Talk

Advanced search

Navy tights - opinions please!

(9 Posts)
WhyteKnyght Tue 10-Oct-17 12:28:50

I have several navy skirts but a bit stuck on what to wear them with. Nude tights starting to look too summery. Black tights fine, but limit me to black shoes and I have tan brogues and navy flats that I'd like to wear with them sometimes. I'm not a fan of coloured tights, e.g. pewter or grey: they just don't suit me, at all. Am now wondering about navy tights, but looking around over the last couple of weeks for style inspiration (I work in an area where there are lots of students and twentysomethings to be seen) literally the navy tights I could spot on display were sported either by primary school girls or by my septuagenarian mother (who is very old-fashioned and of the "never wear black with navy" school of thought so wouldn't dream of pairing her navy dresses with anything else).

Thinking about it, I realise that the last time I wore navy tights was indeed as part of school uniform. confused What is the current thinking on navy tights, stylish people? Are they stylish when worn with navy skirts and shoes, or will I reek of primary school/OAP chic? If they're a no-no, what do you wear on your legs to go with navy when you don't want to wear black shoes?

Paintbox Tue 10-Oct-17 12:34:59

I think navy tights are fine but I must admit that I never understand the angst in here about navy and what it goes with. We wouldn't hesitate to wear very dark grey with black, or very dark green with black or very dark red with black. So why can't we wear very dark blue with black?

WhyteKnyght Tue 10-Oct-17 12:41:56

Oh I agree, and I do wear black with navy all the time when it's a navy skirt with black tights and shoes. But yesterday I put on a navy skirt with black tights and then added brown brogues and just thought it was a bit...much. I don't think I could wear navy skirt, black tights, navy shoes either, in much the same way that I wouldn't wear black skirt, navy tights, black shoes. I think it depends on how you pair the black and navy as to whether it works or not.

Caulkheadupnorf Tue 10-Oct-17 12:43:12

I wear navy tights a lot. They’re fine. M&S 80 denier are the best.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 10-Oct-17 12:52:31

I always wear navy tights. I wouldn’t wear 3 different colours on the lower half like you described look weird - ie. black skirt, navy tights, tan shoes - too many colours. IMO 2 have to match.

CountFosco Tue 10-Oct-17 12:56:33

If I have a navy dress or skirt on with navy shoes I'd definitely wear navy tights. Burgundy shoes I'd either wear navy or burgundy tights. Tan shoes I'd probably wear navy tights (and either have a tan belt or bag). Black shoes I'd either wear black or navy tights but If navy would need black somewhere else in my outfit so the shoes looked deliberate.

I didn't wear a uniform at school so love wearing navy, I wear it

WhyteKnyght Tue 10-Oct-17 13:14:04

Right, navy tights it is then: off to M&S this weekend!

Those are excellent tips about making colour combinations look "deliberate" by adding an extra accessory, CountFosco, thanks. I'm reasonably stylish normally, but really struggle with putting colours together for some reason.

RhiannonOHara Tue 10-Oct-17 17:02:18

Bit late to this, but personally I like contrasting colours and would wear mustard tights with navy skirts. With either tan or navy shoes.

I'd also wear wine-coloured tights with them. Wine tights with tan shoes look lovely IMO.

Mimifox Tue 10-Oct-17 19:28:14

Navy dress/skirt
Navy tights ....always.
30 denier M&S or if sweater type dress Falke

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now