Talk

Advanced search

Fluted sleeves?

(18 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Fri 29-Sep-17 22:57:12

I think it's because i'm on a Harry Potter kick at the moment (don't ask, or if you do, you do so at your own peril. grin )
Anyway, I've noticed they're back in, yay! I had a few tops in the noughties that had drapey sleeves and I loved them. I've recently bought a black cardi (TU) a purple velvet dress and a green and a black top (Peacocks.) I'm planning on wearing the dress with long black socks and combat boots. Does anyone else like them? I will post links if anyone wants me to.

GhoulsFold Fri 29-Sep-17 23:05:48

I can't make my mind up on the fluted sleeves. I think it depends on the wearers build. If petite, I personally think they look a bit silly. I've recently bypassed dresses I liked, until I saw the fluted sleeves and thought "nope, I'm too small for those bloody flappy sleeves, I'll look a twat!"

minipie Fri 29-Sep-17 23:08:03

I just know I'd get them in my dinner.

RNBrie Fri 29-Sep-17 23:08:35

Ahhh I fucking hate fluted sleeves. They look so glamorous when you're on line shopping but in reality they just get in the way when you're doing the washing up and shovelling yoghurt into the baby. I can't wait for the fluted sleeve and cut out shoulder fad to pass!!!

I am presuming you have a far more glamorous life than me OP grin

coffeekittens Fri 29-Sep-17 23:52:21

I love them. They really suit me as I have broad shoulders and hips so take the attention away. I really hope that they're here to stay.

Botanicbaby Sat 30-Sep-17 09:21:19

Where have you been OP? You've only just noticed? smile I thought my navy jumper with fluted sleeves would look positively dated by now, I agree with others you cannot wear them if you need to eat, the sleeves are a right pain then!

NC4now Sat 30-Sep-17 09:47:02

I have the opposite issue Ghoulsfold. I'm a bit chunkier than I'm happy with and steer clear of them because they add volume.

I had a wonderful crushed velvet flute sleeved top in the 90s that was totally Harry Potter esque. But I was size 12 with dreadlocks and could carry it off. Not any more. 😩

Peppermeant Sat 30-Sep-17 11:48:36

They really suit me. I prefer the 3/4 length though so they don't get in the way.

peoplearepeople Sat 30-Sep-17 13:29:43

I love the idea of them, but in reality I find they get in the way and I just become really irritated by them. It makes it really awkward putting a jacket or anything over the top as well. smile
Would love the link for the purple dress though op. It sounds brilliant.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 30-Sep-17 18:21:43

I have a plain black dress that has them. Saving it for my xmas night out.

YouWereRight Sat 30-Sep-17 18:28:52

I love them. Not great for eating crisps though.

BusterGonad Sat 30-Sep-17 21:02:24

I love them.

bitchpleaase Sat 30-Sep-17 21:04:27

God, I wish this trend would die. So many potentially wonderful pieces in the shops at the moment totally ruined by unnecessary flaring.

Longdistance Sat 30-Sep-17 21:06:51

I've seen so many nice looking tops. I take them off the rail, and they have a fluted sleeve. They get put back.

Apachepony Sat 30-Sep-17 21:25:26

I read that fluted sleeeves are good for apple shapes - draw attention away from the tummy. I like them actually.

Bloomed Sat 30-Sep-17 21:31:06

I love them but get caught on furniture etc

SapphireSeptember Thu 12-Oct-17 01:10:58

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I've been off doing other stuff.

RNBrie I wish! I have 'going outside on days I can wear what I want' clothes, my work uniform, and nighties. I change into a nightie when I get home because I'm lazy and don't like messing up my clothes.

Botanic I had noticed it a bit in the summer, but what I saw was all frilly gingham and pastels. Yuck. Now it's things that are much more witchy looking and that makes me happy.

people www.peacocks.co.uk/149124.html There you are, I've worn mine twice now and got compliments both times. grin I find it hides my tummy beautifully (the advice I got from someone to wear a belt with it was greeted with disdain.)

www.peacocks.co.uk/148337.html
www.peacocks.co.uk/148338.html

For sake of completion I've added the links to the tops I got too (the cardi isn't on the TU website anymore.) I love the black one, I feel like I'm channelling my inner Snape when I wear it. grin

hugoagogo Thu 12-Oct-17 07:06:49

Not only do they look a bit daft, but how do you wear a cardigan with them?confused
I am imagining having to fold them like you would your trousers when putting wellies on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now