Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WTF H&M?!?

(88 Posts)
smileygrapefruit Mon 25-Sep-17 17:24:20

How to make a postpartum woman feel even better about her new, less than perfect body. Ordered some jeans online, I'm a 12 but wanted to make sure no muffin top so ordered them in a 12 and 14. They arrived today and I can barely pull the 14s over my thighs and they are about 6 inches from being able to do up. So upset and feeling really shit about myself now. I know my existing size 12 jeans fit so there must be something drastically wrong with their sizing but it's still not great for self confidence. I would have taken a picture but it was too embarrassing!

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Mon 25-Sep-17 17:29:39

H&M sizing is famously bonkers. I swear they pick the size labels blindfold at random, in the factoryhmm

smileygrapefruit Mon 25-Sep-17 17:31:13

Oh really Duck ? Well that's good to know but bloody ridiculous. They honestly look like a size 6!!

littleflowershop Mon 25-Sep-17 17:31:55

The H&M sizing is crazy!

I’m a standard size 12 (a 10 in some places//clothes styles) and I did the same as you, ordered a 12 and 14 in a pair of jeans I liked from H&M as I wanted them slightly looser due to style and the 14 I could squeeze on but there was a good 6/7 inches between the button!!!!

littleflowershop Mon 25-Sep-17 17:32:52

I couldn’t even get the size 12s over my knees grin

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Mon 25-Sep-17 17:33:17

Yep. I have H&M stuff ranging from xs to L and 8 to 14. I wear an 8-10 in most shops.

missyB1 Mon 25-Sep-17 17:34:01

All their trousers come up small. I am normally an 8 in most shops but a 12 in h&m. Don't worry about it!

Floisme Mon 25-Sep-17 17:34:57

The letters stand for 'hit and miss'. I've been everything from an 8 to a 16 there. I assume it's why they're cheap - no quality control.

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Mon 25-Sep-17 17:35:45

grin flo

Therealslimshady1 Mon 25-Sep-17 17:36:12

Why feel shit about yourself? What a weird response

H&M are the ones being shit

Lots of their clothes come up small, there was a DM article about it a few weeks ago

Gah81 Mon 25-Sep-17 17:36:23

Oh H&M are notorious for sizing running small. I am a good few sizes larger there than anywhere else!

C4Envelope Mon 25-Sep-17 17:37:22

My post party's jeans were a size 16 from H&M - I'm a twelve now and a ten before pregnancy. The size 16 were slightly too tight. Their sizing is appalling !

C4Envelope Mon 25-Sep-17 17:37:48

Post party's grin postpartum*

acornsandnuts Mon 25-Sep-17 17:38:44

I was in H&M yesterday, I think their sizing isn't standard because it's all the items that other shops said weren't quite right. There's something always a bit off with every item. A bow in the wrong place, sleeves too long for the body, tiny waist trousers with really long legs. Bizare

MaisyPops Mon 25-Sep-17 17:38:54

H&M sizes are on thr smaller size. It's an open secret and thr internet is full of women whining about it.

Being postpartum doesn't come into it. There's a bottomless pit of women being annoyed at H&M sizes.

You don't feel good about yourself and that's rubbish but that's not the shop's fault for running a little small (pretty much to cater for a smaller framrd target market who struggle to buy clothes in other shops).

In H&M's women's line I'm an 8. In their black label range (divided) I'm a 12 because that line is tiny fitting for the more teen market. It's just life.

smileygrapefruit Mon 25-Sep-17 17:39:40

Felt shit because I'm not exactly back to my prepregnancy size/shape and these are the first new clothes I've bought since having the baby. Wanted to make myself look and feel better and it was just awful trying and failing to even get them on never mind do them up!!!

Thanks for the responses though, now I feel ok, although still angry that I don't have any new jeans!

smileygrapefruit Mon 25-Sep-17 17:41:45

Maisy I would argue it is kind of the shops fault and they are running more than a little bit small

urbansprawl Mon 25-Sep-17 17:42:14

Oh please don't worry! I tried on some denim shorts a few weeks ago and could hardly get the blasted things over my knees. MY KNEES!

I am a 10. The shorts were a 16. Thankfully I was feeling quite psychologically robust that day. It did make me feel for the people who are actually a 16, though, as it was hecking ridiculous sizing.

Roomba Mon 25-Sep-17 17:56:37

It's definitely not you, it's H&M!

I am a size 10 in most shops, for most items of clothing. I have stuff from H&M in my wardrobe that ranges from size 6 (as if!) to size 16. Honestly. Their sizing is absolutely all over the place and they are notorious for it.

Theresnonamesleft Mon 25-Sep-17 17:57:21

When in store save yourself time taking endless sizes in the changing room. Take the jeans off the hanger, wear round your neck, if the two ends meet, take them into the changing room. If too big/small keep going.
If you don't want to be a bit odd and do this, take a tape measure.

Store sizes vary. It's no big secret. When buying online I don't just look at the 10/12 whatever, but the actual tape measure size.

Lonelynessie Mon 25-Sep-17 18:19:07

It's not you, honestly their sizing is bonkers.

Christmastree43 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:22:09

H&M jeans/ trousers are minuscule and built for those with no hips or bum whatsoever!!! Don't feel bad OP it's just H&M for you! Sorry you had to find out now though how crap they are!

pinkhorse Mon 25-Sep-17 18:25:04

I have to go up 2 sizes in h & m so it's not only you!

MeganChips Mon 25-Sep-17 18:28:14

I'm also a pretty standard size 12. I recently bought a suit jacket in H&M and it's a 16 and definitely fitted. I liked it so bought it anyway but agree the sizing is ridiculous.

Weirdly, anything jersey I buy in there is huge! Everything I buy is in a size small and fits fine.

ew1990 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:30:04

Im a size 8 but have to get a 12/14 from H&M - I swear they measure the sizes on small children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now