Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your "going to work" face..

(69 Posts)
Bluesheep8 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:03:01

Hi, I work in a small office with 3 other women all aged between mid 30's and 50. I noticed yesterday that I'm the only one who wears make up-mineral foundation, blusher, eye pencil and mascara and I'm thinking that might be too much for work (I'm 44). How old are you and what's your everyday work face for an office environment?

Appuskidu Wed 04-Oct-17 08:04:48

I'm a similar age and wear make up. Some of my colleagues do and others don't.

I need to ask though, what is mineral foundation? How is it different from any other?

Bluesheep8 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:06:07

Forgot to add, some kind of lipgloss/tinted balm as well

User5trillion Wed 04-Oct-17 08:08:27

I am hopefully about to start a new job and never wear make up - been a sahm for years but will be applying a full face of slap, its part of my armour, like good work clothes. It feels like a lot of make up as I never wear any but actually its quite natural looking.

If it makes you feel good, go for it. Surely one of the benefits (only) of getting older is not giving a shit what anyone else thinks - similar age to you.

PurpleWithRed Wed 04-Oct-17 08:08:31

Just me and one other, but she is 100% office based and I am client-facing most days. I'd still wear some makeup even if I was not going to see clients, my bare face is just too casual for me (I'm 59). Office colleague never wears any makeup, but I think that's her style rather than any office-based choice.

Aria2015 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:11:06

I’m mid thirties and wear foundation, cream eyeshadow, eye liner, blusher and lipstick and I fill my eye brows. Sounds a lot when I write it down but it takes me 5 mins to apply and the eyeshadow is subtle so I don’t think I’m overdone. Doesn’t sound like you are either. Mix in my office too, although the girls in their 20’s are quite heavily made up but one is due to bad skin that she’s self conscious off.

If you feel good I’m what you wear then don’t change. My mother is in her 70’s and wears a full face of make up and always looks wonderful so I don’t think age matters at all.

CalmanOnSpeeddial Wed 04-Oct-17 08:18:10

Late 40s here. Undereye concealer, mascara, nude lippy and eyebrow fill in are my default (hypothyroidism means my eyebrows really need cover). If I’m making an effort I’ll add a covering of B.B. cream.

SukiTheDog Wed 04-Oct-17 08:21:41

Age is irrelevant. Some do...some don’t. I’m 55 and look deathly pale when I don’t wear makeup.

I rarely to foundation but do use Clinique City Block 40 which has a “blurring” effect 😊. Then blush/eye pencil/brown mascara/lip balm. Always gently do brows or else nothing looks right.

violetbunny Wed 04-Oct-17 08:47:06

Mid thirties. I wear the works (foundation, bronzer, blush, lipstick, eyeshadow etc) but I am careful not to be heavy handed and tend to stick to neutrals - I aim to look polished, not overdone. I will occasionally wear a bright lipstick but not often. I'd describe my office as a semi casual, creative environment.

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 04-Oct-17 08:53:42

I'm around your age OP and I don't wear any make up at all. None of the other women in my office wear obvious amounts of makeup, some don't wear any like me. It's a casual office, no one wears suits etc, unless they're meeting clients etc.

TheMildManneredMilitant Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:36

I'm mid 30s, work in an office. I always have on eye pencil, foundation, blush, mascara and then some kind of lip colour. It's all pretty subtle though compared to some. Its just whatever makes you feel good though - i don't feel right with too little or too much but i don't judge others who go for different looks.

Bluesheep8 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:04:57

In reply to a pp, not sure why I put mineral foundation specifically, as you say-no different to any other. Thanks for all the replies

BitOutOfPractice Wed 04-Oct-17 10:18:05

Bluesheep I’m 50 and I wear the same as you.** Powder over tinted moisturiser, eye liner (subtle, not “statement), mascara, lipstick / gloss and a little bit of blusher.**

So, IMO, yours sounds just right

BitOutOfPractice Wed 04-Oct-17 10:20:07

Sorry. No idea why that bold thing happened. Only meant to bold your name blush

Paintbox Wed 04-Oct-17 10:38:27

Course it's not too much for an office. Too much for an office imo would be smoky eyes, false eyelashes, contouring, bright or very bold eye shadows etc

SardinesAreSwimming Wed 04-Oct-17 10:42:37

Im not sure what everyone else does. I don't really care. I wear make up because I like it.

ChesterFuckingDraws Wed 04-Oct-17 10:55:44

I’m mid 30s, work In a police custody centre my female colleague wears mascara and that’s it and I wear a full face of makeup every single day.
Colour corrector, foundation, translucent powder, bronzer, contour, highlighter, blusher, eyebrows, eye liner, mascara, lipstick.
It’s all fairly natural looking but I do live in fear of having to wash my face at work as I never carry a makeup bag with me. I really should start!

NC4now Wed 04-Oct-17 10:58:06

I'm 40. Full face of makeup and a scowl, usually.
Just kidding - I'm usually pretty smiley at work till the boss turns up

rightknockered Wed 04-Oct-17 11:47:13

Well today I'm wearing foundation, concealer, blusher, mascara and lip balm.

reetgood Wed 04-Oct-17 11:53:23

I work in an informal setting, and sometimes just me in the office. I sometimes wear make up, is about how late I get up tbh. I'm quite fair so my face is mostly about looking more human than polished.

Mineral tinted moisturiser
Lollitint (like benetint)
Eyebrow mascara
Mascara
Bobbi brown cream shadow
Some concealer under eyes occasionally

Am mid thirties.

RatRolyPoly Wed 04-Oct-17 11:54:21

I'm 33 and wear factor 50 sun cream.

That's it.

Perhaps I should wear something more!

April241 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:25:22

Tinted moisturiser or sheer coverage foundation, under eye concealer (my circles are awful!!!!), blusher, brows, one colour neutral eyeshadow, sometimes a smidge of eyeliner and always a good few coats of mascara.

Sofabitch Wed 04-Oct-17 12:32:02

Well it gets a bit tricky to remove the skin without damaging it. So i generally leave the same face on when I go to work. I tried changing faces once and it just slid off halfway through a meeting. Trust me its never good to flash whats under ypur fave at a meeting.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 04-Oct-17 12:33:48

I’m 31. I wear just CC cream in summer and foundation on top of it in winter or if my skin is bad. Then blusher, bronzer, neutral brown/grey eyeshadow and black mascara.

No lipstick or eyeliner unless I have an evening event.

I dye my eyebrows black (naturally dark brown) so I don’t need to do anything to them otherwise than clear gel to keep hairs in place. I touch my face too much to be dealing with eyebrow make up! Aim to look natural and polished not made up.

Lottapianos Wed 04-Oct-17 12:37:13

I work for the NHS, sometimes clinical and client-facing, sometimes office based. I wear a pretty full face most days - foundation, eye shadow, brows, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, bronzer and lipstick at a minimum. Some days fresh and glowing, some days (like today) are more smoky eye and berry-toned. I have colleagues who wear more make up than I do, and quite a few who wear none at all.

I think its totally personal taste, and doing what you feel good in. I think make-up would only look unprofessional if it was seriously badly applied (think smeared lipstick, eyeliner all over the place, chipped nails) or verging on drag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now