Talk

Advanced search

What did you buy on your 40th birthday?

(58 Posts)
ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sun 24-Sep-17 12:00:33

I'm turning 40 next year - July. Still a long way to go, but thinking of buying my first designer bag. Although I don't really like bags - I like shoes.

What did you buy on your 40th?

Therealslimshady1 Sun 24-Sep-17 12:01:43

Nothing!

Better start catching up grin, it's 7 years ago!

CountFosco Sun 24-Sep-17 17:03:18

Can't remember. Going to buy myself a good watch for my 50th.

SerfTerf Sun 24-Sep-17 17:05:40

Fish and chips.

shouldaknownbetter Sun 24-Sep-17 17:07:16

I bought an orla kiely watch, it wasn't loads, about £40 or so.

I also paid for flights to copenhagen for a city break without the kids (DH paid for hotel).. priceless!

herecomesthsun Sun 24-Sep-17 17:08:16

Nothing.

I was however taken out for an extremely romantic meal by someone who had flown out from the UK to be with me.

We are now married with 2 kids, it worked out well.

neveradullmoment99 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:08:21

I have my 50th coming up. Will mark the place as i have no idea what i would like.
Probably at the top of the list currently is a leather jacket. Next i have fallen in love with some jewellery by Alex Monroe.

neveradullmoment99 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:09:02

For my 40th I got a boucle navy coat by boden with red buttons. I still have it.

StevesFlappyCap Sun 24-Sep-17 17:09:52

Not S&B appropriate but a trip to Egypt smile

Gillybobs Sun 24-Sep-17 17:22:17

A lovely silver ring from Tiffany in NYC. Have worn it every day since.

Ginorchoc Sun 24-Sep-17 17:29:04

I had a ring made by Julian who has a shop in Glastonbury with mine and daughters birth stones. Really love it and randomly a Hollywood Actor was in there that weekend also getting jewellery designed!

Floisme Sun 24-Sep-17 17:47:16

I don't remember buying anything for my 40th but I did get pregnant so it was pretty memorable.
For my 50th I went to Jigsaw.
For my 60th I toyed with a leather jacket but went for Harris Tweed instead.
For my 61st, Vivienne Westwood.

If I live much longer I'll end up in the gutter.

Why on earth would you buy yourself a designer bag if you don't like bags?

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 24-Sep-17 17:57:53

I bought myself nothing but I was given a holiday to the Maldives.

ZaraW Sun 24-Sep-17 18:31:12

I didn't buy anything but went on holiday to Vietnam will always remember it.

tehmina23 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:33:28

I didn't buy myself anything, Dad bought me a rose gold DKNY watch which is really pretty.

My sister got me a sparkly Links bracelet.

My late nan gave me the money for new gym trainers. I chose bright orange & pink Nikes. I only wear them in the gym so they still look nice a year later.

Mum bought me a pair of River Island heels & some earrings.

Cin3ma Sun 24-Sep-17 18:33:47

DH bought me a lovely silver necklace and bracelet (I'm a lifelong costume jewellery girl, so it was lovely to have something special).

I toyed with the idea of a bag, but the ones I truly loved were upwards of a grand and...nah! I just couldn't.

We went away instead. Was wonderful.

FannyWisdom Sun 24-Sep-17 18:34:47

A cat.
One of my dreams was to have a Burmese and a Siamese my DC and DF bought her.

tehmina23 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:35:45

I also went to Mykonos for my 40th so I did actually buy some new clothes for that holiday - bikinis, vest tops, short kaftans & a beach bag iirc

MinesaPinot Sun 24-Sep-17 18:36:01

Me and DH went to a hotel in Stow on the Wold with our friends, and I bought four Edwardian port glasses in an antique shop (I love old glasswear).

Nothing for my 50th.

Loopytiles Sun 24-Sep-17 18:36:53

A silver bracelet.

If money was no object and had places to wear it would love a vivienne westwood dress.

tehmina23 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:37:52

Love the present of a cat!

Burmese have great cat personalities.

I already have one cat & she hates other cats so couldn't get another.

Auntiedahlia Sun 24-Sep-17 19:06:42

I had a big soft leather weekend hold-all bag. So beautiful that I'm scared to use it if I go away for weekends.

dibly Sun 24-Sep-17 19:59:38

DH bought be a mulberry Alexa, I wasn't remotely into designer bags, but loved this and it has started a new passion. I also had some money from my parents which I wanted to use for something special, so bought a diamond bracelet - beautiful, but very rarely worn. So my advice is go with the bag or a piece of jewellery you'll wear a lot!

Laska5772 Sun 24-Sep-17 20:08:28

A day trip up to Oxford at . (it was a couple of days before) .. I bought a green and black velvet dress from Monsoon for my 40th party and a silver bracelet from Libertys.. still have them both! (I'm 60 this year.. not sure yet what ill be buying myself....possibly a shed!! grin ) .

Cheesymonster Sun 24-Sep-17 20:17:09

Mulberry Alexa - I saved up and used birthday money to put towards it - was planning the purchase for a long time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now