Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Ponytails / buns for long fine hair

(14 Posts)
Tinkerbellwould Thu 05-Oct-17 06:23:09

My hair is past shoulder length and very fine.
I like to wear my hair up or in a ponytail most days but it looks crap and pathetic. It doesn't hang right and I can't get the hang of doing a messy bun!

Any photos, links to help videos or any ideas would be much appreciated please!

I've even looked at fake ponytails to clip in but feel that might look fake from a mile off?!

Tinkerbellwould Thu 05-Oct-17 17:20:47

Anyone?

bimbambom Thu 05-Oct-17 17:24:27

When I have a ponytail I put the front and sides in one bobble then gather the bottom up and bobble slightly lower than the top. Slightly backcomb the base of the top. Looks loads better than when I put all my hair in one ponytail and you can't tell it's two

Eminybob Thu 05-Oct-17 17:27:24

When my hair is long I use a bun donut thing. One where you twist it round then fasten it together, IYSWIM?

sallievp Thu 05-Oct-17 17:31:41

Watching for inspiration!smile

Maudlinmaud Thu 05-Oct-17 17:33:39

Hair piece? I've bought a few wrap around ponytails because my hair is falling out sad

Highlove Thu 05-Oct-17 18:18:16

Bumping because I want to know more too.

Tinkerbellwould Thu 05-Oct-17 19:13:23

Bim I've tried that but you can see both hair bands. Do you use really thin bands?

bimbambom Fri 06-Oct-17 11:56:22

Yeo do but my hair is dark so not so noticable

bananamonkey Fri 06-Oct-17 12:45:24

I do similar to bim but backcomb the first and twist it, fixing with hair grips instead of a band

bananamonkey Fri 06-Oct-17 12:45:52

*backcomb the top

TittyGolightly Fri 06-Oct-17 12:49:26

I don't have thin hair but I've a super easy bunstule that looks fancy but is really easy.

Section off 1/4 - 1/3 of your hair in a vertical section on either the left or right side of your head and clip it out of the way. Twist the remaining hair into a mid-low bun at the centre back of your head and secure with a bobble. Take the hair you left out and twist it, then take it over and around the bun as many times as it will go. Secure with a Kirby grip or 2. Job done.

CointreauVersial Fri 06-Oct-17 18:05:10

I gather my hair into a mid-height ponytail, give it a single twist from underneath (as if starting a twist bun). Clip the twist from underneath, then allow the length of the pony to fall over the clip. It gives the pony a bit of oomph, and if you use a small-ish subtle clip you barely see it.

Skittlesss Sun 08-Oct-17 17:16:19

I saw a messy bun tutorial earlier. I will try to explain.

Put your hair into a high ponytail.
Slide the bobble down the pony just enough to part the hair below and then flip the pony through the hole. We used to call it a topsy tail when I was a kid.
Push the bobble back up through the hole slightly so that the hair comes into a bun. Use pins to secure it all.
It works and looks fab.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: