Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Have you made any drunken purchases? Lighthearted.

(31 Posts)
BanyanTree Wed 04-Oct-17 15:12:36

I woke up on Monday morning to find that whilst under the influence of alcohol I bought a Lonchamps bag off eBay. I bid for it and everything. Don't get me wrong it is nice and I didn't pay too much for it, but I don't really need it. I remember looking at it but don't remember the bidding and paying. Apparently it is arriving tomorrow.

I once went out for a very boozy lunch then we went window shopping in very expensive shops. My friend convinced me that I deserved a £500 Fendi bag.

Obviously I need to only have cash on me when I drink from now on but this got me thinking.

What drunken purchases have you made?

Luckily these are the only 2 gaffs I have made in my many years.

Bombardier25966 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:04:46

A friend has multiple copies of those power ballad CDs advertised in the early hours. grin

SecretLifeOfSam Fri 06-Oct-17 00:21:42

I woke up one new years day to a jet ski on my eBay watch list.... luckily I didn't buy it grin

BanyanTree Fri 06-Oct-17 06:36:50

A jet ski LOL grin

LadyWithLapdog Fri 06-Oct-17 06:43:04

In full sobriety I ordered two different fridge freezers in a shop and didn't realise till delivery a few months later. Now waiting for collection and refund for one of them.

LadyWithLapdog Fri 06-Oct-17 06:44:53

My DH and kitchen designer didn't notice either, a three person failure. We realised yesterday when the kitchen fitter couldn't find space for both.

Therealslimshady1 Fri 06-Oct-17 06:58:53

I bought bright orange silk embroidered slipper-shoes, that (weirdly) were in the sale at Liberty's. This was after 3 large glasses of wine. They were 200 down from 600 shock, I normally never spend more than 50 on shoes

I wore them straight away, so could not return them the next day

Kept them in my closet for 8 years, where I'd see them, reminding me not to drink_and_shop, then ultimately charity shopped them.

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Oct-17 07:00:37

Years ago I bought some expensive perfume on a whim after a boozy lunch near Harvey Nicks. I then left it on the train on the way home.

I bought a fab book about Dyslexia last week after a Saturday night bottle glass of wine, which I'm quite pleased about, as I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Do you see how much more boring I've got as time has passed? grin

Lobsterquadrille2 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:04:37

My house.

Luckily it worked out ok and I'm still in it 13.5 years later, and love it.

AnaViaSalamanca Fri 06-Oct-17 17:08:39

2kg of figs from waitrose to make fig jam. Still hurts.

SheGotOffThePlane Fri 06-Oct-17 17:11:21

I once bid £3000 for a caravan on ebay when I'd been drinking. Thank fuck someone outbid me at the last minute I was in a cold sweat

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:24:11

I've just remembered the vast amount of fabric ordered from the US...my credit card company even queried it, and I said of course. That was 11years ago and I still have it stashed in a cupboard. £300 worth.

I've tried eBay-ing it to no avail. grin

shockofthepops Sat 07-Oct-17 02:10:24

My wedding dress 🤔.. luckily it all worked out ok though...

Therealslimshady1 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:18:56

How much did 2kg of figs in waitrose cost?! About £100??

Thebluedog Sat 07-Oct-17 08:25:34

A friend of mine -11 yoga balls for 99p each on eBay. He 'apparently' put the minimum bid on and let the auctions run, he'd bid on quite a few and won 11. They arrived over a number of weeks 😂😂

malovitt Sat 07-Oct-17 08:25:43

A masive cactus plant.

I had to hire a van to collect it and then when I was at the sellers' house, which had really high ceilings, I realised how tall it was and that it would never fit in my sitting room. I said I would have to chop the top off and the sellers got really upset and said that I couldn't mutilate their baby (!) so refused to let me take it and gave me a refund.
Still had to pay for the van though.

SadieContrary Sat 07-Oct-17 08:27:51

My mother has purchased a holiday and a private car registration when under the influence. Didn't realise til the appropriate paperwork arrived in the post for both! grin

KeiraTwiceKnightley Sat 07-Oct-17 08:30:56

I once bid what I thought was £6.92 for a DVD on eBay when pissed. Woke up to the knowledge that I could end up paying £692.00 for a 2nd hand copy of Pirates of the Caribbean. Thankfully eBays bidding process worked and I paid about a fiver.

It was a shit film too.

Xoticdreamz Sat 07-Oct-17 08:32:29

A huge trampoline for my son. Numerous shoes and dresses that I don't need.

Nettletheelf Sat 07-Oct-17 08:33:30

We know somebody who fell asleep drunk whilst looking at cars on eBay. His dog jumped up and managed to click 'buy it now' with its paws. Luckily it wasn't a very expensive car!

dudsville Sat 07-Oct-17 08:35:26

I'm grateful I've never shopped whole under the influence as it frequently takes all my effort to stop myself as it is!

Summer1986 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:36:32

A yellow joules coat after too much gin on a caravan holiday, love it and still wear it.

ChocolateCupcake123 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:39:23

A £900 mattress that I'd never even sat on 🙈

Grimmfebruary Sat 07-Oct-17 08:40:10

I once ordered a multitude of books, shoes and makeup whilst pissed... also conveniently managed to clear my order history from amazon so I just had to wait until the packages stopped arriving 😂

DanHumphreyIsA Sat 07-Oct-17 08:44:23

A black mini dress with mesh side cut outs. I have never, ever worn or bought anything similar and never wore this dress.
I honestly don't know why.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: