Talk

Advanced search

Things you really want to wear but just don't suit you

(180 Posts)
Zeropiddledwhilehomeburned Tue 03-Oct-17 14:38:10

Today I received the following that I had ordered online - a pair of Hush harems, and a pair of Nike Internationalist trainers. I can wear these together, I thought, that will look good. So I duly tried them on and went to admire myself in the full length mirror.

I looked ridiculous. Like mutton dressed as lamb. I am 46, and have clearly learnt nothing from the time, about 28 years ago, when I ill-advisedly wore a pair of Soul II Soul tracksuit bottoms with some enormous Converse basketball trainers and got odd looks from people at sixth form college and complete strangers.

I still yearn for harem trousers and trainers though. Stupidly. Anyone else "suffer" similarly?!

shooeghMcFee Tue 03-Oct-17 14:43:38

Oh yes indeed. There's so many shops that I used to go in all the time, and now I don't frequent at all because I am too old for their clothes.

I love high heels but once again, I would look bloody stupid in them now, and that's assuming that I could still walk in them.

There's not much said for getting older, but looking like mutton dressed as lamb is worst of all, imo.

MrsPear Tue 03-Oct-17 14:44:52

Tube skirts. I'm pear shaped enough said!

DubiousCredentials Tue 03-Oct-17 14:47:28

Hoodies. I look like an overgrown teenager.

Ponchos. The knitted type. Just wrong.

ChinUpChestOut Tue 03-Oct-17 14:47:58

Zero With the exception of very short skirts and dresses, crop tops, bumcheek baring shorts and ra-ra frills, most things can be worn at any age!

Why didn't the harems suit you? Was it the top that you were wearing with them, or did they not suit your body shape?

Ohmygodeverynameisfuckinginuse Tue 03-Oct-17 14:48:52

Red lipstick. Doesn't suit me. But I really want to wear it.

buttwingsham Tue 03-Oct-17 14:52:59

Pleated skirts.
I love them but I look one of those dolls my grandma used to hide the loo roll under my hips are just too big.

MaisieDotes Tue 03-Oct-17 14:55:18

Haha I came on to say harem pants.

Millions of other things. Crop tops is one. I have 3 DC and am an apple shape.

WeeMadArthur Tue 03-Oct-17 14:58:48

Batwing tops, love them but when I try them on, no, just no.

Anything with spaghetti straps or off the shoulder. I'm sturdy, which is great when I need to carry in the shopping, but not so much when I look like a shot putter in a dress.

hollygolipo Tue 03-Oct-17 15:03:34

Leather jackets - I look like Suzi Quattro's fat nan.

And that Zara frayed coat in which I could have joined a Beatles tribute act...

Zeropiddledwhilehomeburned Tue 03-Oct-17 15:04:27

chinupchestout I think overall the look (such as it was) of harem pants and trainers just made me feel like I was trying too hard, or something. I have some harem type trousers (tapered leg jersey) which I wear successfully, as it were. I think with the Hush ones it may have been the gathering at the bottom of the legs, round the ankles. I dunno really - I just didn't feel like the whole thing was 'me'!

I have some New Balance 520 trainers in my sights now! I think the Nike ones looked a bit too trainer-y, if you see what I mean.

Perhaps all it boils down to is confidence, in the end.

noenergy Tue 03-Oct-17 15:04:55

Jumpsuit

Hoodie

Harem pants

Straight skirt

theboud Tue 03-Oct-17 15:05:22

Polo necks. I look like a cat burglar.

WellTidy Tue 03-Oct-17 15:07:23

Shift shape dresses. I have no chest, wobbly tummy and wide hips and thighs. A straight dress isn't a possibility.

DressageNut Tue 03-Oct-17 15:07:28

Anything boho makes me look like I live in a caravan with 30 cats.

Lottapianos Tue 03-Oct-17 15:09:43

'Red lipstick. Doesn't suit me'

I'm sure that's not true ohmygod. Tell us your colouring and I'm sure either me or one of the other make up buffs on here will find one to suit you smile

Eolian Tue 03-Oct-17 15:11:00

Proper cotton shirts. They just don't fit me properly - either gape at the bust or make look like I'm wearing a tent. Even the 'fitted for curvy women' ones look awful on me.

clumsyduck Tue 03-Oct-17 15:11:51

I have this with various things , I don't get it ?? I'm tall and reasonable slim and still reasonably young , you'd think most stuff would look ok

Wrong . Nothing to "out there" either for example a long summer dress or gypsy style top 2 items I tried on not long ago for my holiday . I looked horrendous ! Even dp who only ever says nice things admitted after much pushing that they didn't suit me . So it's not just me thinking it

Whyyyyy

tobee Tue 03-Oct-17 15:13:10

Every now and then I see a long, floaty, hippy dress that I like. Fancy myself being that way. (I’m not). But, over the years, I’ve tried some on. I’m just too short and stumpy. I look in the mirror and think “I just need to top it off with a witch’s hat” and hear Hall of the Mountain King playing in my head.

dontcallmelen Tue 03-Oct-17 15:14:03

Wide leg trousers/crop trousers anything midi length or shapeless/wafty, ankle boots.
I’m very petite with short legs & no hips, only things that look good are fitted dresses/straight trousers ankle boots make my twiggy little legs look like golf clubs☹️

slug Tue 03-Oct-17 15:58:39

Scarves. A GG bust and neck and shoulders that still have the structure of a competitive swimmer. Scarves and anything close to the neck (polo necks, necklaces) simply don't work.

BoredOnMatLeave Tue 03-Oct-17 16:13:47

Any sort of chilled out, relaxed look, including hoodies, leggings, oversized jumpers. I look homeless when I wear them

xqwertyx Tue 03-Oct-17 16:17:33

Clothes.

SquirrelPlantedBeech Tue 03-Oct-17 16:17:50

Skinny jeans

missarcher Tue 03-Oct-17 16:19:47

High wasted jeans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now