Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

M and s blues

(18 Posts)
lucydogz Fri 06-Oct-17 10:03:27

I'm desperate for some warmer clothes but because i'm size 20 only m and s makes clothes for me ( which seems weird as there's plentyou of women my size). So off to m and s and is it my imagination bu are their clothes even worse than usual? Really shoddy and loads of that tomato soup red and vile teal blue that they've been carrying for years.
God I hate clothes buying

teta Fri 06-Oct-17 10:47:11

Lucy there's quite a lot of cashmere and other things in your size in Tk Maxx online.I order lots of stuff instore so I can try it on and then immediately return if it's not right.
M&S clothes generally make me look like a tank and I find the cut of the clothes weird ( and I'm size 14!).Also Nydj jeans/leggings can often be found on Brand Alley for cheaper prices and are a lot more flattering than M&S jeans.

YouWereRight Fri 06-Oct-17 10:54:43

Plenty of places sell size 20 clothes. Next, John Lewis, Dorothy Perkins, ASOS, Asda etc...

The constant bashing of M&S is becoming tedious.

Paintbox Fri 06-Oct-17 11:10:44

Loads of shops stock your size. Try Asos for a start

purplecorkheart Fri 06-Oct-17 11:41:26

Take a look in Next, Monsoon, Debenhams.

I am not of M&S's choice of colour palette this year.

lucydogz Fri 06-Oct-17 12:10:20

Will try again. But not in marks. It may be tedious but I challenge anyone to find something decent in there. Thanks for all the advice and i'Ll not post when tired and cross in future.

CountFosco Fri 06-Oct-17 17:05:11

Boden goes up to size 20, as does Joules.

Have you tried Try Tuesday? You put in your dimensions and answer some style questions and then get an email once a month with outfit suggestions with links to M&S clothes. I've been quite impressed so far!

Brickshed7 Fri 06-Oct-17 19:39:30

Seasalt goes up to size 20 too, some styles now up to 24/26 I think. I have been liking a lot of M&S clothes recently.............I'll get my coat...........smile

mamabluestar Fri 06-Oct-17 19:42:55

You can also try New look, River Island, Quiz, Sainsburys, Debenhams. There is plenty of different shops out there

Ifonlyiweretaller Fri 06-Oct-17 22:33:50

Tedious or not Youwereright, M&S fully deserves its bashing - it is truly awful these days. I spent over an hour online yesterday trying to buy some clothes for myself to add to an order for trousers I was placing for my 85 year old mum (luckily she actually likes the classic range!). Believe me, there was not one single thing I wanted to purchase!!

goose1964 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:42:45

M&S have some lovely pieces this year, plus the usual only for the over 80s .

ZaraW Sat 07-Oct-17 10:12:51

M&S always have some good clothes. Not sure why lots of people hate it when most of the high street sells polyester crap. The linen shirts M&S sold over the summer were fab.

Floisme Sat 07-Oct-17 10:22:44

I'm not sure why the over 80s should be expected to put up with them either if they're that bad? Anyway I've seen quite a few good things in M&S lately although admittedly I've not bought: The khaki trenchcoat, a check coat, a tweedy coat in Limited Collection (nice but too thin) some burgundy patent lace ups, some fabulous if totally impractical cream widelegs in Autograph. That's just in my local store where the selection is normally shocking so I assume there's more stuff online.

The knitwear selection is disappointing however. It all seems to be either cashmere, which I'm trying to give up, or synthetic but I've not looked online.

fiorentina Sat 07-Oct-17 10:45:02

I've seen some good stylish clothes in M&S lately. I work in the city, maybe they target clothes by stores as the majority of clothes and shoes in there are perfectly fine, some basics and some more stylish. It's how you style them I think.

YouWereRight Sat 07-Oct-17 11:31:53

I like plenty in M&S, as does my mum who is in her early 50's. A few weeks ago I bought a black spotty dress. Their shoes are right up my alley at the moment too.

Isn't it lovely that we all have different tastes.

CountFosco Sat 07-Oct-17 14:35:15

I'm not sure why the over 80s should be expected to put up with them either if they're that bad?

My MIL is in her 80s. She always looks fabulous and buys some clothes from similar places to me. Last year it was the ILs golden wedding anniversary so she bought some silk in Thailand last time she was there and had a beautiful gown made for the party.

Trip to Thailand was not unusual BTW, she travels all over and went to Russia for her 80th with her two older siblings.

80s doesn't have to mean little old lady, it can mean stylish adventurer living life to the full.

MikeUniformMike Sat 07-Oct-17 14:38:58

I like M&S. If your local store has nothing, and you're out and about, look in a store in a different area. What they stock varies.
Their shoes are usually pretty good.

Floisme Sat 07-Oct-17 16:16:04

I forgot to mention their cords - slim leg but not sausage skin, range of colours. They look very good value.

But if this is meant to be a thread about sticking the boot in, I'm going to nominate H&M. What has happened? They used to be my favourite shop for good value, wearable but modern basics. Now every time I go, I come away a little more disappointed and soon I'll stop going altogether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now