(9 Posts)
Ironfloor Mon 09-Oct-17 10:17:19

Birthday present for DH. Requirements;
- very warm
- lightweight
- durable
- slim fit (ish, not too bulky)
- hooded

I almost bought TNF Trevail Hoodie but then whilst researching some more, saw the Rab Microlight Alpine jacket. The latter 'looks' better than TNF and is supposed to be hydrophobic down which is somewhat water resistant than untreated down.

On the other hand, TNF is TNF, isn't it? It's meant to last forever. Cons are, it's supposed to leak down (haven't heard that about Rab), not as nice-looking as Rab and untreated down (not as water resistant).

Please help me decide. They are both priced similar and both use responsibly sourced down.

Thanks in advance!

MrBloomsLeftVeg Mon 09-Oct-17 10:20:16

RAB has always been the brand for mountaineers for down stuff. Long lasting and worth every penny. North Face was more middle of the road and affordable.

SoPassRemarkable Mon 09-Oct-17 12:50:06

Rab is better quality.

HerOtherHalf Mon 09-Oct-17 12:53:15

Rab every time, all other things being equal.

crabappley Mon 09-Oct-17 12:56:49

Rab

motmot Mon 09-Oct-17 13:08:57

Sorry to chuck a spanner in the works but if it's down you might want to check out the source and supply chain, because obtaining down from birds that are still alive (live plucking) is an issue in the industry. Depends on whether such ethical stuff is a factor for you but Patagonia are pretty hot on it and their products are great imo.

ZaraW Mon 09-Oct-17 13:13:53

I really rate Noronna and Fjalraven but my jackets aren't down which I don't wear for ethical reasons. They are Scandinavian brands and I've worn both in Iceland and the Baltic's in Winter.

Ironfloor Mon 09-Oct-17 16:30:50

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to get the Rab jacket then. 😊

For those who mentioned the ethical sourcing of down, Rab says they use responsibly sourced down, which is one reason I was veering towards the brand.

CoolCarrie Mon 09-Oct-17 16:43:51

Dh has Rab jacket and pair of their trousers as well and they have lasted 4 years and still going strong, so good choice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now