Talk

Advanced search

£200 to 'treat myself'

(24 Posts)
captainflash Fri 06-Oct-17 21:32:54

Ideas please! After the death of a relative, my nan has given me some money to 'treat myself'. I'm a single parent so it's really difficult to get away so spending it on a weekend away or something isn't really an option. I think she would prefer me to buy something to keep to remember said relative.

Things I already have: leather biker, nice handbags (of all types!), purse, watches (gold, silver and leather strap), trainers, boots, brogues, winter coats, rain mac, wraps, scarves, make up and lipsticks galore, a cocktail ring I always wear on my right hand...
I am well aware it's a tricky mission!

Anyone got any ideas of something lovely to keep. Perhaps a piece of jewellery?
If it helps, I'm 37, Primary teacher, fairly Cos /John Lewis Kin esque in clothes, short pixie hair, wear both silver and gold.
I'm just stuck on ideas. Ta!

Daisymay2 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:41:46

I am looking at a clock that I bought with some money given to me in similar circumstances 37 years ago. Its like a daily reminder of her.
Otherwise a print you love, well framed?

TheBadTemperedLadybird Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:56

Garden bench? A painting?

captainflash Sat 07-Oct-17 07:27:05

No garden so bench is out!
There are a couple of prints I'd like but I've asked for those for Christmas from my family- I'm hard to buy for and they'd be annoyed if I took away an easy option!

I have been thinking of an Alex Monroe bee necklace. I do like them but wonder if it's a bit 'common' and maybe something g more individual might be better

ladymariner Sat 07-Oct-17 07:30:37

Just had a look at that necklace, its lovely.

Slartybartfast Sat 07-Oct-17 07:32:25

A day trip somewhere, to Paris, Bruges?

Slartybartfast Sat 07-Oct-17 07:32:58

oh sorry, you said you can't have a weekend away.

Nearlyadoctor Sat 07-Oct-17 07:33:35

I think the Bee necklace is a lovely idea - at least it's something you'll keep. If you really like it it's irrelevant that's it's popular at the moment, I expect you'll still be wearing yours when the trend is over.

SupportTheresaElseBoris Sat 07-Oct-17 07:33:53

I would give half to charity to feel good.

£24 on a dipique candle, a luxuary beauty calender for £50 and a beautiful piece of costume jewellery.

titsbumfannythelot Sat 07-Oct-17 07:34:38

I know it's the wrong season but what about a nice pair of sunglasses?

twinnywinny14 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:36:14

The necklace is lovely and I’m going to buy one as a memory of my brother who does last year, he always said he would come back as a bee to annoy everyone! Also my grandfather always believed past relatives were with you when you see a bee so nice touch as a memento x

captainflash Sat 07-Oct-17 07:39:36

Thanks all. It's something I coveted for a long time and wonder if I should buy one as it has stayed with me. I don't really wear necklaces though as have to wear a lanyard at work.
Maybe I'll just go try it on and see.
Now, gold, silver or rose gold....

captainflash Sat 07-Oct-17 07:41:42

Oh, and thank you for suggesting donating to charity. My nan donated a big chunk of her inheritance (she said she didn't need it) and we are under strict instructions to treat ourselves. I don't want to mess with my nan grin
I also voluntarily work as a charity trustee in my spare (!) time so have the warm fuzzies from that anyway

Chocolateteabag Sat 07-Oct-17 07:49:31

If you like Alex Monroe but want something "different" maybe have a look at Rachel Elizabeth Wood ?
I saw her stand at a show and her pieces have real "weight" and the clasps are all v strong. The sheep pendant is very cute!

JanetStWalker Sat 07-Oct-17 07:52:21

Perfume, always perfume.

HolgerDanske Sat 07-Oct-17 09:45:23

I think a piece of jewellery is what I'd choose. Or maybe a watch. Or maybe a handbag, because I have a big weakness for handbags.

I think the necklace is a lovely idea, as you have wanted it for a long time and that way you actually are treating yourself, just as your nan wanted.

flowers

ZaraW Sat 07-Oct-17 09:45:37

I've had the Alex Monroe bee necklace for years it's not common at all.

ZaraW Sat 07-Oct-17 09:57:25

Forgot to say it is popular because it's beautiful and has been around for a long time. It's not suddenly become fashionable.

missfliss Sat 07-Oct-17 10:10:48

I've also had the bee necklace for many years - wear it every day.

Maybe I'm common ? smile

rufieroo Sat 07-Oct-17 10:14:43

My husband just got me a Missoma necklace that’s engraved with our sons names that I love, it’s a rectangle bar with a very delicate chain, it has a tiny diamond in the corner and is gold, but can be done in silver too, it’s beautiful, they have some other gorgeous jewellery on there, some you can engrave some not, and most of it’s under £200, I think the one I have was £125! May be worth a look!

captainflash Sat 07-Oct-17 10:21:52

I really didn't mean to offend when I said 'common'. I meant it as popular rather than a nasty meaning confused Sorry!

I think it's what I'll go for. I have a necklace given to me by my ex with the children's initials on it but it has negative connotations from him and it's not really my thing. (I have random tattoos that I have for them anyway)

There's a shop near me that sells Alex Monroe so I think I go try it on and spend the rest on a great pair of jeans that make my arse look great!

MiniTheMinx Sat 07-Oct-17 10:27:43

Do you have something special or sentimental that you could have made into a piece of jewelry? My friend takes commissions, she makes really beautiful things. I have a silvered mouse skull, it's totally unique and personal to me.

http://www.thesilvery.co.uk/necklaces/

missfliss Sat 07-Oct-17 10:49:17

Aah you were ok, I didn't take offence. Hence the smiler.

It's a lovely necklace, mine is 7 years old now - I still love it

BusterGonad Sat 07-Oct-17 20:44:33

Get the Bee necklace, it's beautiful, who cares if it's popular?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now