Talk

Advanced search

Hourglass or inverted triangle ?

(15 Posts)
revolution909 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:48:17

I've looked at a few "body type calculators" and the ones that don't ask for shoulder measurements have me as an hourglass, however the ones that do ask for them have me as an inverted triangle. I know I have broad shoulders, but my waist is tiny in comparison to my bust and hips and my hips and bust are more or less the same. Which one would you go for?

Are your shoulder in line with your hips?

revolution909 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:15:45

It really depends on my posture If i move my shoulders all the way to the back then I would say . In a more relaxed position I reckon you can see that they're definitely broader.

Hairq Tue 10-Oct-17 15:30:21

I'm the same. Neither seems to work for me - following advice for inverted triangles doesn't highlight
My little waist enough, but lots of hourglass recommended clothes make my shoulders look enormous.

revolution909 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:40:46

@Hairq So how do you dress in the end? I've figured out that tight strapless dresses kind of make sense for my shape, but in the colder months they really aren't much use! But yup exactly same issue then!

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 10-Oct-17 15:47:49

Hourglass and inverted triangle shape is too simplistic to be useful in my experience.

Try this quiz instead: What is my body type

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 10-Oct-17 15:53:03

That wasn't the link I thought it was. Looking for the right one.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 10-Oct-17 15:58:51

This is what I was looking for:
www.whowhatwear.co.uk/how-to-find-body-shape-calculator

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 10-Oct-17 16:00:37

Specifically the link to Bradley Bayou and his 48 shapes, not 4.

Oblomov17 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:04:55

Benchmarking
Back later

revolution909 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:39:38

Definitely inverted triangle then :/

rightknockered Tue 10-Oct-17 19:16:39

I have the same problem OP, basically an hourglass with broad shoulders. If I do the quiz in that link, I'm an inverted triangle. But when I look at my reflection I look like an hourglass rather than an inverted triangle.
I can't really wear details around my shoulders so no frills etc. I find that a pencil skirt works if the top is fitted and in a dark colour. I bought a velvet pencil skirt lately and the texture seems to add some weight and balances out my shoulders. V neck rather than crew neck. Belted waists not always good, for some reason make my shoulders look huge, they only work if loosely belted so a trench coat, or belted jacket rather than a cinched in belt.

rightknockered Tue 10-Oct-17 19:19:09

I bought this dress recently and it was flattering without making me look too sexy

rightknockered Tue 10-Oct-17 19:20:16

I find in general clothes in Whistles fit my shape better than other shops, they cut for a broader shoulder, but a pear shape, so if I size up in dresses I get a pretty decent fit.

revolution909 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:52:03

I'll check it out! I tried a trench coat at burberry a couple of weeks ago and it was perfect, ame for a coat at Ted Baker... But I'm struggling with dresses for the colder months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now