Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain nail things to me?

(10 Posts)
totallystumped Sat 23-Sep-17 12:34:10

I used to have nice nails naturally, but for the past few years they've looked horrid. Age has brought grooves, filing and stuff in work means they are always breaking/tearing off. I'd like to treat myself to a proper "do" in a shop, but I don't know what all the stuff the shops advertise means. Gels? acrylic? fibreglass? infills? - completely over my head.

What I would like is a little bit of extra length, a nice colour and a fairly natural shape - not square talons - that will stand up to a bit of wear and tear. I've tried false nails but they pop off at inopportune moments and just make the situation worse.

Can anyone advise me please?

Dustbunny1900 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:15:47

Ok so you don't want fake? You just want strengthening tips or treatments? Or you want fakes, just not the shit ones that pop off

totallystumped Sat 23-Sep-17 17:13:50

This is the problem, I don't really know, I haven't got a lot of cash to treat myself with so it can't be anything that costs a fortune or needs constant top ups, just something that looks good for a week or so rather than the practically down to the quick things I have ATM (feeling a bit dowdy and down as DD just buggered off Uni)

Sheridanflamingo Sat 23-Sep-17 17:18:02

You need stuff at home to maintain and build up your nails as well - regardless of manicure. Nailtiques is good, get a good cuticle oil, hand cream and cotton gloves if you like. Start with a basic manicure - cuticles, polish etc and see how you get on. I personally don't like gels or shellac etc but my sister loves them, personal choice. Once you have your nails in good condition you can paint them at home yourself and just have maintenance manicures - wax ones are nice they soften and 'revitalise' type thing

Therealslimshady1 Sat 23-Sep-17 18:34:11

I have crappy weak nails and Nail Envy has turned them around! I use it as per instruction (2 coats first day, then top up every other day) , for parties I put a nice colour on top of them.

TobleroneBoo Sat 23-Sep-17 18:38:38

You need shellac gel polish, but that's different to gel nails

Shellac or other brands ( maybe gelish etc) is just cured polish which should last about 3 weeks before needing to be redone

Dustbunny1900 Sat 23-Sep-17 18:43:51

Yeah you won't want fakes then, plus they're very bad for your real nails.
Get them buffed out and shined, cuticles pushed back and oiled, and a nourishing nail coat/fortifier put on. When they get stronger you can do gel polishes/shellack polish that lasts a good two weeks but maybe until then get a good pedicure and toe polish to give you some oomph while you wait for your nails to strength .

readyforno2 Sat 23-Sep-17 19:18:41

I agree with Sheridan. Nailtiques is brilliant!

semideponent Sat 23-Sep-17 19:25:51

I've just had gelish for the first time. 9 days in and no chipping or lifting. My nails were quite short when I had them done: with the gelish polish they seem to be holding even as they grow out (they don't seem to do that when left bare).

I've booked my removal appointment and I'm going to quiz the beauty therapist about any potential problems doing gelish without a break.

It might be a good solution...

Therealslimshady1 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:10:59

Pay attention when they get taken off, that is when the damage can get done....soaking in acetone and then over zealous scraping off of polish is what can damage nails. Report back to us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now