Talk

Advanced search

Need something smart / sparkly for work night out...

(17 Posts)
RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 21:17:26

... that is either a top to wear with trousers or a dress I can wear with tights (horrible legs).

I'm shortish and have gone from a toned size 6-8 to a very untoned size 8-10 over the last few months. People at work will not realise this as we wear baggy uniforms most of the time. I am still slim and actually look much better for putting the weight on but I need to hide my tummy.

Any advice?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 07-Oct-17 21:17:57

Sorry meant to post in Style and Beauty blush. Will report!

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 08-Oct-17 12:05:31

We are moving this thread to Style and Beauty soon.

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 12:59:24

Thanks Toni.

taybert Sun 08-Oct-17 14:20:31

I'm not very good at nights out because I don't have them often but I'm currently liking coated leggings/skinnies with a plain top which can be quite boxy and tummy hiding (like a silk shirt) big jewellery and high heels.

It's very possible I look like a mum who never goes on nights out though....

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 14:29:20

I suspect I look exactly like a mum who ever goes out! I have a few coming up but normally never go on proper nights out. Hence the worry grin.

That sounds like a good idea though taybert, thank you.

Nettletheelf Sun 08-Oct-17 19:23:43

I'd avoid sparkly. You don't say how old you are but after a certain age it's a bit predictable to buy 'something sparkly' for a night out if you don't go out often. Reminds me of my mum going to Per Una for 'something a bit jazzy for line dancing'!

The leather (or faux leather) leggings suggestion is a good one. If your arms are OK I'd put it with a sleeveless top, maybe a silk fronted tank top, worn loose, in a contrasting colour, then add jewellery. That's where your sparkle should be, not on the garments!

And heels, obviously. Unless it's snowing (!) I'd recommend high heeled sandals or open toed ankle boots. They always look glam with varnished toenails. Court shoes are hard to get right: they can easily look too worky or clumsily shaped, which detracts from the outfit.

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 19:29:50

I'm 38 and hardly ever properly go out. So yes, perhaps sparkly is a bit predictable grin. Arms are fine so a loose sleeveless top sounds like a plan smile.

CountFosco Sun 08-Oct-17 19:42:03

And heels, obviously.

Not obviously at all. I'm going to be wearing some flats from Rogue Matilda next time I go out.

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sun 08-Oct-17 19:42:59

I was out last night at quite an important event (important to us personally that is) and I went with leather look leggings, not too tight so looked more like skinnies, a fluted sleeve top and leopard print kitten heels, also statement earrings and ring. I'm almost 50 and struggle a bit with clothes nowadays ditto high heels but a lovely Chinese lady whose English was heavily accented said I looked 'very good' and 'fashion' bless her so that made my night grin

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sun 08-Oct-17 19:46:08

Also a bright red lip always helps I think smile

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 19:57:36

Sounds fab WhatTime.

Paintbox Sun 08-Oct-17 20:05:51

Which lip whattime? wink

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sun 08-Oct-17 20:18:56

Ha, sorry I normally hate that type of speak, I'll put it down to being almost 50 and trying to be cooool grin Thanks Rainbow smile

RainbowBriteRules Sun 08-Oct-17 20:19:29

grin I gave up trying to be cool a long time ago.

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sun 08-Oct-17 20:42:07

I've just looked at that website Count and love the shoes, the silver brogues are fab. Will make a note for future ref smile

Nettletheelf Sun 08-Oct-17 21:14:57

Leather leggings don't look good with flat shoes. But turn it into a feminist polemic against heels if you must!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now