Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

puffy bags under eyes - what to do/use please?

(18 Posts)
PeaPodPopper Wed 04-Oct-17 12:42:31

As the title says I now have rather puffy baggy under eyes, something I've never had in my life before.

My skin is very pale with freckles, I've never worn makeup - just plenty of moisturiser every day. I rarely drink, don't smoke or sunbathe, and am now in my late 50's.

I'm not a vain person, but these bags make me look worn out. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what I can try please?

SprinkleOfInsanity Wed 04-Oct-17 12:51:58

Use an eye gel rather than a cream, cream is too heavy on the eye area past some elusive age and will drag the skin down. An eye gel would be your friend, la Roche posay do a lovely light one that still moisturises really well.

eye gel

SprinkleOfInsanity Wed 04-Oct-17 12:53:21

Forgot to add, a quick fix for bags would be the old trick of putting either cold (from the freezer) teaspoons under your eyes for a minute or, a cold tea bag.

squoosh Wed 04-Oct-17 12:57:09

I haven't tried it myself but my friend raves about The Ordinary's Caffeine Solution.

www.victoriahealth.com/product/Caffeine-Solution-5-EGCG/12237

Bombardier25966 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:10:10

I primarily use The Ordinary Caffeine, but find it quite drying. At night I'll top up with the LRP eye gel mentioned above! I've also the REN Beauty Shot Eye Lift, which has a great instant effect but doesn't last very long.

I don't think there is a cure as such, other than surgery, but whatever product you use needs to be well massaged. Some suggest that the massaging effect does more good than the product itself.

Maudlinmaud Wed 04-Oct-17 13:15:20

I've tried loads and loads of things with little result. Tell you what I did notice drinking lots of water, not reading in bed into the early hours and lymphatic drainage facials made a difference. But it's very hard to do all these. hmm

DollyPartonsBeard Wed 04-Oct-17 13:44:13

Massage works best for mine. The Lisa Eldridge routine is great:

youtu.be/CdkgqXBXprY

But on a daily basis I find gentle but firm pressure around sinus areas helps them deflate. It's always a good sign if I need to blow my nose afterwards. A warm damp flannel on my eyes when I wake also clears to good from tear ducts and allows fluid to drain out. I also find using a neti pot to flush my sinuses helps the puffiness to go down.

DollyPartonsBeard Wed 04-Oct-17 13:46:31

This has been the best product I've used (and I've tried many!) It's usually a couple of quid in Savers.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222078406319

PeaPodPopper Wed 04-Oct-17 15:43:12

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies. I forgot to say that this has only been an issue since becoming post menopause.

As I've gone through life taking absolutely no notice of anything to do with S&B I've already learned a few things on here which I shall take on board, try out one at a time, and report back.

@Sprinkle - should I avoid putting any moisturiser underneath my eyes at all?

SprinkleOfInsanity Wed 04-Oct-17 17:07:55

@PeaPodPopper gels are moisturizers, just without the heavy elements of a cream which are too rich for the delicate under eye area. The only cream I suggest you use is the la Roche Posay retin A one, and only at night. Then use the gel in the morning. The LRP eye products are very good, as none are heavy, yet all provide really good results smile

SprinkleOfInsanity Wed 04-Oct-17 17:17:29

Oh, and.. I don't work for LRP, promise. I'm just someone who had to go through a lot of products to find what didn't weigh down my skin, as people tend to think rich moisturiser = plump and smooth skin, it doesn't always work like that. I am also fair (alabaster) and freckly with inherited dark circles, and I couldn't cheerlead the LRP more. Boots have them almost permanently on 3 for 2.

PeaPodPopper Wed 04-Oct-17 19:24:44

Sprinkle, that's a great help and reassuring that we have the same type of skin (redhead here ), thank you . I'm in town tomorrow so will nip along to Boots and treat myself - will let you know how it goes. smile

SprinkleOfInsanity Wed 04-Oct-17 19:30:47

LRP cream to use at night

Have fun shopping tomorrow smile

Unicorn81 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:46:40

www.templespa.com/windows-of-the-soul

SprinkleOfInsanity Thu 05-Oct-17 18:53:25

@PeaPodPopper how did you get in with your shopping spree?

SprinkleOfInsanity Thu 05-Oct-17 18:53:40

*on

cessie322 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:42:03

Definitely going to try that LRP one Sprinkle. I have the ordinary caffeine one but it's not doing anything for me.

PeaPodPopper Fri 06-Oct-17 20:46:36

sprinkle thanks for asking- I had to work for a couple of hours first yesterday morning and so had planned to go into town after that. Got to work and my phone buzzed with a message to say that a parcel I'd ordered was on its way and would be delivered at 12.00. I had to go straight back home after work with no visit to town, then spend the afternoon getting ready for an all-day event I had to do today, and which I didn't get home from until about an hour ago. .....but at least I got my parcel.

I could have cried - but my eyes would be even puffier then!!!!! grin

So am going to try again on Monday - fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now