Talk

Advanced search

How to style the Whistles'Lola dress

(13 Posts)
ilovecherries Tue 10-Oct-17 18:10:10

Ok, I know it's a ridiculous price for viscose, etc etc, but I saw it, fell in love and treated myself. Now I'm struggling to style it because it's not really a winter dress, although it's a lovely winter colour. I'd had it in my mind that I'd wear it with a cropped cardigan but that's not working because of the sleeves. Would it look daft with a fine knit black or navy jumper underneath? I could just wear a low cut vest, but it still leaves cold arms. I really want to keep it, but can't be cold all the time! And it was too expensive not to wear at least once a week.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 10-Oct-17 19:11:02

Well, I hate to say it, but mine (a lovely printed version) ended up on eBay for the same reason. I wore it a couple of times with a long-sleeved UNiqlo heat-tech top underneath, but it just didn't really work on me. (You could try a thin turtleneck, but again, it didn't work for me.)

CointreauVersial Tue 10-Oct-17 19:16:48

Mine is summer wear only - although a full length cardi is just about OK.

ilovecherries Tue 10-Oct-17 19:26:02

I feared as much sad. I do love it, but it's beginning to feel a bit impractical. For the price, it needs to work.

Lovely colour.

Could it work with opaques, ankle boots and a biker jacket before it gets really cold? Short sleeved thermal t-shirt underneath?
Or with a longish slouchy black cardigan over it?

Pigeonpost Tue 10-Oct-17 19:44:11

I'd wear that with a long sleeved t-shirt underneath. I've got a mustard cheapie one from H&M that I wear under a short sleeved grey dress.

ChinUpChestOut Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:03

I think I'd wear that with a v-neck short sleeved thermal t-shirt underneath, if I was somewhere indoors that wasn't very warm. I think you have to work out exactly where you'd wear it - to the office if that's where you work? For a dinner out? Most indoor places in the winter have reasonable heating, and the sleeves aren't that short. Wide-ish, but not short. Right now, many places may not have their heating on which is why you might think you'd be cold, but maybe when the winter kicks in and everyone's heating goes on, you'd be OK.

Love these dresses. Except I ironed a massive hole in mine with a hotel iron.

ilovecherries Tue 10-Oct-17 20:58:06

I've ordered a couple of fine knit tops to see if anything works. It does look good with opaques and ankle boots, so just need to sort the top out. Will be really disappointed if it needs to go back. I'm self employed, so work largely from home but thought it would be good for client meetings/lunches etc. It's rare for me to impulsively fall in love with something, but this jumped off the rail and followed me down the escalator screaming 'take me!'

LaurieFairyCake Tue 10-Oct-17 21:11:50

It’s lovely! I think the best part of the styling is the three quarter sleeves - bracelet length?

Wear a coat to client meetings and then take it off? (Plus a longer style cashmere glove) Most places are completely over heated aren’t they.

VivaVegas Tue 10-Oct-17 21:53:11

I have several of these and when it's colder I wear it with opaques, ankle boots and a leather biker jacket. If it's colder I just wear a nice vest under!

tomatoplantproject Tue 10-Oct-17 21:58:08

I love mine, although its now on its last legs (cost per wear v good). In winter I wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt or vest, opaques and boots/loafers/brogues, and summer with bare legs and sandals.

feelinginthedark Tue 10-Oct-17 22:28:14

I wore my red one to death last winter and am planning to buy again this winter. Thick black tights and boots as others have said, I wore mine in the evenings a bit with dangly simple earrings and no top underneath and liked that it was a bit drapy. Then during the day with a top underneath and sometimes a longer cardigan in work (boring though). Love the ideas of a fine knit or contrasting colour t shirt on here though and will try!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now