Talk

Advanced search

How do you remove makeup?

(56 Posts)
wanttotry2017 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:11:39

Can anyone talk me through their routine to remove make up and what they use? I used to never remove my make up (I know terrible) because I hated wipes and felt cleansers never got rid of much. Then I started using ponds cold cream which I love but I think it is Makingme get pimples which I don't normally get.

coffeecow Sun 08-Oct-17 19:15:41

I recently went to a dermalogica skin therapist who advised me to use pre cleansing oil, then special cleansing gel and then exfoliate and moisturiser. I’ve liked their products overall and I think they have helped me but I currently have quite a bad breakout so who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️
Fed up with my skin to be honest!

LegoCaltrops Sun 08-Oct-17 19:23:11

Oil cleanser. Una Brennan isn't bad, but I recently discovered Edenens which I get from this website. Good value for for a lot of toiletries if you buy in bulk. I use La Roche Posay Toleriane cleanser after, which I also buy from there at about a quarter the price that Boots sell it...

trumptown Sun 08-Oct-17 19:26:16

I use eye makeup remover on my eyes, usually something like Garnier or L'oreal (the ones that have 2 layers of liquid) - I find them not too oily and they do the job well. Then on my skin I use a cleansing water, Caudelie micellar cleanser is my current fave but I also love the Argan Rose one and Garnier do a nice one. They don't leave anything on the skin and are easy to use, just put on cotton wool and wipe over skin. I don't feel like they do a great job of getting all the eye make up off though, especially mascara, which is why I prefer to use something separate. In the shower in the mornings I use a face wash or exfoliator.

TheSandersonSisters Sun 08-Oct-17 19:27:38

I use a rose oil cleanser all over my face while my makeup is all on (strange i know and feels so odd at first) then i use a warm clean flannel to remove the oil/makeup, then i use cold water to close my pores and then rose moisturiser for dry/combination skin. I got them from iHerb

chipsandpeas Sun 08-Oct-17 19:30:01

clinique take the day off cleansing balm, then do it again with a cream cleanser usually soap and glory one

Gindrinker43 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:36:14

My mum has used almond oil from the chemist all her adult life to remove her eye makeup. It's dirt cheap and she's in her 80's and got fabulous skin.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 08-Oct-17 19:38:29

Ponds Cold Cream and then hot flannel. Sometimes soap on flannel.

Works mch better and is much cheaper thaneverything else I've tried over the years.

bluebump Sun 08-Oct-17 19:39:02

I use Una Brennan oil all over my face for my first cleanse then a wash with Cetaphil afterwards which takes off all eye make up too.

Smidge001 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:39:31

I was like you OP and never used to take my make up off. But since I started using a tinted cream foundation thing (used only to use a pressed powder), I've discovered the simple joy of a hot wet flannel!! It works beautifully and doesn't leave me spotty. I might put a bit of my usual moisturiser on afterwards if my skin feels dry/tight after just plain water, but that's it for me.

Spam88 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:47:59

Liz Earle cleanse and polish 👍

dantdmistedious Sun 08-Oct-17 19:49:17

I'm a convert to micellar water.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 08-Oct-17 19:51:37

I remove makeup with micellar water, then use an oil, cream or balm cleanser with a hot flannel to actually clean my face.

GingerHanna Sun 08-Oct-17 19:53:33

Coconut oil. Make up remover, cleanser and moisturiser in one. Rub over face, remove with hot wash cloth and then second cold wash cloth to finish.

I have very oily sensitive skin and this has worked wonders for me.

Fernanie Sun 08-Oct-17 19:53:45

I do oil cleansing - a few drops of 80:20 almond:castor oil, rub it in, let it sit a few seconds. Heat a flannel under hot water, then hold the flannel against your face til it cools to open your pores and let the oil draw the dirt to the surface. Then rinse the flannel under hot water and rub the dirt and makeup off. Sometimes I do two rounds if I've worn heavy makeup for some reason.

Needalifeoverhaul Sun 08-Oct-17 19:53:58

Nivea double effect eye makeup remover (over whole face as well as eyes) is the best reasonably priced effective product I've tried, followed by miscellar water to remove any remaining traces. Takes two minutes at most.

Doreah Sun 08-Oct-17 19:54:51

Another one for micellar water here. Discovered it a couple of months ago and I wonder why I never used it before! I then use soap and water followed by toner and moisturisers (eye and face). Well, that's what I plan to do, sometimes it's just the micellar water if I'm -feeling lazy or drunk- really tired and it's late

littlechou Sun 08-Oct-17 19:55:29

If I’m feeling flush I’ll treat myself to Eve Lom oil cleanser with hot muslin cloth to remove. In the more frugal months I’ll use jojoba oil with hot cloth.

I’m a firm convert to oil cleansing, love it grin

martellandginger Sun 08-Oct-17 20:04:59

Try tap water on cotton wool.

Magpie24 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:07:01

Liz Earle cleanse and polish for me too.

FuckingHateRats Sun 08-Oct-17 20:07:36

I use Superdrug vitamin E hot cleanser and muslin. Moisturiser after.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Sun 08-Oct-17 20:09:50

A baby wipe.

Cupcakegirl13 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:10:08

Baby wipes !!

Ohyesiam Sun 08-Oct-17 20:12:35

Another one for Liz Earle.

WeeM Sun 08-Oct-17 20:13:12

The Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm was life changing for me. It honestly takes everything off including eye make up so easily. Literally takes me about 1 minute. I use it with a Body Shop soft cloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now