Talk

Advanced search

Could I wear this to a black tie dinner?

(74 Posts)
Myneaux Tue 03-Oct-17 13:50:38

Ive been invited to a black tie dinner with work and Im feeling stressed about what to wear.

Im comfortable with semi formal but I dont really know what is expected...I suspect that I could get away without wearing a full length ball gown but still need to be conservatively dressed.

I have a small budget (up to about £80) and would like something I could wear again. I found this dress in Warehouse today and it was only £20...it fits perfectly and is my kind of style. I am normally a bit quirky and know for wearing colour and unusual jewellery.

Its jacquard fabric and has a slight sheen to it....i thought maybe with heels, nude tights/bare legs and red lippy I could just about get away with it. Be honest is it too casual?

All the other formal dresses feel too frumpy (Im 40), bare too much flesh, are black (Im too pale) and expensive

for reference Im 5.4 with blonde hair, size 10.

www.warehouse.co.uk/gb/sale/dresses/wild-garden-dress/029484.html?dwvar_029484_color=99&position=84&cgid=sale-dresses#sz=60&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBZkNYhv4eum42x6Wte4pp1n4y-tp3kB8v9Q4VoJ7RkBcdZ8lVu3h7BoClPAQAvD_BwE&start=84&categoryID=sale-dresses

Stormwhale Tue 03-Oct-17 13:53:01

Sorry it's far to casual imo.

Stormwhale Tue 03-Oct-17 13:53:17

*too blush

Loyly Tue 03-Oct-17 13:53:43

Sorry, OP, it's very casual.

DorisDay88 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:55:01

I think it’s a bit too casual tbh although I do like it
Think it’s maybe the hemline? For me it needs to be a little bit longer and go straight down rather than frilling out

blueskyinmarch Tue 03-Oct-17 13:55:14

That is a casual summer frock not a black tie dress. Sorry.

dontquotemeondailymail Tue 03-Oct-17 13:55:18

Sorry, have to agree with PPs, it's too casual in my opinion

Bobbins43 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:55:25

It’s too casual. I would say it needs to be longer.

blueskyinmarch Tue 03-Oct-17 13:57:11

Asos do lots of inexpensive and modern looking evening dresses.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 03-Oct-17 13:57:25

Too short, too casual and too summery.

beansbananas Tue 03-Oct-17 13:57:33

Agree with others it’s too casual and perhaps a little young... I would suggest a cocktail dress is what most women wear to black tie events these days. If you go for something simple yet elegant and probably in black, you can’t really go wrong.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 03-Oct-17 13:58:11

It's very pretty though and only£20 so I think you should buy itgrin

StorminaBcup Tue 03-Oct-17 13:59:35

No from me too. Have you tried Coast? They have a good sale on so shouldn’t be too expensive plus they’re owned by the same company as Warehouse.

Blodplod Tue 03-Oct-17 13:59:44

That needs flip flops and a beach.. far far too casual

jcscot Tue 03-Oct-17 13:59:47

Definitely too casual, even for the most relaxed of black tie "do"s. Sorry.

FindingNemoandDory Tue 03-Oct-17 13:59:54

Also think too casual but can you find out what other peopl are wearing/how dressy?

I've found that a "black tie" dress code for women can vary wildly from lbds, to cocktail dresses, to long but slender dresses, to full on ball gowns.

£80 is a good budget for a cocktail type dress but I know it can be hard finding what you want sometimes!

Lipsy are always good and a modest neckline/length would be appropriate if you can find one on ebay? Or borrow one? I put something on Facebook once for a Christmas party and lots of kind people offered dresses!

YoureAnArseholeDenise Tue 03-Oct-17 14:00:48

Yep. Too casual.

As a side note - why do models stand like that with deliberate round shoulders and hunched posture??

Yvetteballs Tue 03-Oct-17 14:01:12

It needs to be smart but can be long or short. Lots of choice then.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Tue 03-Oct-17 14:01:22

That's the kind of think I'd wear day to day with ankle boots, tights and a Cardigan. Lovely dress buy waaayyto casual

Myneaux Tue 03-Oct-17 14:02:33

Oh no.....I had a feeling you would say that (I secretly knew it was)

Back to the drawing board I suppose.....I normally love shopping but this is proving painful. I have already trawled through 100's of dresses on asos but somehow none of them really seem like me.

Thank you for all your quick replies.

alittlequinnie Tue 03-Oct-17 14:04:07

Way too casual. I went to a black tie do on Saturday. I had thought before I went that I could get away with a strappy top and dressy trousers or something like a black wrap dress but OMG the glamour at the event! People looked amazing - if I had worn a dress like that i would have felt out of place.

I ended up buying a cheap black strapless dress on ebay for £3.95. I added satin straps and tailored it to fit me - it was slightly a line with some discreet beads - I was one of the least "dressed up" ones there!

Myneaux Tue 03-Oct-17 14:06:03

I havent tried Lipsy but associated them with the Wag look...so will check them out and hopefully be surprised.

I hate wearing black which is the main problem and I cant find anything that has a bit of personality (coast just seems very old fashioned and a bit boring). I also dont have any curves so the bodycon style / very fitted stuff looks awful on me.

YoumeandlittleP Tue 03-Oct-17 14:10:08

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272869804497

Ghost dresses are beautiful, come in all different styles and colours and can be dressed up or down. To buy new they are quite expensive but if you don't mind eBay then there are loads on there that would fit your particular needs.

Yvetteballs Tue 03-Oct-17 14:10:41

I like this:
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Nicola-Dress.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBW8gNaoJKdoINPcRlCFeOBSPkQp5aAdFyVryH_wMLDM7Hz7SvjawbBoC2DAQAvD_BwE

Monsoon has some nice ones.

Shiftymake Tue 03-Oct-17 14:15:29

www.zalando.co.uk/wal-g-with-side-frill-cocktail-dress--party-dress-dark-green-wg021c05v-k11.html ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now