Talk

Advanced search

Really need some moisturizing hair products

(31 Posts)
HALashley Sun 08-Oct-17 23:53:33

My hair is pretty dry at the moment. It's not breaking or anything, it's just really dry and a little brittle. I got some highlights a few weeks ago so I expected it to be a bit dry, so I just used my normal shampoo and conditioner that I've been using for over a year and my hairdresser also uses.

It's a pretty loaded protein shampoo and conditioner, so I'm thinking some moisturizing hair products might help my hair better. Can anyone recommend any moisturizing hair products? (Preferably protein free or as minimal as possible). I also only wash my hair once a week (might sound gross to some people but it's all mine needs). Would really love some suggestions smile

BulletFox Mon 09-Oct-17 00:01:24

Honestly absolutely love organic coconut oil. Just work a small amount in a few hours before washing

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 00:10:08

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately my hair does not work well with pure coconut oil. It stays in for days and I can't get it out in one wash

bingohandjob Mon 09-Oct-17 05:27:47

I love this stuff www.boots.com/loreal-paris-elvive-extraordinary-oil-in-cream-dry-hair-10196863 I've used Moroccanoil and i think the Extraordinary stuff is better.

tellmethetruthy Mon 09-Oct-17 06:15:44

Morrocon oil & ojon oil

BanyanTree Mon 09-Oct-17 06:29:34

Religiously use Moroccan oil after every wash. I've been doing this for 6 years and now my hair is really shiny.
Not sure if it has protein in it but Philip Kingsley's Elasticiser is very good.

I was going to recommend a Keratin treatment but I think Keratin is a protein? That said, it is the best hair conditioning treatment I have had and I do it myself at home for a fraction of the cost.

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 08:02:14

I think keratin is a protein. Would have came in handy last year but I think there's a bit too much protein in my hair just now. I suppose too much of a good thing can be bad?

As for the Moroccanoil, I will definitely give it a shot. I think I used their conditioner a few years ago? A bit heavy then but I had a lot less hair and was using either a Sulfate free shampoo or or co washing it when my hair was still curly. It's just wavy now and I usually just curl it with my straighteners so it could be much better suited for my hair.

Sorry for the rambling, but has anyone tried the Organix range? I've also heard of the Matrix Biolage range being good.

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 08:21:57

bingo thank you for the suggestion! Hopefully this stuff works I'll go down to boots and get some. Have you tried the shampoo and conditioner or just the leave in?

BanyanTree Mon 09-Oct-17 18:01:33

Moroccan oil shampoo and conditioner is too heavy. I only use the oil which is more of a serum. It is very good.

Blackandpurple Mon 09-Oct-17 19:17:05

I use Tigi stuff for curly hair. Tames my dry frizz!

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 20:17:10

I use tigi bed head urban antidotes resurrection. Really good and I love it but as I said it's packed with protein. I was looking through my bathroom and I found and different tigi shampoo that's supposed to be nourishing, so maybe I could give that a whirl

coffeekittens Mon 09-Oct-17 22:22:39

Too much protein is bad for your hair and may be why it feels dry? I'd try something moisturizing and using an oil after washing

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 22:37:47

Thank you, that's what I thought so I'm going to give them a miss for a while. I'm very particular about my shampoos and conditioners so it's just the case of finding the right one

mais Mon 09-Oct-17 22:53:13

I’ve been using Kevin Murphy Balancing Shampoo www.kevinmurphystore.com/shampoo/balancing-wash and have found it to be excellent - worth a try, it’s made my hair much easier to handle. I used to dread having to brush it after washing it as it had gotten so dry from highlights.

plank Mon 09-Oct-17 23:17:19

Another vote for morrocan oil

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 23:18:30

To get coconut oil out of your hair you have to put shampoo on FIRST then water and wash thoroughly twice.

HALashley Mon 09-Oct-17 23:57:13

Thank you Dame but I have tried that. I've even used clarifying shampoo several times in one wash and it still doesn't come out. Conditioner doesn't get it out either so I just don't use it.

I will pick up some morrocanoil products. They're pretty pricey though!

BulletFox Tue 10-Oct-17 03:27:47

I remember reading years ago that you should alternate between protein and moisturising products. I love elasticizer which is protein, it's a shame coconut oil doesn't work for you.

Henna wax conditioner also seems to work brilliantly and it's pretty cheap so you could give it a whirl

prettypetal Tue 10-Oct-17 04:31:10

I don’t really rave about many products but this Palmers leave in conditioner is just .... wow... although this one is for frizz, they also do one for dry hair, the coconut one. I have both, the coconut one leaves hair so soft, the olive oil one is better for smoothness & frizz... Superdrug sell it, I got mine not long ago on 3 for 2 https://uk.palmers.com/olive-oil-formula/134-strengthening-leave-in-conditioner.html

thiskittenbarks Tue 10-Oct-17 04:37:10

Have you tried Opalex? Moroccan oil good too.
Although when I had super dry dry balayage ends my fave thing was the L'Oréal lipidium mask (in a big light yellow tub). No idea if it is full of silicones or whatever (it worked so well I didn't dare look as I knew it would put me off if it did)

thiskittenbarks Tue 10-Oct-17 04:40:14

By Moroccanoil I just mean the oil / serum - the shampoos etc weren't worth the money (although they do smell nice....)

Behindthedoor Tue 10-Oct-17 06:35:57

My professionally coloured, naturally grey hair was a frizzy mess. I decided to give Olaplex a go & haven't looked back.

Condition is getting better with every application, frizz is nearly completely gone, colour holds, and the shine is unbelievable!

Ktown Tue 10-Oct-17 06:40:16

I use grapeseed oil as a leave in conditioner
The maroccan oil serum is 80% silicone so you are better off with any old frizz ease product. There isn't much Argan oil in it. Argan also smells quite bad.

WomblingThree Tue 10-Oct-17 07:03:01

@prettypetal that’s what i was going to suggest too. I love all of the Palmers products for hair moisturising. I use the olive oil or cocoa butter shampoo and the cocoa butter conditioner. Cantu have a good leave-in conditioner too, although I find it too heavy to actually leave in it makes a great overnight hair mask.

Olaplex isn’t a moisturiser at all; it’s a chemical treatment that changes the structure of the hair during processing. You can’t just bung it on as a stand-alone. I absolutely love it as a 3-step protect/repair solution, but it’s not for everyone.

amandabrussels Tue 10-Oct-17 07:19:32

coconut oil is still best for hair. try mixing it with castor oil to boost hair growth as well. add in aloe vera to help with shine too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now