Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My usual jeans and t shirt look doesn't work anymore - what can I wear that is still casual but more flattering?

(26 Posts)
RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 21:31:12

I usually live in jeans and t shirts / fitted jumper type things. However, lately they are really clinging round my tummy (have gained a little weight and lost a lot of tone!) and I think I need to change style. I have changed to high waisted jeans whichhas helped but think I need to change my tops too.

So if you are a size 10 (sometimes an 8) with a mumtum who lives in jeans, what do you wear? I'm short, late thirties.

Passmethecrisps Sat 07-Oct-17 21:31:59

I help at all but I am in the same boat so I am following

Ttbb Sat 07-Oct-17 21:32:22

Shirts?

CompletelyUnknown Sat 07-Oct-17 21:33:10

For a winter tum/ mum tum (I’m the same size) I love a thick checked shirt with jeans and boots. You can still wear your tshirt just throw a shirt on top. It’s just an extra layer over your normal clothes. That way by the time your tum comes back to shape you’re still the same old you.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 21:42:00

Ooh I like the idea of shirts thank you! With the option of the t shirt underneath.

minipie Sat 07-Oct-17 21:50:22

Watching. I am exactly the same and used to live in fitted t shirts, jumpers and jeans. Now a fitted t shows off a mini spare tyre.

I can't go for the obvious solution of loose boxy tops as I have short chunky legs and loose tops mean I just look huge all over. However occasionally I find tops which are not fitted but not boxy either iyswim, just skimming, these are perfect. (but rare!)

I would like to buy some knitted winter dresses, to wear with knee boots and tights. Looking for skater ish styles.

Any recommendations for high waisted jeans?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:02

TBH I only bought a cheap pair of jeans from Marks and Spencer as a short term measure. They seem ok.

Definitely skimming tops are the way to go but seem so hard to find.

tinygirlsmum Sat 07-Oct-17 22:00:37

I love river island Molly jeans/jeggings. Not too high waisted, but enough to tuck the mum tum in!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 22:02:02

I've never got on with jeggings but if I can tuck a mumtum in I'm tempted!

halesie Sat 07-Oct-17 22:16:27

I'm big pretty much everywhere these days but occasionally find t shirts / tops with some definition at the top and a bit of room at the bottom. I'm also not exactly fashionable but have found things like bubble hems helpful. In the summer Seasalt had some nice t shirts along those lines. Next has this one as an example of the sort of thing I mean:

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 22:18:35

That looks perfect halesie, thank you! Will check Next out. That's the sort of thing, fitted at the top but roomy at the bottom smile

RubbishMantra Sat 07-Oct-17 22:20:37

You have to try these from Hush. They've practically changed my life!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 22:20:41

Have just googled bubble hem tops. That is exactly the kind of thing. Halesie, you are fab smile.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 22:21:36

They are also nice RubbishMantra, thanks.

dottyaboutstripes Sat 07-Oct-17 23:29:29

How would those Hush joggers be on a shortarse? Love them on the model but I'm only 5ft1

LondonStill83 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:34:27

Dolly I am short and a 12-14, they looked AWFUL on me!!!

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 02:22:45

I'm 5 ft 3 so maybe I could get away with them. Will have to investigate.

LondonStill83 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:12:46

Rainbow I am also 5 foot 3 but obviously heavier than you.

imjessie Sun 08-Oct-17 11:19:47

Next are full of bubble hem tops , I’m sure they design for an apple shape as I’m hourglass And nothing suits me from there .

hungrytillater Sun 08-Oct-17 11:20:46

Ooh I'm exactly the same. I found that having tops with a band around the bottom really helps, not necessarily elasticated, I think they are known as blouson. They hide a tummy but as they come in again don't make you look huge.

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 11:57:06

Oh well London, perhaps I'll just look at that type of style trousers and not those exact ones if they are too long.

imjessie, brilliant, I will check out Next. I would love to be hourglass but even when toned I am apple shaped.

hungry, will also investigate blouson tops as they also seem to be the thing, thank you.

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Oct-17 12:19:56

Rainbow, I'm quite tall (5'8") but have a much rounder tummy than I used to. The Amies just sort of skim past it. You'd think that amount of drapey material would add bulk, but it doesn't. They're made from a jersey type fabric, so is thin and heavy at the same time iyswim. It hangs well and doesn't cling. Try the harem pants from Hush too, same fabric. Actually, I've liked everything I've ordered from there. Very flattering.

Just so you don't think I work for Hush or anything, grin I bought this dress from H&M the other day on the recommendation of someone else. I wear it with leggings.

imjessie Sun 08-Oct-17 12:20:14

I think in general they design for apples over hourglass and pear . I find a lot of their stuff doesn’t have a waist or shape . My legs are ok but muscular and I need my waist to show I have shape . It’s a shame because their logistics are amazing! I buy a lot of their ‘designer ‘ brands because they come next day ( I pay the £20 a year for unlimited deliveries )

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 12:26:14

Ooh I also like that dress.

Any recommendations for going out wear? I have some work nights out coming up. I hardly ever go out out and need something sparkly. Did start another thread but posted in wrong section!

emerald17 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:35:59

Since my flattering shapes has disappeared due to having a baby. I use black clothing and accessories it with colourful scarf and jewellery and match my footwear with my hand bag for extra glamour. Black can create an illusion that hides unpleasant shapes on our body and accessories can take the eye away from the unwanted sight to your assets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now