Talk

Advanced search

REALLY warm winter clothes for kids?

(21 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Wed 04-Oct-17 09:07:50

We're going somewhere super-cold at Christmas - think -25C daytime, feel-your-lungs-freeze temperatures - and I'm panicking slightly about finding warm enough clothes for the DCs (6yo and 10 months). Obviously we'll be indoors most of the time! But even for walking from cars to houses/shops, they'll need to be properly wrapped up. Can anyone recommend any affordable UK brands that make clothes for those kinds of temperatures? (We definitely can't afford fancy skiwear or anything like that!)

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-17 09:12:57

Uniqlo heattech leggings and tops worn under winter clothes.

MinnieMinchkin Wed 04-Oct-17 09:28:34

Are you visiting family? Could someone get something suitable there ready for your arrival? I have family in Canada and would do it that way as they can pick up appropriate winter coats and boots in supermarkets quite cheap.

Otherwise check out ski wear in TK Maxx.

iseenodust Wed 04-Oct-17 09:38:59

Ski wear has just started to trickle into TKMaxx so give it a couple of weeks.
M&S do thermal sets and long sleeve vests for older DC.

BabCNesbitt Wed 04-Oct-17 09:46:42

TBH Minnie I think that's probably what we'll wind up doing, but I just wondered if there was outerwear in the UK that's up to the task.

The reason I'm asking is that I saw a tag on snow boots in Decathlon boasting that they'd keep feet warm to -10C and it struck me that if that's the standard for cold weather gear here, none of it might cut it. We'll definitely be getting thermal underwear though, thanks iseenodust!

Silverstreaks Wed 04-Oct-17 09:47:02

Aldi will be doing Ski wear on 27th November. Good quality.

MrsMarigold Wed 04-Oct-17 09:55:38

I get stuff from Cambridge Baby their merino wool base layers are excellent and very light.

Yewtown Wed 04-Oct-17 10:02:12

Lands end have some good stuff in their sale section. They are American so have stuff suitable for extreme cold. I don’t think they have baby clothes though.

Shiftymake Wed 04-Oct-17 10:26:14

Think layers and wool! When I dressed up for extreme cold, think -30, it was all about the inner layers rather then the actual outer layer. The outer layers, jackets need to be windproof and waterproof with some padding. So thin wool base- a bit thicker sweater type, wool or fleece, jacket. Same with legs, thin wool base, another layer of thicker wool or fleece and a water+windproof trouser. Wool socks and padded boots. Tbf the items I find the hardest is gloves and a decent winter hat as for young babies and children you want it to protect as much of their face as possible but still be able to breath. The rest is easy enough with some hunting but the other two are tricky as those are the areas that normally get really cold fast, the hands and face, neck. www.lestricotsdemargot.com/products/153-cashmere-baby-balaclava-hood-grey.aspx is a good one for the youngest maybe with www.lestricotsdemargot.com/products/172-emily-bicolor-mittens-darklight-grey.aspx ?

Titsywoo Wed 04-Oct-17 10:30:49

Layers! I just bought ds a hoodie from m and s with a lovely thick fluffy lining which would be great in cold temps.

BabCNesbitt Wed 04-Oct-17 21:19:24

Thanks for all the advice (and for the Aldi tip, Silverstreaks!) Shifty, we may have to avoid wool due to allergies - do you know if synthetic alternatives (like Heattech, I guess) would be as effective?

Am expecting them to both go waddling out like the Michelin man now. grin

skincarejunkie Wed 04-Oct-17 21:25:09

I stuck tights under my ds trousers when we were in similar. Was 12 months old. Layer top half like mad! The rain cover on the pram can shield a biting wind.

coffeekittens Wed 04-Oct-17 21:40:49

Aldi ski stuff is amazing. Ebay is your friend aswell, I bought DD tresspass salopettes and ski coat for under £20 on eBay. When we weren't skiing she wore thermals under her normal clothes which were a bargain from go outdoors.

Shiftymake Wed 04-Oct-17 21:58:19

Technology is great isn't, yes the alternatives are well suited as well, just remember the key word: layers :-) cotton inner layer, fleece thick layer then outer clothes on top, would that work?

StoatInACoat Wed 04-Oct-17 22:07:34

My kids have Bogs neoprene welly boots which claim to be good up to -30!

Lidl had fleece lined waterproofs in last week so should have some left.

Deffo at least one set of thermal underwear each and if you can afford it I highly recommend the merino/silk mix long sleeve vests and leggings for both adults and kids. I wear mine as top and leggings on chilly days in the UK so they'd be useful beyond the trip.

ksb76 Thu 05-Oct-17 01:51:48

Patagonia do brilliant kids and baby stuff for the cold - we lived in canada for two years and my kids had tons of their stuff; jackets, fleeces, thermals etc. Definitely do lots of layers, and at that temperature, gloves, hats and scarves will be v important. Moreso probably than the actual clothing. You can wear tons of layers of regular clothes and be fine, but cold hands and heads will be painful.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Thu 05-Oct-17 02:38:53

I’m in Northern Canada, so -30 is a regular occurrence here. Bogs are popular. Stonz with fleece liners for babies/toddlers and their incredibly lightweight winter bootz for older children. Lots of layers is key. If it’s a dry climate, like here, you warm up as soon as you get indoors.
Reima is also popular here. I believe they’re Swiss.

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Oct-17 03:33:28

H&M ski and outdoor stuff is excellent, and performs alongside far pricier brands.

Logans Thu 05-Oct-17 03:44:49

Try going to a proper outdoors shop for advice. Then look on eBay for the same items but cheaper.

I’d certainly invest in proper base layers made of special wicking material rather than buying cotton. Admittedly it might be hard to find in baby sizes though!

HillaryWinshaw Thu 05-Oct-17 03:49:27

I’m in Minnesota and -20 is commonplace here. If you’re coming to the Midwest wait until you get here to buy. For brands, BOGS are great for shoes. Columbia, North Face or Lands End for clothing. Columbia have “omniheat” technology which is phenomenal.

NameNumber2 Thu 05-Oct-17 03:52:19

Sports direct do some good base and mid layers that we used for a trip to Lapland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now