Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shellac. Any good?

(5 Posts)
TheOtherGirl Mon 09-Oct-17 12:12:39

Had an OPI manicure on Friday and it's already chipped. Granted I have been doing quite a bit of tidying in the garden over the weekend but I wore heavy gloves.

But my varnish looks a mess and I'm going to have to get them sorted again this week. Does Shellac really last a good 7 days? We're off to London this weekend so need it to still look good.

ineedwine99 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:16:15

When i had shellac nails they would usually last me about 2 weeks, i now do my own nails with cheaper gel polish but i still get about 7-10 days before they lift/chip
Plus once cured your done, no dry time :-)

cansu Mon 09-Oct-17 12:18:41

It does look good and would usually last over a week. However, you can still get a chip though it is much less likely. The biggest down side is the damage it does to your nails. I have had it done twice and my nails have been fragile, breaking and flaking for at least a month afterwards. I am not sure it is worth it.

TheOtherGirl Mon 09-Oct-17 12:26:21

Thanks. I've had gel overlays since the New Year but now that my own nails are a decent length I decided to go au nautrel with them and just have normal manicures.

Think I'll give it a try this week and see how it goes.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Mon 09-Oct-17 14:21:43

I have a Jessica gel manicure around every three weeks, and have never known it to chip or lift at all: I only have it done after that length of time because of nail growth.
Have done so for about a year now, and my nails have suffered no damage at all; if anything, I would say that they are in better condition, as they are protected by the polish.
I wear Marigolds for housework, use nail oil at night, etc.
I also have a gel pedicure around every six weeks: a DIY job doesn't cover my horrible toenails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now