Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Rant...

(13 Posts)
SukiTheDog Sat 07-Oct-17 19:14:13

Am I unreasonable?

I have shoulder length hair. The layers I had are all grown out. Sounds boring but, I like it. I went to the hairdressers today and had a half inch trim, all round. It was blown straight. It cost me £52. Now, when I had shorter styled hair, I happily paid. Then, it was very layered and took a while. My appointment was 3pm. I was out just before 3.40pm

Where can I go to get a cheaper “do”? It’s just too expensive, I think. Then again, I could be being unreasonable.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 07-Oct-17 19:15:28

Where do you live? London? A cut and blow dry where I live would be well under £30.

SukiTheDog Sat 07-Oct-17 19:17:49

Cheshire. Smallish salon. Haven’t been going there long. She offered me a drink but then didn’t bring it. I was paying when she remembered!

imjessie Sat 07-Oct-17 19:20:47

Get a mobile hairdresser . My hairdresser is amazing and doesn’t cost anywhere near that . I have massive curly hair that I have cut and balayaged . A lot of the best hairdressers are mobile in my experience .

InvisibleKittenAttack Sat 07-Oct-17 19:22:04

Get a mobile hairdresser to come to your house. It'll cost you a fraction of a salon job, it's not like you are having anything complex done.

SukiTheDog Sun 08-Oct-17 11:07:28

Never thought of mobile! Will see if I can get any recommendations locally. I had thought of going to our local college where they have a hair and beauty salon as part of their training facility.

I’m even more cross this morning. Washed it and there are some off bits that are longer than the rest. Snipped them myself asi flatly refuse to go back. The first time I went there it cost around £30. Then, the next time, it was someone different doing it and it was about the same. The only thing I can think of is that the woman who did it yesterday is somehow “senior” so costs more. They seem to have a big staff turnover as the girl who did it on my second visit has also left....hence the older lady did it. And there was a sign in the window....stylist required.

I will not be going back.

AtSea1979 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:10:11

That does sound expensive but Cheshire isn't a cheap area for hair and beauty. Try somewhere else.

handslikecowstits Sun 08-Oct-17 11:11:45

£52 for your haircut is shockingly expensive. Even more so given that they don't sound as though they've done it properly.

I have very short hair. It takes my hairdresser two hours to cut it and he charges £45. He is the business bu unfortunately he's about 60 miles from you.

imjessie Sun 08-Oct-17 11:17:12

As I said In my experience the mobile hairdressers are excellent . They have usually mastered their trade then gone mobile to fit around their families . Mine has a degree in colour and was the top hair dresser in the salon before she had her family . She charges me £50 for balayage and a cut and she is amazing with my very difficult curly longish hair . Ask on Facebook for local recommendations .

SukiTheDog Sun 08-Oct-17 11:19:43

I suppose I ought to have asked the question “is there a price difference?” They did tell me on the phone when I booked that the second stylist I’d had had also left so “****” could “fit you in”.

A lesson learned!

I used to have short hair and that took about an hour to do. The cut. Drying time and then finish, snipping off strays etc. My DH was 😳. He too wonders how a haircut (trim) can cost £30 more 8 weeks later.

Caenea Sun 08-Oct-17 11:25:30

Good lord, you've been conned.

I went to Toni and Guys to have my pink hair fixed (I'd bleached it, dyed it red, then as the colours faded it went pink and grey) ahead of my sister's military graduation.

It took them three and a half hours to strip it all back, redye it, cut it and blow dry it - my hair is and was waist length and very thick - and I paid £90 for that. Charging £52 for a 40-minute cut and blow dry is disgusting.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 08-Oct-17 13:26:01

I don't think having layers is a more difficult cut, if anything it's easier to disguise bad technique whereas all one length shows it up.

I actually spend more than you to have a cut and finish, because I have found a hairdresser that I really like and have gone to her for a few years. She has got more expensive as she is now the salon manager. However, she cuts my hair so well that even three months after a cut it still has a good shape and looks fine so I leave it that long between cuts.

It's interesting that so many are recommending mobile hairdressers because there have been lots of threads on here where people have been disappointed by them, although that may be more related to bad colour jobs.

mintmagnummm Sun 08-Oct-17 14:18:54

If I were you I would definitely complain and ask for an explanation and money back as you had to cut some yourself! That is an extortionate amount of money! I have mine trimmed, roots done and few foils in my parting for £45

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: