Talk

Advanced search

Anyone wear a diamond pendant day to day?

(37 Posts)
MulhuddartDrive Wed 04-Oct-17 18:17:38

I inherited a lovely diamond ring, a beautiful stone in a solitaire setting. I was thinking of getting it reset into a very simple pendant for everyday wear. I'm hesitating slightly as a friend said she'd be much more cautious of a necklace breaking and losing the diamond. I wear a necklace most days and don't think I've ever not noticed if a necklace broke while I was wearing it. It's probably only happened a couple of times in 20 years. Would I be foolhardy to risk it?

crochetmonkey74 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:23:30

I do- it's a fairly expensive one too, and I never take it off, even swim in it. my thinking is, why have lovely things and keep them in a box. If it's insured, I would go for it

Restingwitchface Wed 04-Oct-17 18:24:21

I do. It's a tiny diamond but very sparkly. I leave it on the whole time.

IrregularCommentary Wed 04-Oct-17 18:24:35

I'd wear it. My diamond necklace is too fancy for everyday wear, but if it was simpler I'd not hesitate to wear it.

Jewellery and similar is designed to be enjoyed imo. What's the point if you just stick it in a drawer and never look at it?

I realise I am very against the idea of saving stuff "for best" though - I've done it before and it just means I get less time to enjoy my favourite things so I stopped.

Redglitter Wed 04-Oct-17 18:24:42

No, go for it. My mum wears a diamond pendant every day. I've got one which was made from my grans engagement ring but I tend to keep.it good.

If you're not in the habit of breaking necklaces then I wouldn't give it a second thought. Better to have it as something you'll wear rather than it lying gathering dust in a box

DryHeave Wed 04-Oct-17 18:25:43

"My diamond necklace is too fancy" grin

MulhuddartDrive Wed 04-Oct-17 18:28:49

I didn't think about the insurance. Wonder if it's different for a necklace. It's currently insured but only if it's in the house or on me out of the house. I wear the ring every day at the moment.

I was thinking of this type of setting.

cathyandclare Wed 04-Oct-17 18:29:07

I do, it was a 40th birthday present from DH, it's emerald cut and a simple setting. I don't even think about it, it's like my engagement ring, just there all the time IYKWIM

cathyandclare Wed 04-Oct-17 18:29:48

That's pretty, go for it

Findingross Wed 04-Oct-17 18:37:27

I have phases of wearing mine (3 stones - increasing sizes - not huge around 1ct in total). I always wear it on special occasions and then remember how lovely it is and wear it for a couple of weeks.

I then take it off and keep it for the next occasion! Keeps it special for me.

It’s one of my treasures.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 04-Oct-17 18:41:25

Yes. Pretty much every day for about the last 15 years. Diamond solitaire pendant, simple setting, teardrop cut, 0.7 carat. I do periodically check the chain and setting.

workshyfop Wed 04-Oct-17 18:43:49

Yes I have a 0.5 carat solitaire similar to the pic you posted and I wear it every day.

carolhere Wed 04-Oct-17 18:52:13

That is absolutely lovely. Whats the point of keeping it hidden. You should be wearing it.

JoJoSM2 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:58:11

I don't wear one myself but I think it'll be fine. A lot less likely to get damaged than a ring, I would think. Just make sure the chain itself isn't too flimsy.

MulhuddartDrive Wed 04-Oct-17 18:59:03

Good to hear so many wear, and don't lose, them regularly. now I just need to find out how much it will cost!

PetraDelphiki Wed 04-Oct-17 19:02:41

Yes every day for 20+ years. Was bought with insurance money when all my inherited jewellery was stolen (still angry)...decided it's better to wear it than leave it in a box!

ZaraW Wed 04-Oct-17 19:07:07

I've had mine for fifteen years never had a problem. Why wouldn't you wear something you love?

MulhuddartDrive Wed 04-Oct-17 19:07:53

That sucks Petra. I hope you enjoy your necklace at least. This ring was actually bought for similar reasons. The last owner wore it every day, as I do now, but I feel like it's hers as a ring, but I'd make it mine as a necklace.

RavingRoo Wed 04-Oct-17 19:11:39

I think if you want a necklace you should buy one separately. Way I see it, if I inherited a ring from a loved one it would stay as a ring as that’s how they intended it.

battenbergbutterfly Wed 04-Oct-17 19:14:48

I do. Sleep in it, swim in it, never ever take it off.

Malib1 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:16:33

I wear a 4 carat Asprey diamond necklace daily, with 4 carat Tiffany earrings too. I like the sparkles, but keep my clothing understated.

Amber0685 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:17:10

I do and touchwood never had a problem

Xennialish Wed 04-Oct-17 19:20:51

I have a friend who wears one diamond earring and one pearl one, just realised that this might be why, they might be reset pieces, they suit her.

Redglitter Wed 04-Oct-17 19:24:44

Way I see it, if I inherited a ring from a loved one it would stay as a ring as that’s how they intended it

My grans engagement ring was made into a gorgeous diamond pendant for my 40th. No-one wanted to wear it as a ring so it lay in a box for about 20 years. Now it's been changed from a ring to a pendant it gets worn lots and is never in it's box for long
Personally I think that makes much more sense smile

Sedona123 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:27:06

If it's insured when you wear it, then just wear it every day if you want to. IMO if you save things (jewellery, handbags etc) for special occasions, then you really hardly ever wear/use them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now