Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

£30 eyebrow pencil?!

(11 Posts)
Samoyedydog Sat 07-Oct-17 06:49:03

I’m looking at doing my own wedding make up and have been looking on the Bobbi Brown website, there’s an eyebrow pencil on there for £30 odd??? Could it ever possibly be worth spending that much on an eyebrow pencil, I usually pay about £3 from boots! Also any recommendations for good products for doing wedding make up? My make up bag at the moment is full of cheapo stuff that doesn’t last all day.

Carolinesbeanies Sat 07-Oct-17 07:09:05

I swear by all day make up, so heres whats in my bag. 2 are from Benefit

Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil
Benefits Benetint (for 'blusher)
Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner (I love Pacific Green)
Sensai 38degrees Volumising Mascara ( I buy online or Harrods if Im passing through)
Max Factors Lipfinity.

Honestly OP, this lot stick like glue, absolutely no smudging whatsoever, so much so, I wake up still fully made up and nothings budged!

Congrats on your wedding.

Samoyedydog Sat 07-Oct-17 11:28:15

Oooh thanks for that, what do you use for foundation? This is my biggest problem probably as my skin is AWFUL!

Dailystuck71 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:35:59

Your stuff,possibly isn't lasting if your skin is poor. I'd concentrate of good quality skincare. That will help,your make up. Can you get recommendations for a good therapist to get a few facials?

Islacornx Sat 07-Oct-17 12:04:01

I second the pp, you definitely need to get a good skincare routine!
I currently use Superdrug’s own brand dual cleansing oil to take my makeup off and then the L’Oréal fine flowers toner after and then the youth bouncy sleeping mask from the body shop after as a moisturiser on an evening. I’ve tried lots of different skincare products and combinations and this is what suits me the best and has actually got rid of all spots and is slowly getting rid of all my blemishes too. Although it would depend very much on your skin type etc. For face masks and exfoliates I also use either Superdrug own brand oatmeal exfoliator or the body shop vitamin C or vitamin E ones.

My makeup lasts all day and I would say it is a combination of my skin, primers and the makeup I use.
I prep my face with Superdrug’s own brand hydration mist, then use a glam glow moisturiser in pearl (this is insane and I highly recommend it, it gives you a lovely glow with and without makeup!!), then smashbox primer oil, nars sheer glow foundation, nars creamy concealer and nars light reflecting setting powder. As you can see I highly rate nars products haha!
If you’re looking for eyeshadows I would look on cultbeauty and beautybay online and read the reviews, I generally use Anastasia Beverly Hills/huda beauty palettes but I also rate morphe palettes and m.u.a ones which you can get from superdrug! I use smashbox lipsticks and bronzers and Anastasia and iconic London highlighters but I think Charlotte tilbury one’s are supposed to be amazing too and Bobbi brown have brought out a highlighting palette too (£60 though shock) and it looks amazing! I use bare minerals blush, mascara and eyeliner, lash domination I think it’s called and my eyebrow pencils are just from boots/Superdrug from maybelline.
I use a mix of iconic London, zoeva and Bobbi Brown brushes which I highly rate as well and the real techniques sponges for concealer and setting powder under my eyes (brush for powder everywhere else), when I set powder with my sponge I spray smashbox primer water onto it before picking up the powder and it seems to make it look a lot better on my face! I also use the primer water for some eyeshadows as well! If you’re looking for eyelashes I would 100% recommend getting the ones from China on aliexpress.com, you can get a 5 pack for £1.49 or something and they’re a dream! I’ve used so so many expensive lashes over the years and none have come close to the fake cheap ones winkgrin

NikiBabe Sat 07-Oct-17 19:15:25

Benetint also stains your fingers though putting it on which is annoying.

Carolinesbeanies Sat 07-Oct-17 23:00:33

Ive no suggestions for foundation Op Im sorry, as I used to use Teint Dore until they discontinued it, so now just use whatever tinted moisturiser I pick up. Ive always liked a light base, but Im going to rush off and try the pp's Glam Glo! Sounds my kind of thing. Thanks for the tip Islacornx!

My friend swears by Touch Eclat, (spelling) and I rmember borrowing it once, as a concealer, but I wasnt a fan as it smelt of sweaty socks, though it did cover blemishes and dark circles really well. How long till the big day? Agree with the pp's about skincare routine, if youve got time between now and then to have a skin care blitz. Keep us posted as I hope you find something that suits.

Peppermeant Sat 07-Oct-17 23:09:42

Your wedding day is stressful enough, I always think brides doing their own makeup are crazy smile

I agree get your skin sorted if you have time. Depending on what it's like, maybe an acid toner/serum to sort the spots and texture? Do you use sunscreen?

MsFortunaMajor Sun 08-Oct-17 08:45:00

I recommend No. 7 Beautifully Matte Foundation. I wore it on my wedding day (nearly a year a go now) and it lasted well. It provides a decent amount of coverage and I get a nice finish using a damp sponge to apply it. I did my own makeup on my wedding day too. I mostly stuck to products that I already used and that I knew suited me, as I didn't want to make a mistake on the day. I've been using the Beautifully Matte foundation ever since.

ShiftyMcGifty Sun 08-Oct-17 09:04:37

I think by the time you buy all this stuff, it might be cheaper to hire a make up artist. But, if you're keen...

1 Start with a quality day cream.
2 primer cream on top. Essential, so get best you can. I recommend Becca which goes on very shimmery looking but blends in beautifully with foundation, so you just look radiant and glowy.
here as space nk

3. Countour. Huge amount of choices and again application brush is important too. I use Hourglaas ambient palette because it has the highlighter which I also use for dark circles under my eyes and under my eyebrows to blend with my eye shadows.

4. Bare essential mineral foundation. It covers really well and doesn't look caked on if applied correctly. I use this brush at it makes all the difference.

5. For eye makeup, you need a primer to make the eyeshadow stay all day... I don't use any but did try these when I got samples with my urban decay palette eyeshadow primer

I only use bobby brown and urban decay so maybe someone else can give you recommendations... but you need to get good brushes. At the least, get a blending brush.

6. For blush, I'd blend some of the darker hourglass colour if you want to save some money

7. I don't wear lipstick very much, but in my limited experience, bobby brown matte range stays on well.

By the way, space nk have £15 off a £60 order so maybe you can make a couple of separate orders and save some £££

Doreah Sun 08-Oct-17 09:30:26

Go around the make up and ask for samples of foundation to find he best wearing one. I was able to get 3 or 4 uses out of each one I got and tested them all on nights out and during the day to check for wearability, coverage and longevity. But the best one I have found is Gosh foundation drops. Good coverage that you can build up and it's only about £13 a bottle.
I would also recommend a good primer to wear underneath, Benefit Pore Perfection or Rimmel are really good.
Whichever foundation you go with, make sure as part of your testing you take loads of pictures during the day at different times, in different lights with the flash on and off to see how it comes across. My sister had a make up trial and wore it out on her hen night and whilst it looked amazing in normal light, in all the photos of the night she looks like a ghost!
If you can stretch to it, I would recommend getting eyelash exensions, saves having to worry about mascara runs with the inevitible tears!
For lippy, Gosh to a good range, I used a nude lipstick from them and had the matching gloss. Lasted really well and using a nude meant that it didn't matter if I went a while between applications!

But I would highly recommend getting a make up artist if you can. I was determined to do my own make up until I had a mini trial of air brush make up at a wedding fair. It saved a lot of stress in the morning and cost me less than I was planning to spend on make up, even with a full trial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now