Talk

Advanced search

What does 'looking edgy' mean?

(18 Posts)
PolkaDottyOvenGlove Thu 05-Oct-17 15:50:08

This has always confused me. Does it mean really trendy? Or cool/individual?

neveradullmoment99 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:54:34

To me, cool and individual.

Nettletheelf Thu 05-Oct-17 17:26:41

I always thought it meant 'mismatched and looks barking mad unless worn by Kate Moss or Alexa Chung, in which case we think it's fabulous'.

thedevilinablackdress Thu 05-Oct-17 17:30:40

Sharp haircut, Cos type clothes that don't conform to standard ideas of flattering/feminine, or vintage, striking makeup or none. Arty. Swedish architect. That's what comes to my mind.

LunaTheCat Thu 05-Oct-17 17:33:55

Black, red lippy, sharp short hairstyles, designer shoes, leather black biker jacket, black skinnies.

Bostin Thu 05-Oct-17 17:34:13

Daring to be a bit different or as though you possibly haven't washed.

elQuintoConyo Thu 05-Oct-17 17:38:10

LunaTheCat i'd define that as very high street.

Skinny. Mismatched clothes from the gutter. Crap hair. Famous = edgy.

Or 'how very dare you not look like a man's idea of a woman' like Tilda Swinton.

PollyPerky Thu 05-Oct-17 17:41:26

It's code for looking a mess but supposed to be high fashion.

MCBeatsandGrindah Thu 05-Oct-17 17:46:25

The kind of person who wears the cool item/look before everyone else catches on, but never looks try-hard I think. And sometimes an element of not being pretty/feminine. E.g. do you remember when undercuts were a thing?

YouWereRight Thu 05-Oct-17 17:47:43

I think of it as a cool rock and roll thing, maybe a bit emo looking. The opposite of quirky, which in my head means the replica 50's dresses and petticoats.

PovertyJetset Thu 05-Oct-17 17:53:25

It's the unexpected details and something you wouldn't being able to replicate easily. So maybe some battered old Levi's with cool unusual blouse/top that you think looks European, and a pair of ugly but totally work shoes and a jacket that is a contrasting colour or a funny shape. Then the hair is thick and healthy and in some sort on undone look.

Each piece individually could be viewed as weird, but put it all together is is startling and inspiring.

silkpyjamasallday Thu 05-Oct-17 18:57:28

I think it changes constantly as the things the 'edgy' people were wearing filter down to the masses and become normalised, by then 'edginess' has morphed into something new again.

specialsubject Thu 05-Oct-17 19:26:18

To the edgy person - cool , trendy,different. To everyone else - same ridiculous look as all the other fashionista sheep.

Same as ' free spirit' - to everyone else , 'pain in the arse'

Snog Thu 05-Oct-17 19:42:59

It means looking a bit weird but only a bit.

Dustbunny1900 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:12:03

Like "on the cutting edge" of style..not mainstream fashion yet.
Artistic/individual/striking

Rihanna does a lot of edgy looks.
Miley Cyrus tries to do edgy

Jiggler Thu 05-Oct-17 20:18:53

I think it's a rock and roll thing too. Not full on avant-garde but definitely ahead of the pack. With a masculine twist. No frills or pastels.

Ttbb Thu 05-Oct-17 20:21:14

It means looking like a 'cool' university student.

ZaraW Thu 05-Oct-17 20:30:40

I would say Rooney Mara has the look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now