Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Talk to me about fixing spray for make up...

(21 Posts)
ja9r Mon 02-Oct-17 13:25:45

Does it work?

Your favourite brand?

Matt or dewy?

Please help a novice!

ja9r Mon 02-Oct-17 19:17:40

Anyone?

lubeybooby Mon 02-Oct-17 19:20:09

if you want it to actually fix make up in place rather than making it dewy then you need one with alcohol such as gerard cosmetics slay all day or urban decay all nighter

I am also a fan of the primark one in a black can

chipsandpeas Mon 02-Oct-17 19:21:59

im also a fan of the primark one in the black can, i find its just as good as my urban decay one and a fraction of the cost

Ttbb Mon 02-Oct-17 19:22:02

When I was at school a lot of girls would set it with hairspray if they were getting it done for an event (so from an early afternoon appointment until the early hours of the morning). It seemed to work.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 02-Oct-17 19:25:01

I have used urban decay on a couple of occasions, a wedding and a works do, it did keep my makeup in place for the evening. Feels a bit sticky when its drying but otherwise fine. I wouldn't fancy wearing it every day though, don't like the thought of a layer of glue over my skin all day long!

AccrualIntentions Mon 02-Oct-17 19:28:24

Another vote for the Urban Decay one here, All Nighter is the one I used. Wouldn't use it every day as I think it could be drying but it's great for nights out.

BluebellGal Mon 02-Oct-17 19:48:56

I got the Urban Decay one for free. Not normally something I would buy or use a lot, but useful for wedding or long business trip

BluebellGal Mon 02-Oct-17 19:49:40

Yes it works and I would recommend the Urban Decay product

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Mon 02-Oct-17 19:54:51

Another vote here for the Urban Decay one. I use it almost every day as I don't get a chance to touch up my makeup. It's really good.

ja9r Mon 02-Oct-17 19:55:09

That primark tip is just the kind I was looking for!

So just for special occasions then- folk don't tend to use it daily?

How much is the primark one and how much urban decay?

MozzchopsThirty Mon 02-Oct-17 20:03:11

I use the revolution one

It’s good value for money and works well
I use it daily as I find my make up buggers off by 11am

ClaireFraser Wed 04-Oct-17 00:24:23

I use the NYX one from Boots in matt, about £7 IIRC, for the days when I don't want my make up to shift.

It's brilliant, have worn it to a couple of weddings lately where I've done my makeup at 9am and after a whole day of being outside (marquee weddings, so subject to 'weathering') drinking and one hell of a lot of crazy dancing, and it's still been perfect at 2am the next morning!

You can't tell I have it on, I can't feel it on my face (do press your lips together when spraying IYSWIM as it feels a bit sticky on your lips otherwise) but it doesn't make my skin feel sticky/greasy/dry to touch and doesn't change the look of my makeup.

WomblingThree Wed 04-Oct-17 08:10:03

I like the Makeup Revolution one. I think it’s £5, but it lasts ages. I’ve got the matte one but I would go for a non-matte next time. I saw the Primark one and wondered if it was any good, so I’ll give that a go.

guilty100 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:53:50

I have the L'Oreal Infalllible one. I was a bridesmaid earlier in the summer at a wedding and, along with the other bridesmaids, I had a proper full face of makeup done at a salon (bride's request). It was caked on, and the day was very, very hot, plus I had to walk quite a long way. I used this and offered some to the other bridesmaids, one of whom refused. Her makeup fell off catastrophically in about 2 hours, to the point she had to leave and reapply at her hotel, whereas all of the rest of ours stayed put. It gets my vote.

ja9r Wed 04-Oct-17 11:45:37

Brilliant info. Thanks all.

Opheliasgoldenwine Wed 04-Oct-17 11:54:22

NYX one for sure, great stuff smile

N0tNowBernard Wed 04-Oct-17 12:08:48

Oooohh I want some now!

arousingcheer Wed 04-Oct-17 12:19:16

I am maybe the only person in the world who didn't love All Nighter spray. I didn't find it made a tremendous difference tbh (I have a t zone which is completely resistant to makeup). The Smashbox Primer Water spray is completely useless unless all you want is a bit of glow.

ja9r Wed 04-Oct-17 21:31:12

@guilty100 I'm really surprised the make up artist didn't apply it on all your faces...

Still, glad that she didn't as that proved the perfect controlled experiment!

guilty100 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:01:00

ja9r - she didn't use any setting stuff at all. Fortunately, I had brought my own, and I just spritzed it on myself and the bride. Given that the makeup cost an absolute arm and a leg and wasn't even that good, and it was ruined for the other bridesmaid in a matter of hours because of the heat, I thought it was a bit weird.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: