Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want pink hair but it won't stay put!

(23 Posts)
whycantwegoonasthree Mon 09-Oct-17 15:15:02

So, had my hair dyed with a Redken semi-permanent dye on Friday. Loved it. Trouble is, it's only Monday, I've washed my hair twice, only very lightly, with a colour protecting shampoo, and it's practically gone. I'm the colour of an apple rose-gold ipad. Which is quite nice, but not what I asked for and it'll be gone completely in a couple more washes.

Anyone know what the problem is? I seem to have this problem with semi-permanents, they just don't seem to stay in my hair. They turn into a wash-in wash-out...

My hair is highlighted from a dark blonde (mousey brown almost) to a light silvery blonde.

Should I just go for a permanent dye? If so, any suggestions?

Help please!

I've had pink hair in the past and found it doesn't last very well at all. I had blonde highlighted hair with a pink slice added and just learnt to top up the pink myself with a cheap Superdrug dye. I didn't keep the pink long as I couldn't be bothered with the upkeep. This was 15 years ago and pink only came in semi-permanent back then.

princesseggo Mon 09-Oct-17 15:47:38

I have pink hair atm (dyed at home with live xxl lightener and twist) and had the same problem with fading.
I alternate between using Bleach London pink shampoo to keep up the pink colour and Touch of Silver shampoo to tone out the orange bits that pink leaves.
I get left with a candyfloss pink colour.

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 09-Oct-17 16:30:47

Is there a baby-pink permanent colour available do you know? Googling hasn't thrown up much... But surely there must be?

Sharkteeth Mon 09-Oct-17 16:38:56

Mix a bit of pink food dye into your conditioner this should help the colour stay put!

Frequency Mon 09-Oct-17 16:41:29

Squirt a smidge of crazy color or the like into your conditioner.

Fashion colors are notoriously bad for staying power.

Platiblanc do a rose-gold, I think is permanent but it's professional use only, so you'd have to find a salon that stocks and uses that line.

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 09-Oct-17 17:05:30

Food colour? Really?

Anyway, I've bough a shit tonne of different semi-permanent colours from amazon - thinking being that if they only take 15 minutes to apply and 15 minutes to develop then I can just dot hat once a week myself at home!

Bought some crazy colour so I can just add to my redken conditioner!

It does seem odd that there aren't many permanent options available...

whycantwegoonasthree Mon 09-Oct-17 17:06:00

Including the bleach london pink one and the shampoo and conditioner...

Bumdishcloths Mon 09-Oct-17 17:10:27

Manic Panic dye always used to work well for me

DollyPartonsBeard Mon 09-Oct-17 17:11:33

DP had pillar box red hair and after much trial and error declared Crazy Color to have the most staying power. If your hair is bleached very light, however, it will be very porous and the colour will struggle to 'cling' to the hair. Shampooing as little as possible, in cool water, with a very gentle shampoo will prolong it for you.

Branleuse Mon 09-Oct-17 17:17:30

Ive had practically every colour and all of these fun bright colours wash out really quickly. You really need to re-do them every week if you want to keep them bright. They will fade every time you wash your hair, and run down your face every time it rains. Do not go swimming either

MarthaArthur Mon 09-Oct-17 17:21:28

I have had this but with green. Get directions dye and put it on for hours (not the usual 30 mins but i mean hours overnight if possible) and top it up after every few washes. Et voila long lasting coloyr.

SirRaymondLuxuryYacht Mon 09-Oct-17 18:09:36

I've dyed my hair many different colours & brands. I found Special Effects Atomic Pink to be the most lasting. In fact it never washed out I dyed over it with a dark purple.
It's quite a bright pink bit but if you want it lighter or pastely mix it with a white conditioner.
I think you can get it on Amazon & Beeunique. Beeunique also has a forum you could ask for info on and some great pics of different dyes.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 09-Oct-17 18:16:07

I've just started using the colour freedom brand. I use their indigo and magenta colours, but they have a pastel additive you can get separately. Am pretty impressed with colour retention to date. I also only wash my hair twice a week which probably helps.

lumleyy Mon 09-Oct-17 18:41:18

best pink hair dye is BLEACH london which you can get in Boots and they have special pink shampoo to use to keep it fresh. Pink is difficult as it sort of fades to a weird peachy orange but definitely try BLEACH

lumleyy Mon 09-Oct-17 18:42:04

also directions hair dye that they sell in Sally is really good, they’re really
bright colours

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 09-Oct-17 18:44:23

I use manic panic. Currently my hair is bright orange red and has lasted three weeks, including a week in the sun and getting immersed in the swimming pool daily. It's a little lighter than it was on the day it was done but it's still vibrant.

NachoAddict Mon 09-Oct-17 18:44:54

I like the directions dye and have been many colours. I always mixed a bit in with my conditioner and left it on for awhile when i wash my hair. You need to wash your hair just once or twice a week if you can.

whycantwegoonasthree Tue 10-Oct-17 10:04:52

Right I've order a shit tonne of different ones from Amazon. Half of me is tempted to put them all on my hair at once and see what happens...

(not really...)

tabulahrasa Tue 10-Oct-17 10:11:00

From lots of experimenting with DD's hair, pastel colours come out easiest, sulphate free shampoo helps... and going longer between washes.

sirbedevere Tue 10-Oct-17 10:20:46

I had bright pink hair for aaaages. It took some upkeep but was doable. I used the Schwarzkopf Live colour (the 8 wash one). The pink one you can use as is from the tube, or mix with conditioner for a more pastel shade. I basically used it as you would a deep conditioner, so once a week I'd top up the colour, have a long shower and let it develop while I shaved my legs etc. Takes about 15-20 mins. And the bonus is that it's not damaging and would leave my hair lovely and shiny. I used about a third / half of the tube so would get 2 weeks out of one box, and I'd buy them when they were on sale in boots 2 for £8 so would average out at just under £2 per week.

ElfrideSwancourt Tue 10-Oct-17 17:11:17

I use the Bleach London shampoo and conditioner so I can have pink hair for home and blonde for school (I’m a part-time teacher). In the holidays I use Directions- they’re a semi-permanent but last quite well

whycantwegoonasthree Wed 11-Oct-17 08:51:54

Jesus. used the Bleach London Rose. Thought "fuck it" and left it on for an hour under some cling film instead of the 15 minutes they recommended.

Got neon hair.

That wouldn't wash out.

Had to use fairy liquid EIGHT TIMES to get it to a reasonable shade of aoft pink.

That said, I seem to have found a dye that doesn't immediately wash out. But I was doing that panicky hyperventilating thing in the bathroom, going "shit shit shit shit shit shit shit".

It's nice now though. And looks like it might stay for a bit. Got the shampoo and conditioner so presumably I can keep it topped up with that?

confused shock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now