Talk

Advanced search

Ruched skirts... I have a large arse and small waist, any good for me?

(22 Posts)
StoatInACoat Wed 04-Oct-17 21:41:19

I love the look of them but a) worry they will make me look like a potato trying to be sexy and b) definitely can't afford to spend £45 on a skirt.

Which budget ones are any good?

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 04-Oct-17 22:41:59

I have a large arse and small waist - but am an overall size 10 - and I LOVE my ruched skirts from Hush. I wear them with jumpers which sit about the waistband, usually a slightly boxy shape, and opaque tights, usually black Stan Smith trainers. I bought the black Hush one as a total wildcard after seeing it raved about on here, and now own it in the wine colour and recently bought the crossover version too. £45 is expensive for a jersey skirt, but cost for wear mine owe me absolutely nothing.

StoatInACoat Thu 05-Oct-17 06:31:13

Oh jolly good, that's what I was hoping to hear.

My inner miser is going WAIT WHAT £45 ON A JERSEY SKIRT but if I'll wear them a lot then it's worth it right?

zippyswife Thu 05-Oct-17 06:43:02

I have a couple of the hush ones- the striped and the wine one. And I really think they are fab. I’m completely different shape to you (big waist and not hips/arse) but they really get worn a lot!

RavingRoo Thu 05-Oct-17 06:48:39

Depends on your overall size and shape. Wouldn’t recommend it you have a belly as it then looks like an involuntary ruching lol

StoatInACoat Thu 05-Oct-17 06:53:02

Nope my belly is flat (ish) it's just my hips and bum that are on the large side. Typical pear shape.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 05-Oct-17 06:58:12

I am exactly the same shape as you, and I've just ordered one. I'll let you know 😂 Looks so comfy!

Floisme Thu 05-Oct-17 07:33:10

I'm a bit pear shaped - arse quite decent but thighs out of proportion. I found the trick was to get the length right: just below the knee was best because it put a bit of distance between the hemline and my thighs. Knee length and above did not look good at all. (So the Hush one was too short.)

I also found I needed decent, double layer fabric and that a £4.99 job from Select didn't cut it at all. So yes I had to pay £45 and upwards. But I literally wore them non stop for 4 or 5 years so it was good value. I'm not wearing them at the moment but that's only because I felt it was time for a change!

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Thu 05-Oct-17 08:56:46

I am a pear shape, and love my Hush ruched skirt; it's the most flattering thing in my wardrobe, and I always feel good when wearing it.

Kochicoo Thu 05-Oct-17 11:40:47

Have you seen the Kettlewell Colours ones, OP? They're reduced from £45 to £34.30 for knee length and £31.50 for the shorter one at the moment. I don't know what they're like but has anyone bought one of these?

CremeDeSudo Thu 05-Oct-17 11:44:14

Oooh I'm glad someone asked this as I've been eyeing up the Hush ones and the dress but didn't think they'd suit my large hips and bum. Toddling off to Hush now thank you OP! grin

neveradullmoment99 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:44:29

They have a longer wrap version on the hush website. I have it in black and it is very flattering.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:45:26

I am also a pear. I think the trick is actually getting the top right. Something loose looks nice that is just mid length - below the tum.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 21-Oct-17 07:47:16

I have now had my skirt a couple of weeks, and it's my favourite item in my wardrobe. I wore it to work yesterday (inset day) and had about 20 people tell me how good it looked. It doesn't hide my generous hips and bum, but makes them look as if they're meant to be there iyswim. Agree re the boxy tops, not a style I would ever normally wear, but the Hush Dolman sweater (I think) looks great. I am seriously considering another sweater, and the skirts in all the colours...

Justfred Sat 21-Oct-17 08:02:29

There's some hush ruched skirts, and some Tara dresses in a medium on eBay for cheap at the moment if anyone's interested. I think I'd need a bigger size sadly as I'd like a Tara dress but they're not cheap! I've got the baukjen and boden ruched skirts, I think the boden one is better quality, really flattering on my big hips.

Sonotkylie Sat 21-Oct-17 09:54:45

Kochicoo I have the Kettlewell Colours - longer length one. Good quality, true to size and almost as good overall as my black Boden one from a few years ago. I find the navy too blue and not quite dark enough but that's my only complaint. I have tried the Hush ones a few times but they are too short for me. Definitely worth a go

Kochicoo Sat 21-Oct-17 10:24:53

Thank you, Sonot. I think I'll go for it then.

WomblingThree Sat 21-Oct-17 11:14:12

H&M’s double layer skirt is only £8 and feels really good quality.

rubybleu Sat 21-Oct-17 11:15:15

How do you get ruched skirts to stay down?

I have fairly broad hips and a butt that sticks out as well as a small waist - tight/body con dresses generally ride up on me towards the smaller part. How do these skirts not do the same.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sun 22-Oct-17 07:17:15

It probably rides up about three inches, which is fine, as it's knee length to begin with.

TeamEponine Sun 22-Oct-17 07:39:14

I'm very tempted to try one of these skirts on the basis of this thread, but...

What shoes do you wear?

Normally I wear a line or skater style dresses with knee high boots, but I don't thing they would work with this style of skirt?

I also have superga trainers. Would they work for a more casual look? And I have some red or dead low ankle boots with a slight heel (can't remember they name of them), do they sound possible?

I don't really want to shell out on new shoes just to get a new skirt!

Thanks flowers

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sun 22-Oct-17 18:48:50

I think any of those would work. I wear mine with ankle boots, smart trainers or pointed toe flats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now