Talk

Advanced search

Diamond Stud Earrings

(12 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Amber0685 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:37:20

Hi, I would like to buy my sister some diamond stud earrings for her 40th birthday. Where is the best place to buy them? She wears white gold or silver if that matters. Thanks

Amber0685 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:39:54

Sorry, have asked to move to S&B

CarolineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Sep-17 19:46:40

We're moving it over for you now Amber <makes note to refer my family to this thread around my birthday time> grin.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 25-Sep-17 19:57:36

Not sure I am being helpful when I say that my diamond studs are actually white sapphires and bought in Sri Lanka. They have however been valued at at least double the price we paid, and it would take a gemologist to tell the difference. Brilliant cut, like diamonds, just only 90% as hard. Ten years ago, we paid about £90 IIRC.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 25-Sep-17 20:05:03

Never ever get silver as a setting for diamonds. It simply isn't strong enough. Actually I don't even think you could get silver set diamonds.

So you mean actual diamonds if so you could get a reasonable pair from a big street jeweller i.e. goldsmiths for £750 upwards. Baring in mind a pair at &750 are going to be very small.

What is your budget.

Rockchick1984 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:05:19

Depends how much you want to spend, and if you are more concerned about getting the biggest size diamond for your money or the highest colour and clarity.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 25-Sep-17 20:06:00

God, terrible sp and g there. Sorry.

Amber0685 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:17:09

£500 I would prefer a better quality rather than size. Thanks for the replies

TheMathsTrainee Mon 25-Sep-17 20:46:48

If you want cubic zircona earrings rather than real diamonds. Jools does some lovely sparkly ones set in silver. John Lewis does them.

I thought of getting some diamond earrings (to match my sparkly ring) but decided against it due to the price and I'd be too worried about losing them.

squiz81 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:48:32

My husband got me some, I think they were about £600. They are set in platinum which would be a good option if your sister likes silver and white gold.
Can t remember where he got them, possibly Ernest Jones (as that's near his office smile )

Housewife2010 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:56:24

See if you can get the stems threaded so that they screw in. I lost a diamond stud several years ago which was very upsetting. I now have a very expensive pair from Boodles which I bought with money from my late Mother's house sale. I wear them daily and love them. I had the stems threaded and it keeps them secure.

ImNotReallyAWaitress Wed 27-Sep-17 01:29:41

An independent jeweller will be able to get pairs of earrings in, in various sizes for you to see.
You'll get much more for your money than if you go to one of the big chains as they have much higher mark ups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now