Talk

Advanced search

How did you have your wedding makeup?

(19 Posts)
Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 10-Oct-17 14:53:02

I’m not asking people to post their own photos as I understand that it could be outing.

I was just wondering (and looking for inspiration) what style people had their wedding makeup? Dewy, matte, smokey eye, red lip, natural, bronzed?

Also, is it hard to do your own makeup for the day? Kind of worried that if I did then it’d be half off by the reception (not that it normally is but doing a lot more than the average day). Also worried that a makeup artist wouldn’t have a foundation pale enough for me.

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated smile

BumbleNova Tue 10-Oct-17 15:31:59

I had planned something quite dramatic but actually went for something very natural on the day. my face but better, IYKWIM. I did my own and it was fine. it looks really good in the photos. Get a good primer to keep it in place and do lots of trial runs. I was doing my "wedding make up" for work for weeks so I could do it in my sleep on the day, even with shaky hands. it also meant I could really see how well it stayed put or not.

there are loads of good tutorials out there - I particularly like lisa eldridge and pixiwoo. lots of good inspiration for ideas and make looks.

twostepsister Tue 10-Oct-17 15:41:36

I went to a beauty salon and had a practice run but wasn't impressed with the results as I looked over made up. I went to the Clarins counter at Debenhams and was really impressed with the results and booked the same lady to do my make up on the morning of my wedding.

NiteFlights Tue 10-Oct-17 15:58:37

I did my own, but I went to Bobbi Brown and had my makeup done a few weeks before. It was a bit heavy but I bought almost all the products the lady used - it was a big help with choosing colours etc. My skin is sensitive and I wanted to be sure it wouldn't react to the foundation etc.

I think I achieved a good balance between looking good in real life and in the photos. I look very natural in the photos but am happy with that.

I also did my Dsis's wedding makeup which looked great if I say so myself.

I'd say go with a look that is 'you' - don't try out a whole new look for your wedding.

rubybleu Tue 10-Oct-17 16:48:45

I went for a smoky eye and a red lip. I got married in the depths of winter so it was appropriate for me.

sourpatchkid Tue 10-Oct-17 16:54:56

Everyone I know did their own- try Bobbi brown, MAc or charlotte tilbury products

Sarahh2014 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:20:16

Smokey eye nude lip, lightly tanned skin

bananafanana1 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:23:48

I had a make up artist- it’s a good job I did I trial as I thought I wanted heavy smokey eyes but they looked too heavy for me so I went for something lighter in the end. I did time my trial to be on the day of my hen do which meant I had my make up done for the night! grin

Hippadippadation Tue 10-Oct-17 17:26:03

I went natural. My SIL did it for me.

CJCreggsGoldfish Tue 10-Oct-17 17:29:00

I did my own and went quite natural - I just wanted to look like me but better! I had a trial at MAC before to get advice on colours and products, then practiced at home.

confused123456 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:29:16

I never wear makeup (barring a few nights out at uni), so I didn't wear any at all. But if I had I'd of gone natural, and I'd certainly of had a professional do it (I can not apply makeup to save my life. The only day of the year I would do my makeup is if I was getting dressed up for Halloween, because I could say it's Halloween, it's not meant to be done well)

TheOtherGirl Tue 10-Oct-17 20:58:35

I had a Bobbi Brown make-up artist do mine. Quite a smoky eye with a few added lashes for extra flutter and then a nude/pink glossy lip.

My dress was quite theatrical so a very natural face would have looked odd.

OpheIiaBaIIs Tue 10-Oct-17 21:03:52

My dress was burgundy with a William Morris embroidered chapel train so needed something quite gutsy make-up wise. I had smoky eyes, probably too dark in retrospect, and just a little benetint on my lips and cheeks.

It was easy to do myself - just a more precise, dramatic version of my everyday look. Took me about 15 minutes - a whole five minutes more than my usual look!

eyebrowseyebrows Tue 10-Oct-17 21:10:00

I'm doing my own and following the tutorial for this look...

It's a winter wedding with quite dark, dramatic colours so feel like that warrants the more dramatic eyes (plus they're my best feature)...

MeatAndPotato Tue 10-Oct-17 21:14:41

That look should be pretty easy with some practise (of course unless your not at all experienced with eye makeup and slight contouring etc), have you chosen your false eyelashes yet? If you’re using strip ones I would reccomend red cherry or HudaBeauty x

CantChoose Tue 10-Oct-17 21:22:08

Going against the grain here but I had mine done and I’m so glad I did.
It stayed in place much better than when I do my own and looked a million times better (I’m not terrible at doing it myself either!).
I went for a fairly natural look, a matte finish, slightly smoky eye and a dusky pink lip. It was all a little stronger than I’d usually do day to day.

eyebrowseyebrows Tue 10-Oct-17 21:54:14

In terms of getting it to stay in place all day:

- Use a good primer
- Set your foundation with powder
- Use a make up setting spray
- Use Urban Decay Potion eyeshadow primer, it will stop your eye shadow creasing or moving.

eyebrowseyebrows Tue 10-Oct-17 21:56:03

I'm going to have individual false lash extensions applied the day before (last 2-3 weeks) as then I don't need to bother with mascara on my top lashes at all...

Lesley1980 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:11:34

I had a make up artist & I had a look similar to the one posted above. My eye makeup was mauve/purple so not as dark as the picture.

I did initially feel caked in make up but I got used to it, it's the best I've ever looked, I could never have done it that well & the make up looked really good in pictures. My make up artist used a lot of No7 make up & it lasted all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now