Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

where to buy bras with a smaller than 28" rib cage?

(18 Posts)
4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 13:55:53

I'm currently wearing 30E/F. Started exercising a lot more and eating well, and my rib cage has really decreased (was wearing 32DD a few weeks ago).

I'm short and small framed, so it's not unlikely that 28 will be too big at some point. And suggestions where I'll be able to buy bras that fit?

PollyPerky Wed 11-Oct-17 14:00:59

Never seen any under 28 inches unless you want to try 'teen bras' but then the cups would be too small. A 28 back is tiny! I measure 28-29 but find a 30 inch or sometimes a 32 acceptable.

TuckMyWin Wed 11-Oct-17 14:05:57

I have very narrow frame and technically am a 28, but often find a 30 more comfortable. Some bras come up smaller than others. I'd say if you really do end up less than a 28, your lack of 'padding' will mean you'll find something slightly bigger than your actual measurement more comfortable, if you see what I mean.

4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 14:08:50

I thought a 28 would be tiny....but even in this 30 I'm wearing now one of the straps has started falling down my shoulder (a sign the bra is too wide in the back, as the straps are too far apart for the width of mt shoulders).

I'm 5'3, slim, but far from skinny, and really enjoying getting fit and toned. Lots of petite women are smaller than me, I'm wondering where they buy their bras, or if they're all stuck in the wrong sizes.

TuckMyWin Wed 11-Oct-17 14:12:09

What's your actual rib cage measurement? It might be the style of bra that's causing the problem. I am also 5'3 with very narrow shoulders, and have that issue in some bras and not others.

WhyteKnyght Wed 11-Oct-17 14:16:12

There are various options for 26 backs with large cup sizes. You can get them custom made from Polish firms over the internet, e.g. Ewa Michalak. You can also buy 28 backs and wear them on the tightest hook from the beginning instead of waiting for them to stretch, or select ones that come up unusually small. Or you can get standard 28s altered by a seamstress. But tbh if you're currently wearing a 30 back I wouldn't worry about it too much yet: 4 inches is a lot to lose off your ribcage so it may never happen.

4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 14:20:09

Good point! Just measured and I'm 31 inches around the rib cage.

I'm rotating 2 bras I got from bravissimo (was fitted properly). One's a longline, and today I'm wearing a t-short style bra. It's just started falling off the shoulders, and definitely feels looser than when I first put it on a few weeks ago.

Will see how it goes, I don't want to rush out and spend lots of money if I'm going to change size again in a few weeks. I've given up gluten, and I'm usually really bloated and I think that was making my rib cage fuller, hence why it's shrunk so rapidly after a few weeks of exercise and healthier eating.

4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 14:21:12

I'm on the tightest hook now, I was on the loosest a few weeks ago.

Redken24 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:22:24

Depends on the brand completely. Freya bras I find are not good for a 30. Where did u get your measurement from? I am around the same as you except I wear a 30H. If you have been properly sized ignore the next link.
booborbust.com

Redken24 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:23:06

T shirt style are usually padded/moulded. Polish bras are the business lol amazing fit.

4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 14:27:28

Thanks for the link Redken am fully on board with the boob or bust method smile.

Years ago, when I was slimmer, M&S would stick me in a 34B. I'm wearing a Freya bra today, was measured last year in Bravissimo.

I know I need to get measured again, but holding out til next month as I suspect I'll lose a few more pounds before then, and I can't afford to keep buying new bras every month!

PollyPerky Wed 11-Oct-17 14:27:58

Have you considered that the style is the cause of the shoulder straps slipping off? I find I can't wear balcony bras for that reason; the straps are set further apart in that style. It's nothing to do with the back being too big. I find plunge styles are better.
Also, sizes vary within brands. I've recently ordered 5 bras from M&S. I kept one. A 30D . All the others were the same size but one I could barely fasten, another was too big, and another had tiny cups.

4amwriter Wed 11-Oct-17 14:29:20

Possibly. The longline bra is the most comfortable I've ever worn. It's a bit of a bugger to get on though!!

Redken24 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:33:39

Freya bras are not a good 30 fit I found? I have a few and they just don't fit.

furryelephant Wed 11-Oct-17 14:48:57

a 28 band from Boux Avenue fits more like a 26 smile

furryelephant Wed 11-Oct-17 14:49:35

Or you can get a product called a Rixie Clip which tightens the band

TuckMyWin Wed 11-Oct-17 19:10:56

I agree that Boux avenue come up small.

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Wed 11-Oct-17 19:57:45

I've given up wearing one. A 28C is near impossible to find.

I either don't bother or wear a bralet type thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: