoe polish etc.

chloechloe Wed 11-Oct-17 17:58:36

I rotate my stuff to the back of the wardrobe shelf. Stuff is folded in two rows, with the front row being stuff currently on season. Anything that is usually hung also gets folded and put to the back of the shelf.

CiderwithBuda Wed 11-Oct-17 18:02:28

Sort of. Some years I'm more organised than others!

I'm going to Australia in November so need summer stuff then. It's currently mostly in the spare room waiting for me to sort out what I will actually take and sort other stuff for charity or storage.

Desperately need to sort shoes/sandals/boots etc.

wellhonestly Wed 11-Oct-17 18:04:00

I pack away short sleeved things, ankle socks, cotton or linen skirts and trousers (east Coast of Scotland here, brrr!) Into a suitcase in exchange for "winter" things (polo neck sweaters, woollen skirts, big coats, hats scarves gloves thick tights etc) and then into the bottom of the hallway cupboard. I did the changeover about 3 weeks ago. My wardrobe and drawers don't have room for everything so I like to concentrate on the stuff I can actually wear for the season.

Daisymay2 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:15:21

Yep. Wash and iron short sleeved and linen etc things and then vacuum them down. Interestingly if they go in a vac bag they don't seem to crease badly. Have retired this year, so sorting out work (only) clothes for a charity shop and looking hard at things that I made do with for one more year.
We had an influx of carpet beetle once ( birds's nests in the eves being the source apparently ) and we found vaccum bags helped kill them off ( and clearing out the nests)
I do the same for winter clothes during the summer.

ontherightpath Wed 11-Oct-17 19:09:18

yes, things like sandals, strappy sun dresses, light weight cropped trousers etc. were stored away a couple of weeks ago. They go into 2 drawers in my bedroom which hold winter jumpers, scarfs, wool dresses and so on during the summer. All footwear is polished and sent for new heels / soles before being stored. Winter coats are sent for dry-cleaning before being put away for the summer.

CountFosco Wed 11-Oct-17 19:10:41

There are so few items in my wardrobe that are just for summer it hardly seems worthwhile. I think I have fewer clothes than a lot of people though.

Therealslimshady1 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:32:18

I am packing up all my lovely sleeveless tops,and summer dresses, espadrilles and out come my winter boots and knits....

I live on the South coast and get lots of wear out of my summer stuff....winters here have just been wet and warm last few years, how on earth to dress for that...yuck

LindyHemming Wed 11-Oct-17 19:35:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleWingSoul Wed 11-Oct-17 20:25:22

Yes, I do this every year and it's a good time to weed out stuff that hasn't been worn all summer. I vacuum pack it and then put it in suitcases under the bed. I've read that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner the last time something is washed before storing... something to do with fabric deteriorating?

NikiBabe Wed 11-Oct-17 20:26:54

I dont pack them away and you may have jumped the gun.

It will be 21c in London and SE this weekend. Just right for a dress and sandals.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 11-Oct-17 20:33:32

I packed away things like dresses I wear bare legged at the beginning of last month, along with short-sleeved t-shirts and sandals. They get vacuum bagged and put on the shelf on top of the wardrobe. Stuff like Breton tops which are mainly too lightweight to wear now have been moved to the bottom rail of the wardrobe. Heavy knits are still up at the top, lighter ones are in rotation, along with skirts for wearing with opaques. I have a week off work shortly and plan to haul everything out and have a good sort out, with things going on eBay and to the charity shop.

LittleWingSoul Wed 11-Oct-17 20:35:39

I heard that Niki! Leggings and longline top ok for that weather. Pregnant anyway so in reality I'm rotating a small amount of my wardrobe as it is!

Hippywannabe Wed 11-Oct-17 21:42:35

I do but am away for half term in the sun so it will have to wait!

TheOtherGirl Wed 11-Oct-17 22:11:41

Yes. Have decanted all my t-shirts, summery dresses, tops and sandals into the wardrobe in the guest bedroom. Now have all my Autumn/Winter clothes in the wardrobe in our bedroom.

oldlaundbooth Thu 12-Oct-17 01:14:19

I haven't yet but I need to get on it.

Live abroad with hot summers and cold winters so you really do need two sets of clothes.

Therealslimshady1 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:12:16

I always keep one denim skirt out for a last unexpected warm day

In fact, have not worn tights yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: