Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

So, I buy a pair of boots....

(17 Posts)
SukiTheDog Wed 11-Oct-17 14:51:02

I went to buy some Dublin River Boots. A bit like the Dubarry ones, but less expensive. Now, I know you get what you pay for but one might expect that an outdoor boot might come with the expectation of keeping one’s socks dry within?

I was at the checkout, card in hand and casually said “my old boots have started to crack at the sole so, it’ll be nice going into winter dog walking knowing I’ll have toasty warm feet again”. The woman serving me then went into a whole spiel about NOT guaranteeing dry feet. In a boot billed as a “River Boot”. She said they were NOT for puddles, definitely not for rivers and when I asked about wet grass in fields she said “we can’t guarantee it”.

Fuck me! Am I daft? How on earth can they sell these £160 boots with the warning “if you absolutely don’t want damp/wet socks, don’t buy”?

I put them back, obviously.

PNGirl Wed 11-Oct-17 15:29:55

Um... What? Their website says:

The Dublin River Boot are classic styled, HBR® waterproof, redskin leather country boots. The boot features HBR® Waterproof and breathable membrane which keeps feet cool and dry.

I understand her warning people that standard leather boots are not waterproof as so many people think they are, but Dublin River boots are sold as wellies!

RatherBeRiding Wed 11-Oct-17 16:20:58

Dublin River boots are rubbish. I'm horsey and everyone I know has at least one pair of "country boots" and no-one has a good word to say about Dublin River. Tbh most of these very expensive "country boots" are not that waterproof. I have a pair of Ariats (bought with about 60% off in a sale) that aren't too bad, can cope with short wettish grass etc and keep my feet warm but they are NOT and never have been 100% waterproof.

PhelanGood Wed 11-Oct-17 16:25:11

Seconding Ariat! I just invested in a £160 pair of Ariat Windermere boots and they're the best thing ever... Gorgeous looking n have done a good job of keeping my feet dry so far, I did waterproof them again with a spray though! If you want truly waterproof ones you can literally hose down to clean you need gore tex I think like in the Dubarry range. I tried a pair of Dubarry's, but they weren't as comfortable soles (no arch support tech) and also I wasn't keen on the look of them. Or price!

StillMissV Wed 11-Oct-17 16:37:05

Ooooo I’m looking for some boots like this so I’d definitely be interested in recommendations!

SukiTheDog Wed 11-Oct-17 17:40:37

The woman at the shop said none of them can claim absolute waterproofing. If I wanted that, Wellingtons were the answer.

There’s no way I’m buying Dubarry.

I just don’t get that a boot, for outdoor “work” cannot be guaranteed NOT to leak.

WutheringTights Wed 11-Oct-17 18:13:24

Have you tried Teva? I have a pair and regularly go tramping through mud, grass, puddles etc. I’ve had mine two years and have toasty dry feet!

WutheringTights Wed 11-Oct-17 18:16:29

How about these? And they’re in the sale. https://www.teva.co.uk/1012437.html?dwvar10124377_color=BRN#start=7&cgid=outlet-women

TronaldDump Wed 11-Oct-17 18:20:05

I've got two pairs of timberland boots which I've used for walking the dog through all sorts for the last couple of years. They've kept my feet warm and dry throughout. Admittedly they don't have the 'posh country' look you get with Ariat but they're really comfy.

SukiTheDog Wed 11-Oct-17 19:00:03

Thanks for suggestions....I’ll have a look

RatherBeRiding Thu 12-Oct-17 10:51:31

I think the thing with the country boots is that you can ride in them. And they are a lot sturdier than wellies for when horses jump on your feet. For non-equine activities like walking the dogs then I'd rather have a stout pair of wellies at a fraction of the cost and are definitely waterproof.

Arseface Thu 12-Oct-17 11:00:55

I've got these, Nat-2 boots
Definitely riverproof, sturdier than wellies and a little better looking.
I also have a dog called Sukie!

SukiTheDog Thu 12-Oct-17 11:11:56

Arseface, they look promising.

My childhood dog was Suki. Now long gone and missed. I have this hairy, muddy, water loving girl now... pics of the dirty version and the couch version 😊. Hence, the boots.

Arseface Thu 12-Oct-17 11:20:05

Yep, you definitely need river proof! Love the butter wouldn't melt pic too.
Here's my Sukie (the one whose gone right in)and her partner in crime.

SukiTheDog Thu 12-Oct-17 12:38:18

😄😄😄

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Thu 12-Oct-17 12:39:54

I've got some Shires country boots I use for dog walking. I asked in the shop if they were waterproof, told they were. Have been in puddles and a quick dip in the sea with no problems.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:55:40

I used to have Dublin Rivers and I wasn't sold on them. I now have Toggi Canyons and honestly they're brilliant for me. Cannot fault them at all. I have worn them, no exaggeration, every single day for the past 4 years, in heavy mud, wet weather, whatever (I'm a farmer) and they have only justttt started to let in a touch of water if I stand in a stream. I think that's good going myself!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: