Talk

Advanced search

Help! Dress my husband for wedding/ graduation please!

(7 Posts)
gemandjule Sat 07-Oct-17 13:40:19

My DH is 51, 5ft 11, normal BMI. Should be easy to dress for our son's university graduation and his niece's wedding, right? He's impossible! The wedding is formal. He won't wear a suit, fine. He thinks a pale cream 5 year old shapeless pair of chinos with a navy shirt and navy blazer ( also at least 5 years old) will be fine. The wedding is in November! I know he just doesn't want to go shopping but I need to persuade him that he can look smart, without buying a suit, but it will involve some new clothes.
Please give me a few ideas to show him! He's ridiculously competitive with his older brothers and will be totally frustrated on the day if he doesn't feel as smart as them.
( I just want to stay at home at this point I'm so sick of it!)

AuntieStella Sat 07-Oct-17 13:46:25

If he really won't wear a suit (why not, men's formal is easy and one suit can last for years) then the choices wouid be national dress or something like a Nehru suit. Would he go for either of those?

Skyllo30 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:49:50

Would he wear trousers without a suit jacket? Shirt with a tie but he could take the tie off later after photos are taken.

What's your budget? Maybe he doesn't like smart trousers as he doesn't feel they flatter him? Would he be willing to spend more for a very well cut, maybe even bespoke pair that would last years?

gemandjule Sat 07-Oct-17 14:18:12

Couldn't agree more. Men's formal is a doddle. He has 14 nieces and nephews 10 of whom are between 20 and 32 years. There's likely to be a lot of weddings in the next few years! Also it's our oldest DS's graduation, we have 2 more in Uni and one in school; there will also be more graduations! I think it's the expense but given it'll get a lot of wear I think he just needs to suck that up. He's also not formal by nature but does work in a professional job so has to wear shirt and trousers anyway. It's not as though he lives his life in jeans and t-shirts. Any ideas for slightly less conventional suits? Budget not really an issue in reality. Not designer/bespoke but good high street fine.

WeeM Sat 07-Oct-17 15:13:13

How about some nice smart wool/tweed trousers with a blazer-grey trousers with navy blazer maybe? And some nice brown brogues.

Glitteryfrog Sat 07-Oct-17 15:18:20

Would he wear a bit less 'business suit' and something more interesting?
www.vintagesuithire.co.uk or even a tweet jacket with trousers?

WeeM Sat 07-Oct-17 15:20:02

The velvet blazer is maybe a bit ott but the overall look is nice:
m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/mens-trousers-jeans/trousers/m0084-gry/mens-charcoal-flocked-spot-barbican-trousers

Or ted baker is very good for smart things without being suits. This jacket is lovely:

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Clothing/Blazers/FINLAND-Textured-blazer-Blue/p/139072-BLUE

And they have some nice trousers too (that wouldn't need to be worn as short as the models are!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now