Talk

Advanced search

Beautiful tweed

(15 Posts)
SilverHawk Mon 09-Oct-17 21:04:18

I accidentally bought two meters of lovely Scottish tweed when I was on holiday.
What garment grin would look stunning???

If you have a pattern, even better !

travailtotravel Mon 09-Oct-17 21:05:33

A lovely fitted jacket. Smart. Warm. Wearable casual. Wearable smart.

SilverHawk Mon 09-Oct-17 21:17:12

I would love that but is two meters enough?

Floisme Mon 09-Oct-17 22:33:09

How lovely, tweed is possibly my favourite cloth. I have no idea what you can make with 2 metres (how wide is it?) but there's a long running sewing thread around somewhere and I bet they could advise you.

Or find a local dressmaker / tailor who can turn it into something beautiful?

Or just sell it to me grin

Paintbox Mon 09-Oct-17 22:36:33

An amazing skirt?

WeeM Mon 09-Oct-17 22:49:18

Is it Harris Tweed? Does it have to be clothing because it makes lovely cushions!

ScaryDuck Tue 10-Oct-17 07:33:48

I made myself a lovely pencil skirt from tweed. Think it was a vogue pattern but can't remember. Looks great though! Also agree that cushions would be lovely - maybe you could do both with 2m. Or use the leftovers for make up bags or similar for christmas presents.

SilverHawk Wed 11-Oct-17 21:56:43

I think I'll just wrap it round my shoulders for a while, until it speaks to me!
No, I'm not going batty but I want to understand the drape grin
I'm wondering about a Tilton pattern.

SilverHawk Wed 11-Oct-17 22:01:39

Or Mizono

FlaviaAlbia Wed 11-Oct-17 22:12:05

2m would be plenty for a skirt, but I doubt it would be enough for a jacket, especially with having to patten match.

I'd go for an amazing skirt and use the extra for something else.

WoodliceAreIdiots Thu 12-Oct-17 20:36:16

I've got a few patterns I'd like to make up in tweed! Merchant and Mills Strides trousers and Haremere Coat (from their Workbook) and a midi skirt (vogue 9090) or maybe Deer and Doe Fumeterre. I've got the patterns but not the tweed though!

SilverHawk Fri 13-Oct-17 21:57:25

I'm not a fan of Merchant & Mills patterns, they need refining.
On the other hand Grainline Studio patterns fit together like a dream.
You've just reminded me of them, I haven't looked for ages because the patterns used to be printed out.

Littlelondoner Sat 14-Oct-17 13:13:58

I love tweed capes. Currently on the hunt for the perfect fabric to make one with.

SilverHawk Mon 16-Oct-17 20:16:33

I like the wool fabrics at Merchant and Mills. I was at the shop and felt a lot of them, all good quality but very pricey.
Try some of the markets in the Midlands. They often have the really good stuff at amazing prices, usually because it's left over from larger orders. (To shops, etc who knows?) There is always enough for the home dressmaker, which is great!

Stanislas Mon 16-Oct-17 21:06:55

Threes a wonderful place near Crieff which sells beautiful tweeds. I bought loads. Look on Pinterest for Cushing bags. Vogue for patterns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now