Talk

Advanced search

Best way to cover grey

(4 Posts)
MustBeThursday Tue 10-Oct-17 14:03:45

I’m starting to get some grey hairs coming through - not loads, just a few visible but my hair is dark so quite obvious.

I’ve never dyed my hair apart from a few wash in/out colours in my teens and I have no idea what the best way to disguise them is. What’s the best/easiest to maintain way of covering them? Dying my hair a similar shade to my natural colour? Highlights? I don’t think blonde would suit as my eyes, eyebrows and lashes are all very dark. My hair is brown and takes on a chestnut/coppery tone in the sun

Nettletheelf Tue 10-Oct-17 14:28:38

I had the same dilemma and the hairdresser suggested having some lighter brown highlights. I have them under my parting so that regrowth isn't so obvious. I'm really pleased with it. It needs redoing every three months or so.

Hairdresser reckons that if you attempt to dye the hair to your 'natural' colour you get these problems:

1. On very dark hair, grey root growth is very obvious so you're forever doing your roots.

2. As your skin ages (I'm 46 so not a problem at present), dark hair doesn't necessarily look as good and can be a bit harsh.

3. If you've put a permanent colour on, it can affect the way lighter colours look if you later decide to go down the highlights road.

I still look dark, but the lighter colours blend the greys really well.

Madbengalmum Tue 10-Oct-17 14:31:46

Isn't balayage your best option for a few greys?

MustBeThursday Tue 10-Oct-17 14:38:21

Ah I didn’t realise you could have highlight under the roots, nettle.

I’ve just had to google what balayage is blush it looks sort of like a dip dye? But that wouldn’t hide it further up? Mine are mostly visible when my hair is tied up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now