Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with a wedding dress

(75 Posts)
presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 16:17:16

The one my DDs like best I don't think suits me...

it's this one

It's a lovely dress, but I'm very straight up and down and it seems to highlight my (lack of) waist.

I think I prefer this one but maybe it's too simple, too bridesmaidy.

Is it? I like their Sana dress too but this is a small country wedding, 2nd time for both of us, and I'm not sure it's right

wowfudge Mon 09-Oct-17 16:18:14

How tall are you and what dress size do you wear?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 16:19:19

I like the first one ,it's beautifulsmile

presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 16:20:06

I'm 5 foot 6 and a size 8 in most shops.

presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 16:22:35

Everyone likes the first one, it's a lovely dress and I wish it looked better on me

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 09-Oct-17 16:23:08

The first one is beautiful

Trampire Mon 09-Oct-17 16:24:23

I think they're both lovely. The first one might be gorgeous but if you don't feel stunning in it it's the wrong dress.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Mon 09-Oct-17 16:26:09

The first one does look best to me, but if it doesn't seem right to you, it's not it.

Could you add a sash/bow/flower to the waist of the second one to make it a bit more bridal?

presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 16:28:30

That's it really, i don't feel amazing in it and it makes me feel and look lumpy.

This is the other one. Too much for a fortysomething second time arounder?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 16:32:32

It's not too much ,the arms look like armbands imo though.

SnarkyGorgon Mon 09-Oct-17 16:33:04

Not sure about the odd boob line on the second one, it's the kind of thing that may look amazing on, but that seam looks odd to me. Love the first one and the most recent one you've posted, very glamorous, but understated. Very classy smile

DaisyBD Mon 09-Oct-17 17:22:52

are you dead set on ghost? the quality is not what it used to be - lumpy seams and saggy fabric - and the cut is often very unflattering. I say that as someone who used to absolutely love ghost. I haven't seen anything in ghost in the last five years or more that is of reasonable quality, let alone what you'd want to wear on your wedding day. you absolutely don't want to wear something that doesn't make you feel amazing. I do like the boho vibe and I tried on a couple of ghost dresses for my own wedding six years ago but I'm glad I was talked out of it.

presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 17:55:55

I'm not really, I like the fact that they're chic and not expensive but I admit I'm not impressed with the fit or the seams the

Not sure where else to look that won't blow the budget

ChinUpChestOut Mon 09-Oct-17 18:01:04

What's the maximum you want to pay, and what's the look you're going for/know suits you?

Bodear Mon 09-Oct-17 18:17:56

Hi OP, wear whatever you feel amazing in. That’s the only rule! Your DDs won’t (shouldn’t) let you persuade them into dresses for their weddings that they don’t feel gorgeous in so neither should you.
If you feel amazing you will look it. I promise. Good luck x

Linwin Mon 09-Oct-17 18:34:58

Have you checked out Needle and thread? They do some really pretty long dresses for around the £300 mark.

presentcontinuous Mon 09-Oct-17 18:35:23

My budget is as far under 400 as possible.

I'm after simple, chic and elegant, age appropriate, not fussy....

Thank you Bodear!

Chunkamatic Mon 09-Oct-17 18:43:08

Someone on here posted a link to their dress from Phase Eight. Have a look online they had some nice designs.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 18:46:01

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/wedding-dresses/celestina-wedding-dress/203850801 I love the beading on this

7to25 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:47:40

I recently did some alterations on a top shop wedding dress. It was £400 and I was really impressed with the quality/price.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 18:48:11

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/wedding-dresses/cailyn-wedding-dress/203821801like this one too

gonegrey56 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:49:11

My dd has the first dress ( the Claudia), bought for a white tie ball. It is a fabulous dress and she has had so many compliments on it ( worn it several times since). Her figure is very like yours and it flatters her. The back is gorgeous and that matters with a bridal dress. For what it is worth , I would trust your dds’ judgement!

gonegrey56 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:51:47

I meant to add that I bought her a nude colour waist slip to wear under it, it made the dress hang better ( and no vpl)

StorminaBcup Mon 09-Oct-17 18:52:20

John Lewis have some Phase Eight bridal dresses in stock (and in clearance), that are very similar to the two you have linked above.
Like this one.

StorminaBcup Mon 09-Oct-17 18:52:59

(But I agree with your DD too!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now