Talk

Advanced search

HoC - which navy?

(13 Posts)
user1955 Sat 23-Sep-17 09:30:34

I'm a winter and love navy rather than black. But how do I tell the difference between a winter's navy and the other seasons' navy? I really haven't got my eye in unless its a perfect match to my colour swatches.

Paintbox Sat 23-Sep-17 09:33:21

I agree this is tricky. A winter navy should be very clear and crisp, rather than a more muted softer one if that makes sense. I do struggle though

NotMeNoNo Sat 23-Sep-17 09:36:11

TBH we can probably wear most navies unless they are really tending to a dusty airforce blue sort of colour - like you get in Whitestuff/Fat Face sometimes. If in doubt go darker?

user1955 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:47:34

I have navy trousers that are so dark I can't see if they are navy or black in the early morning, so I'm probably ok then!

I totally agree with my colour diagnosis, but find shopping more challenging. Some colours it is easy to see - the bright jewel colours - but others I umm and ahh about wondering if they are more summery. If it is a match to my swatches I'm fine, otherwise I doubt myself add the awful shop lighting doesn't always make it easier when holding it up to my face.

ilovecherries Sat 23-Sep-17 10:58:09

So agree about shop lighting. Im a summer, bought a gorgeous draped navy top in Cos last week, but when I got it out of the shopping mall into the street it was almost black. Suited my winter daughter, made me look utterly drained. I'm not yet convinced that knowing my colours is making shopping any easier.

user1955 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:06:19

Glad its not just me ilovecherries! Everyone says how easy it makes shopping, but I haven't cracked it. At least I know cream, beige, brown, orange, yellow and pastels are a no-no, and its reassured me I can wear black.

Hopefully Sat 23-Sep-17 13:35:17

As a PP said, most many is fine unless it is soft/smokey (looks like it has been washed a few times).

GertiesEyebrow Sat 23-Sep-17 13:42:16

Yeah, I sort of "saw" it on the day but now I haven't a clue what to do with it now.
I guess it doesn't help that I was convinced I was an autumn only to find out I was a summer. I'm still lusting after a mustard cardie...

FinallyHere Sat 23-Sep-17 14:27:32

I feel your pain. I have often taken an item back to my consultant (just happened to be wearing it when i saw her) and asked for her opinion. I noticed that anything that was 'right' she would make a fuss of, anything not great for me, she would say lovely and move on quickly to something else. Sigh...

You have already noticed that it is much easier to evaluate one colour compared to another, rather than by itself, in isolation from other colours: you mentioned a navy that cannot be distinguished from black.

The difference between warm and cool colours seems important, but difficult to distinguish for me. The shop lighting can make a big different, so seeing the colours in daylight is always going to be helpful. I also keep a square of gold and of silver lame, because most colours look better with one or the other, a clue to warm v cool basis for the colour.

The gold/silver thing was one of the first things that got me hooked on colour analysis, i saw a talk, where as part of what I at first took to be the general decorations, the consultant had four pieces of material, two had a silver necklace resting on them, the other two a gold necklace. At the relevant moment, she swapped the two chains over. On the 'wrong' colours, what had looked like expensive necklaces suddenly looked like the sort of chain you might expect to see on a sink plug.

I was convinced that it is worth seeking out colours that look good together

suchatiredbunny Sat 23-Sep-17 15:00:21

I'm a summer and the advice I had if you're not quite sure if a colour is 'right' is to put it next to a colour that you are sure of. That should help you see if it's right or not.

user1955 Sat 23-Sep-17 17:31:57

That's helpful suchatiredbunny. I like the idea of a square of gold and silver FinallyHere - I'll find some and tuck in in my HoC wallet. Thank you everyone.

suchatiredbunny Sat 23-Sep-17 18:04:30

I agree with Finally about the silver/gold too.....for example, I pulled out a lovely dove grey jumper in M&S the other day, thought it was great until I got it off the rail and it had gold buttons on it which made it look really cheap...,they needed to be silver/gun metal.

Mamia15 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:05:45

A great winter navy is that kind that looks good with black - I wear a lot of black and navy together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now