Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What am I looking for in a foundation?

(14 Posts)
tobee Thu 05-Oct-17 17:57:41

So I’ve had great advice on choosing foundation and concealer on here. I’ve asked in shops but they tend to be representing their product.

But what should I look for in a foundation? Or, rather, what do you look for? And for different occasions/requirements?

I’m just not sure if I can trust myself knowing any more. And everyone in rl is too polite to comment!

FourEyesGood Thu 05-Oct-17 18:08:00

It needs to match my skin tone and last through the day. (I use Estée Lauder Double Wear Light.)

No different for different occasions. I, boringly, tend to look the same all the time.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 05-Oct-17 18:36:00

The two that I would recommend are Mac Studio Fix and Chanel Vitalumiere. The Chanel's quite expensive so I use that one for nicer occasions

tobee Thu 05-Oct-17 18:58:19

Thanks for those replies. I know it’s also a personal thing, what you’re after.

I feel like I fall between two stools, either a light cover (maybe bb cream or tinted moisturiser) and I’m not sure it makes much difference. Or something more heavy and I feel like I’m wearing a mask. Maybe I’m asking to much! I suppose I want to even out skin tone and look healthy and flawless. Is that what I should expect from foundation or do I need other products?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 05-Oct-17 19:46:47

Well which foundations have you tried? The two I use have very buildable coverage. I don't use much as I like a lighter coverage, and they cover really well but have a natural dewy sort of finish.

BusterGonad Thu 05-Oct-17 19:50:25

I look for a glowy finish that doesn't look cakes and doesn't sit in my fine lines, I have 2 on the go at the moment Dior Skin Star which is creamy and offers medium cover. It gives a glow with no shimmer, I also have Benefit Hello Oxygen Wow which is a bit more glowy and has what I'd call a creamy light to medium coverage which won't last all day if you have oily skin but certainly makes you look dewy and soft.
My skin is dry to normal. I don't really have blemishes but I like to glow!

BusterGonad Thu 05-Oct-17 19:53:24

I also don't really bother with BB creams or tinted moisturizer as I find that today's formulas of foundation are really great and natural.

EraArils Thu 05-Oct-17 20:34:00

I have a few foundations and wear them depending on how I'm feeling. Nars all day luminous for when I want a bit of a glow. I'm pale and look terrible with bronzer and Nars livens my skin a little.
EL Double wear when my skin is looking less than great or I simply want full coverage which will stay put.
Finally, MAC face and body, I use this for days when I want to be out of the door in a hurry. It is buildable and can be full coverage but can be applied with your fingers for a quick lighter fix.
I look for Foundations that give me different finishes but always go backs to Double wear. A foundation must be easy to blend, doesn't stick to any dry skin, buildable and long lasting. It must come in a colour match for me which in itself is a challenge.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 05-Oct-17 20:54:27

I just bought the new YSL one, which I can't remember the name of, and love it. I have used a now discontinued YSL one for years (I bought up a supply!) and it's perfect colour-match wise, but none of the recent releases worked for me until now. This one is supposed to be matte, but I apply it lightly and use a glowy powder over it. I would never buy foundation without a sample - I got a sample of this one on Friday, then wore it over the weekend and for work on Monday before committing.

tobee Thu 05-Oct-17 21:01:25

I’ve used a lot of types. blushI’ve been using lily lolo bb cream but also have double wear light and no 7 stay perfect SuperLight, and Chanel cc cream. And that’s just recently! blushblushblush I do tend to fall back on double wear over winter- I like the coverage and colour match but it’s quite thick iyswim and not dewy. Do you find they have a short shelf life? I’m not sure if they might go off. Especially as I have a stupid amount. I’m just a sucker for recommendations!!

BusterGonad Thu 05-Oct-17 21:06:48

I've never really had make up go off unless it's years old, just try not to use it if it hadn't got a pump without super clean fingers! I've had lipsticks go off after about 4 years, they get a white coating and smell funny on your lips! Iyswim

CaseStudyResearch Thu 05-Oct-17 21:23:56

Basically what Buster said.

I live in Bourjois Healthy Mix day to day and Armani Luminous Silk for occasions.

BusterGonad Thu 05-Oct-17 22:31:29

Also if you don't use the foundation that often keep it in the box so it doesn't get sunlight on it etc. my Dior Star is in its box as it's not my everyday one!

tobee Thu 05-Oct-17 23:13:41

Thank you. I keep mine in a drawer so hopefully that helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now