Talk

Advanced search

Help me find suitable clothes please! Size 16, early 50s

(20 Posts)
Justchillaxing Sat 23-Sep-17 13:43:08

Help me please! I have nothing i look good in.

I've always dressed in jeans and long tops/jumpers. Now I find jeans uncomfortable and struggle to find long tops or jumpers that suit me - I've 36ggs so crew neck looks awful!

I've put on over a stone in the last year and hate the way I look. I'm trying to lose weight but in the meantime would like to find at least one item of clothing that I feel good in.

I only need something casual, maybe a long jumper I can wear with leggings or jeggings, not wool, preferably cotton mix or viscose, scoop or v neck. Lengthwise it would need to be about 80 cm long to cover my bum. Not too clingy because it shows every roll of flab but not too baggy or I look huge.

I'm brown haired, brown eyes. Very large tum.

I've tried dresses but they just make me look HUGE. Tube skirts with thick tights and long tops or jumpers are ok ... IF I can find a top I like. I also used to wear vest tops with long cardigans or flannel shirts.

Gillybobs Sat 23-Sep-17 13:54:03

I find mint velvet batwing jumpers really flattering. I wear with Dorothy Perkins Eden jeggings which are soft and comfy to wear.

HM have a great ribbed long length cardI just now that looks great with jeggings and ankle boots.

Justchillaxing Sat 23-Sep-17 15:54:47

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I've got some Dorothy Perkins Eden jeggings, they're soft but the elastic waist on my Tu jeggings is softer - they've been washed a thousand times though!

partystress Sat 23-Sep-17 16:20:18

I am similarly norked and found long, not chunky, cardies (M&Co had some great ones last year) over tunic style dresses, leggings and boots with a bit of heel got me through winter. V neck, even when a higher crew style neck underneath, seems to minimise boobs most helpfully.

wineoclockthanks Sat 23-Sep-17 16:31:46

Are you me? Although I have blue eyes!

I've been looking for the same and read that asymmetrical tops are good for hiding disguising a big tummy. I found one in a charity shop and have had a number of compliments when wearing it.

Justchillaxing Sat 23-Sep-17 21:21:37

Thanks.

Can you link to the sort of dresses you wear?

Yes to leggings and boots, i just struggle to find tunics that don't make me look huge.

LindyHemming Sat 23-Sep-17 21:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

partystress Sat 23-Sep-17 21:48:09

https://www.peacocks.co.uk/148891.html. Sorry don't know how to link, but this kind of thing, with black or grey waterfall style cardie?

Justchillaxing Sun 24-Sep-17 03:34:38

Thanks .. I think the neckline would be too high on that dress though?
But similar style with a scoop neck might work. I never find dresses like that!

Justchillaxing Sun 24-Sep-17 03:46:55

Yes M&S super skinny jeans are great, I have a pair in grey. Just struggle to find long enough jumpers/tops with the right neckline confused

SmileAndNod Sun 24-Sep-17 07:34:37

I feel the same (except my weight gain has been 4 stones). Hate the way I look at the minute. Anyway I bought this phase eight Becca jumper yesterday. I think it looks ok though my boobs are much smallerthan yours. The style was recommended on another thread (apple ahape)

LindyHemming Sun 24-Sep-17 09:49:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubbishMantra Sun 24-Sep-17 14:16:30

I've got a couple of Becca jumpers from Phase8 too, Smile one in a V-neck (flattering for us big bosommed). They bring them back season after season, so they must've got it right with this jumper.

Recently bought a couple of pairs of Amie joggers from Hush. Surprisingly flattering with all the drapey fabric from the waist, but it's in a heavy yet lightweight fabric, so doesn't cling or go all knee-ey. So comfy that I want to wear them all the time. They do come up rather large though - I prefer a looser fit but would maybe go down a size next time.

Justchillaxing Sun 24-Sep-17 15:57:02

I can't wear wool so the Woolovers jumper is no good, sadly, as it looks nice.

I'm not keen on the Phase eight top, sorry. I don't like the neckline.

NearlyChristmasNow Sun 24-Sep-17 19:59:32

This has a nice neckline www.bravissimo.com/products/split-side-tunic-red-pt595red/

Justchillaxing Sun 24-Sep-17 21:44:47

That's nice, but maybe a bit clingy?

NearlyChristmasNow Sun 24-Sep-17 23:06:49

This might be too much of a pattern but I like colours m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_64461+2286_-1

NearlyChristmasNow Sun 24-Sep-17 23:08:02

Plainer, comes in other colours m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_62103+06J05XGRN_-1

NearlyChristmasNow Mon 25-Sep-17 00:00:46

One more www.peterhahn.co.uk/peter-hahn-jumper-with-square-neckline-burgundy-811414.html

Justchillaxing Mon 25-Sep-17 00:20:40

They're all nice, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now