Talk

Advanced search

Knitwear, do you buy acrylic?

(27 Posts)
youvegottobekidding Fri 22-Sep-17 20:33:42

As it's getting nippy now, I'll be on the hunt soon for some jumpers, nothing fancy. Most of the knitwear I see is either 100% acrylic or a high % of it and in my experience, acrylic never lasts, it always goes bobbly, even after one wash.

There's quite a few jumpers/cardigans that I've seen before in New Look, Sainsbury's and Matalan, but the acrylic content puts me off buying!

AdoraBell Fri 22-Sep-17 20:35:54

I don't, the only thing that keeps me warm is wool.

When I was a teen and couldn't afford wool I did.

dudsville Fri 22-Sep-17 20:35:56

Personally I only ever buy 100% cotton because I find wool too hot, and I'd never buy acrylic as it reacts badly on my skin and makes the fabric smell, they are also hotter to wear. It's a shame as a lot of very pretty things have it in them.

Ididnthearanything Fri 22-Sep-17 20:38:04

Hate acrylic. Feels horrible on, doesn't keep me warm, wears v badly. Unfortunately I see it everywhere.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 22-Sep-17 20:38:22

No. Sweaty, nasty stuff that rarely washes well. I can be identified in clothes shops trying to scrutinise the fabric content label squinting without my glasses.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:08

I hate acrylic.

TonicAndTonic Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:12

Yes I'll happily buy acrylic, but mostly because wool brings me out in a rash. I find cotton/acrylic blends last a bit better.

uglyswan Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:20

This is the main reason I learnt how to knit. 100% wool yarn is quite pricey, but not as pricey as a wool jumper - and I can make things that fit me properly!

iseenodust Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:43

Ididnthear nails it.

PurplePillowCase Fri 22-Sep-17 20:44:36

hate acrylic, feels sweaty and cold at the same time and makes my hair electric.
wool usually too warm,
cotton washes well, silk feels amazing.

Strummerville Fri 22-Sep-17 21:01:09

Wool, cashmere, cotton, silk, or any combination thereof.

Recently splashed out on an alpaca jumper. It's like wearing a warm cloud. I love it!

RaininSummer Fri 22-Sep-17 21:03:19

No, I have self diagnosed acrylicopobia. It doesn't keep me warm and has a funny smell.

Babymamamama Fri 22-Sep-17 21:19:24

Cannot bear acrylic. Makes me feel claustrophobic and sweaty.

Branleuse Fri 22-Sep-17 21:21:15

Yeah it doesnt bother me

whirlyswirly Fri 22-Sep-17 22:12:10

No, never ever. It irks me that expensive knitwear often contains it (French connection I'm looking at you)
It just looks shit after a couple of washes and feels staticky and horrible on.

Ktown Fri 22-Sep-17 22:14:16

Only bad if it is 30% or less, and even then I have to love the pattern.
Cotton is best for British climes and merino wool but not lambswool nor cashmere which make me boil.

drspouse Fri 22-Sep-17 22:23:48

I am a fibre snob. So no.

Stellato Fri 22-Sep-17 22:25:13

I don't see the point of acrylic. It doesn't keep me warm, it doesn't hang well, it doesn't wash well. Why bother?

Fairylea Fri 22-Sep-17 22:26:51

I don't like wool, I find it itchy and uncomfortable no matter how soft it's supposed to be. I always buy acrylic. I think the jumpers from Tu at Sainsbury's are lovely actually, that's one of my favourite places to buy knitwear from. I usually buy new ones every winter anyway as I enjoy buying in trend stuff, I donate older ones to charity.

DelurkingAJ Fri 22-Sep-17 22:40:06

Another who itches and scratches and comes out in random blotches in wool! Yes, acrylic and cotton mix for me.

ZaraW Sat 23-Sep-17 05:42:15

No I hate acrylic I love cotton.

thecatfromjapan Sat 23-Sep-17 06:41:11

No. It doesn't keep you warm so what would be the point?

That said, I can see the point of a bit of acrylic in a wool-mix (it helps with wear and tear, I think). But I'm always a bit mystified if I pick up a piece of knitwear and discover it's 100% acrylic. Why? It would fail in its primary function (keeping you warm), so what is its purpose?

christmasunicorn Sat 23-Sep-17 10:19:56

I find wool can be itchy and I’ve got 100% wool jumpers and 100% acrylic jumpers and the acrylic ones wash better and look much nicer after many years of wear. Wool looks tired imo.
Though fabric really doesn’t bother me, I buy an wear whatever I like. I never check the label before buying

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 23-Sep-17 12:30:26

No, I can't bear it as I pick up / give off a lot of static. Even touching an acrylic jumper hanging up in a shop is enough to set off a crackle!

BWatchWatcher Sat 23-Sep-17 12:31:57

No, it is a nasty sweaty fabric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now