Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Which brands do you think are overrated?

(65 Posts)
Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 03-Oct-17 12:53:15

I think Dior and Chanel are.

Dior foundation was rubbish and my Chanel lipstick has no staying power and ends up everywhere.

What brands do you think are overrated?

Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 03-Oct-17 12:53:35

Title should say what not which blush

Pancakeflipper Tue 03-Oct-17 12:59:27

I had some Jo Malone face cream bought for me recently. It was basically Atrixo face cream my granny used except just grease sat on my face.
Disappointing I was hoping to look youthful and dewy.

Ohwhatbliss Tue 03-Oct-17 13:03:23

I don’t think you can write off an entire brand based on their lipstick! I love my Chanel foundation. I found that Dior mascara that everyone raves about rubbish but wouldn’t say all Dior cosmetics are overrated

Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 03-Oct-17 13:06:19

@Ohwhatbliss yes that's true, I know, but that lipstick was a major letdown sad

Dior was more of across the board, tried a few of them but it was the foundation and mascara that made me think it's really overrated.

Cookiecake Tue 03-Oct-17 13:10:37

I did get given some Chanel nail polish which is the worse nail polish I have ever used. I tried it again thinking it must be some mistake but was just as bad the second time. It went in the bin and I will be sticking to cheaper nail polish from now on.

Moregilmoregirls Tue 03-Oct-17 13:13:46

I agree Chanel nail polish is the worst, had three different ones (2 were gifts) and all chipped badly within a couple of days.

BlueButTrue Tue 03-Oct-17 13:14:35

I think Benefit are overrated.

Their blushers are okay though

MCBeatsandGrindah Tue 03-Oct-17 13:16:28

Charlotte Tilbury.

MarchEliza Tue 03-Oct-17 13:18:31

I LOVE Dior cosmetics. But Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream doesn't nothing for me.

FledglingFTB Tue 03-Oct-17 13:18:48

Clinique, the 3 step ruined my face and cost a bomb

MorrisZapp Tue 03-Oct-17 13:22:11

Kerastase. Smells of the Eighties.

VeryPunny Tue 03-Oct-17 13:23:35

Can we do clothes as well? Hush is top of the list for me - the quality of the clothes I have ordered was shocking. It all went back.

whiteroseredrose Tue 03-Oct-17 13:24:37

Charlotte Tilbury. Got kind of mugged into it after a 'make over'.

Pancakeflipper Tue 03-Oct-17 13:25:08

Fledgling - use the toner to clean your taps with, brings them up a shiny treat.

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Tue 03-Oct-17 13:25:23

Definitely found the Chanel nail varnish disappointing though my dm loves it.

Liz Earle cleanse and tone is great but not fussed on most of the other products I've tried.

On another note, I've loved everything by Burt's Bees that I've tried 😁🐝

Dontknowwhattodonowok Tue 03-Oct-17 13:28:33

@pancakeflipper Jo Malone is rubbish at any facial skincare, their cream is only good for the smell!

I think Benefit is very overrated. Chanel foundations are incredible though- but would never buy a nail varnish from them. I’ll also never drop money on jersey wear from All Saints- fifty quid for a tshirt when I can get better quality from M&S!

Mrsknackered Tue 03-Oct-17 13:29:19

Benefit.I've found that their foundation sort of crumbles as you apply.
Also agree with the Dior mascara being rubbish.
I've never had a bad Clinique mascara, but I have a Clinique face wash which is so rubbish. It doesn't remove any make up - just sort of spreads it across your face - which is annoying as I hate using wipes.
I try to buy Charlotte Tilbury for ethical reasons but I don't feel like the products are very good.

Footle Tue 03-Oct-17 13:33:58

‘Which’ was much better than ‘what’.

orzal Tue 03-Oct-17 13:34:35

I think both Jo Malone and Clinique are owned by Estee Lauder. It's so annoying when brands change their formulations.

slug Tue 03-Oct-17 13:57:05

A third vote for Charlotte Tilbury

bitchpleaase Tue 03-Oct-17 14:32:55

Bare Minerals. Utter, utter shite.

AnaViaSalamanca Tue 03-Oct-17 15:13:19

reiss used to be good, but terrible quality these days

eyebrowseyebrows Tue 03-Oct-17 15:28:25

I love my Dior mascara.

I agree with Chanel though.

SukiTheDog Tue 03-Oct-17 15:38:09

Benefit and Mac. Everything looks orange on me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: