Talk

Advanced search

If you wore a skirt today, which did you wear and what with ?

(76 Posts)
bigchris Wed 04-Oct-17 19:45:56

I've decided to wear more skirts and dresses but i can't for the life of me figure out what to buy, I really wear trousers and nothing else !

cupcake007 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:49:46

I wore a tube skirt (black and white print) with black tights and top. Felt shit in it. I don't have a clue what to wear these days. Have lost my fashion mojo big time.

pinkcardi Wed 04-Oct-17 19:52:05

I wore a tweed pencil skirt with a kick pleat detail. Quite 1940s. I wore it with a black plain fine knit fitted jumper, and black suede courts.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 04-Oct-17 19:52:50

I mainly wear skirts and dresses at this time of year. Skirt-wise, I like a-line, above the knee, with a fitted, fine-knit crew-neck jumper, opaque tights and flat Chelsea boots. In the summer I wear a lot of midi skirts and dresses, but I can't get them to look good with tights - on me they need bare legs for some reason.

Could you go somewhere and try a load of stuff on and see what styles you like/suit?

LilaoftheGreenwood Wed 04-Oct-17 19:57:28

Black stretch skirt with white polka dots, baby pink cardigan with black binding, I wear them done up over a black top, black patent ankle boots. Slightly worrying all my skirts are too short in this age of midi.

CountFosco Wed 04-Oct-17 20:06:09

It depends on your shape what suits you. Last skirt I wore was a navy ruched skirt from Kettlewell Colours. It's a mini. I wore it with navy opaque tights and navy brogues plus a navy silk blouse and a wide tan belt.

FizzyFeet Wed 04-Oct-17 20:07:48

I have the opposite to you, OP - always in skirts and never in trousers!

Today I wore a dark brown ruched skirt and a greeny-blue long sleeved semi fitted top. I wore knee high boots because it was bloody freezing but wish I had worn ankle boots instead - knee highs felt really wrong/dated.

A while ago I did the House of Colour style day and found it useful - we looked at my body proportions (short legs, skinny waist) and I came away with a list of which skirt and dress styles (and jackets, trousers etc) would work. My proportions mean that midi and long skirts just look really wrong on me, likewise billowy tops. It is £££ but has already saved its own cost in avoiding duff purchases.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:11:40

I had my hush wool skirt on with zip in the middle. It is a gentle A-line to the knee. I wore it with calf length dm boots and a long sleeved tee and cardi. My top was a burgundy colour. So was my cardi.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 04-Oct-17 20:12:53

I don't actually own any trousers blush, just a couple of pairs of pedal pushers for summer holidays...

Today I had on a long black skirt with a slightly raised pattern and a long sleeved clingy top. It's my work 'uniform', iyswim. In the summer months, and at the weekend I live in dresses, they are just so easy!!

umberellaonesie Wed 04-Oct-17 20:14:11

Aztec print black and white A line mini skirt. Black tights and brogues Black scoop neck t shirt and coloured cardigqn.

emsiewill Wed 04-Oct-17 20:25:40

Can I just do a mini hijack and ask how people deal with the waist line when they wear skirts? I never know whether to tuck or not to tuck, and tops are the wrong length (too long and they look wrong, too short and I feel my belly is on show). I wear dresses every day at work to avoid this issue, would love to add in some skirt / top combos if I could work out how!

neveradullmoment99 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:27:45

I wear tops that just fall below my tummy. I dont do tucked in. Its not me.

showergel1 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:28:01

I wore a knee length a line with a long sleeved cream top, it would have looked better tucked in but my hips are big enough.
I did wear it with tights and heels to give my legs a lift.

I'm wearing skirts atm as my trousers are too tight :-(

neveradullmoment99 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:28:49

A blouse is easier especially if it is something semi fitted but loose enough to hang over the tummy area. A lovely silk blouse for example that falls just below the tummy. Very flattering.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:31:17

outfit
This length.

Thirtyrock39 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:31:47

My standard work wear is cord knee length skirt- warm and cosy and doesn't feel too dressed up but still looks smart

LilaoftheGreenwood Wed 04-Oct-17 20:33:53

Same, reasonably fitted tops that fall naturally to bottom of tum. I'd love to wear tucked in, but my natural waist is really high and it looks wrong on me.

HeyMicky Wed 04-Oct-17 20:37:05

I wore a black Hush ruched Jersey skirt with a grey ubiqlo very neck merino sweater, black opaques and black ankle boots

I am not small of bum or thigh but the hush skirts are SO flattering

wrapsuperstar Wed 04-Oct-17 20:37:29

A navy blue midi skirt from Toast (see pic) with a slouchy Whistles sweatshirt. Quite a lot of material but I like it that way. I do tuck tees in when the weather's warmer but haven't really found an autumn equivalent I'm as comfortable with yet.

bigchris Wed 04-Oct-17 20:41:40

Oh thank you everyone this is really helping me !

skincarejunkie Wed 04-Oct-17 20:42:32

M&S camel coloured wool-ish above the knee. Mid blue fine knit sweater. Navy tights. Navy suede flat boots. Boring!!

LilaoftheGreenwood Wed 04-Oct-17 20:44:30

Sometimes a "half-tuck" works emsiewill, with a fluid blouse I will lightly tuck in round the front so it hangs over tummy and gives shape without giving a tucked-in silhouette all the way round.

bigchris Wed 04-Oct-17 20:45:42

I would choose denim knee length and knee high boots but worry that's dated

Myneaux Wed 04-Oct-17 20:45:45

I wore a burgundy cord a line skirt from primark (less than a tenner) with navy merino crew neck from uniqlo, navy tights and tan brogues with chunky necklace from wolf and moon. Felt very autumnal wearing burgundy again

mrssmith79 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:46:07

Bottle green tube skirt, black tights, black chelsea boots and a black slouchy fine knit top.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: