Talk

Advanced search

I need help in the trouser department!

(12 Posts)
AlrightBabby Sat 07-Oct-17 13:56:00

I really am at a loss, I need some trousers and can't find ANY that fit me. The situation is; I have no waist at all, I really do go down in a straight line, I am about an 18/20 round the bum and legs, but I then cannot fasten the trousers, if I try larger sizes I look and feel like I'm wearing a nappy.

I've tried waist extenders but they don't really help much. I have tried really stretchy trousers, but then they slip down and I spend all day hoiking them up (ded classy bird!!) I have even tried braces (under my tops) but then you have to strip off if you need a wee.

I have to wear really flat ugly boots so dresses are not an option, I am now at the point of considering maternity trousers, is this my only option?

Help me please sad

NearlyChristmasNow Sat 07-Oct-17 14:13:06

NearlyChristmasNow Sat 07-Oct-17 14:13:31

I have similar problems getting trousers to fit, so annoying isn't it?!

With stretchy trousers and jeans that fall down (assuming they have belt loops), I now use a stretchy belt, which doesn't dig in too much, but really helps to hold stretchy trousers up.

NearlyChristmasNow Sat 07-Oct-17 14:17:19

For some reason I can't post the link, but search on Amazon for CTM Women's Elastic Braided Stretch Belt

imjessie Sat 07-Oct-17 14:19:37

Are you an apple shape ? My friend is and wears stretchy maternity trousers in a smaller size as they accommodate the tummy without making the bottom bigger . Presumably you will have a top over them so no one will know but you will be comfy .

PaperdollCartoon Sat 07-Oct-17 14:21:19

I've all but given up on trousers for the same reason, although I'm a smaller size they're just never right. I wear really stretchy jeans or dresses/skirts now. If you're very apple shaped maternity may indeed be a good idea.

MaudesMum Sat 07-Oct-17 14:36:40

I've been there - size 20, apple-shaped. Elasticated belts worked well for me, as did those leggings which look like jeans. If I ever found a pair of jeans or trousers that fitted I used to buy them in more than one colour and hoped they wouldn't stop selling them. Good luck!

AlrightBabby Sat 07-Oct-17 15:05:35

Thanks for the replies and the ideas, it looks like I'm not too far off with my maternity idea then, although I'll check out that stretchy belt ta.

I'm ok going casual as jeggings or even leggings fit ok and stay put, but I need smarter for work, suit style.

AlrightBabby Sat 07-Oct-17 15:06:15

I'm definitely a big old apple 🍎

thedevilinablackdress Sat 07-Oct-17 19:18:00

Get a pair that you like, that fit round the waist and take them to a tailor and see what they can do. I have the opposite issue to you, smallish waist and large hips/thighs and getting trousers tailored has been a revelation.

Timefortea99 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:05:07

I have spent the last few days trying on a gazillion pairs of black trousers for work. I could have cried with frustration. I am a different shape than you - 11 stone/5 foot 2 with small waist, fat arse and large thighs. I have ended up out of desperation with a pair from M & S - well 3 pairs the same! Far from perfect, gaping waist at back, flimsy material. Poor but I need a pair now. I am not sure what is going on with the cut of trousers these days. Unless you are slim there does not seem much options out there.

I really have no clue how to dress in winter, I am okay in summer. I don't wear skirts so my work uniform in winter is black trousers and different fine knot cardigans and tops. I am basically a frump from now until April. So, a great cut of trousers does not seem too much to ask. I have recently lost 25 pounds. Felt quietly chuffed but the last couple of days have made me realise that I am many pounds away from being a "normal" shape for High Street clothing, and that's depressing to say the least.

PastysPrincess Sat 07-Oct-17 21:08:00

I’m still wearing my maternity trousers and thry are definitely the best fitting trousers I’ve ever had. I’ve got ones that have extra elastic with a button on the inside so you wear them as loose or as tight as you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now