Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Make up recommendations

(21 Posts)
DuchessofManchester Fri 22-Sep-17 20:24:10

Ive recently decided to change all my make up and looking for a new brand. I've always gone for cheaper brands rimmel etc and a few years ago was really into benefit.

I got some money for my birthday and looking at indulging in a new make up brand. I don't want to pay ridiculous prices but still a 'good' brand.

Had a trail at Charlotte Tilbury recently and I've never looked worse...had the foundation dabbed onto my face and left.
I'm 28, like quite a natural look with dry pink tinged skin if that helps.
Thank You!

stoplickingthetelly Fri 22-Sep-17 21:33:49

I really like Bobbi Brown. They do good natural looking makeup imo

bingohandjob Fri 22-Sep-17 21:56:26

I use No.7 for tinted moisturiser / base stuff (powder, concealer, foundation) and mascara and Laura Mercier for 'colour' (shadow, liners, blush) - love them both. I'd suggest, you can, few make overs in eg John Lewis. I have a few nice pieces from CT but think it's generally overpriced and overrated.

moreismore Fri 22-Sep-17 22:02:13

I'd second Bobbi brown, very natural, products last ages and I've never felt pressured to buy when I went for a trial.

BearFoxBear Fri 22-Sep-17 22:07:36

I love Bobbi Brown too. The new serum foundation is absolutely brilliant and goes a long long way. I have pink undertones and it's great for me.

kittydetective Fri 22-Sep-17 22:18:43

Bobbi Brown for sure

Cooloncraze Fri 22-Sep-17 22:26:58

I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser and Bobbi Brown for eye shadows/ blush etc
Really great brands that aren't cheap but very high quality and last for ages. I'll never go back to anything else.

coldcuptea Fri 22-Sep-17 22:35:58

Same skin as you - dry and pink
Diorskin nude bb cream has been a real game changer .

DuchessofManchester Sat 23-Sep-17 07:47:32

Thank You! I'll be going to the Trafford centre tomorrow so will check out the Bobbi Brown counter.

mowgeli Sat 23-Sep-17 07:53:56

I'm a huge fan of Dior. They have two bb creams which I love. I prefer the one in the blue tube despite the skin coloured one winning prizes.
I also really love their Blusher and highlighter stick.
Since my skin tone changes a lot through the seasons I find a bb cream to be more cost effective. I only started using them in August after buying I am not joking 4 foundations from Estée Lauder within 3 months...

Fabellini Sat 23-Sep-17 07:58:51

Sorry if I've misunderstood OP, but are you planning on buying your whole face of make up from one brand?
I've got favourite products from several different brands, and I think you'll probably find it easier to get stuff you like if you shop around.
For example - I use a Mac primer, but the foundation over the top is from Urban Decay, then blusher and highlighter are from an Hourglass palette.
I think it'd be quite restricting to try and find everything to suit you from one counter.

DuchessofManchester Sat 23-Sep-17 08:58:14

Hadn't really thought about it like that fabellini. Problem is when I go for a makeover I do get sucked into the whole yes I can achieve this whole look so easily if I buy the lot. Definitely given me something to think about.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 23-Sep-17 09:05:14

I don't think anyone buys everything from one counter,do they? Make up bags are mix and match!

Bobbi Brown is ok. Tbh I'm pretty disappointed when I spend money on high end make up.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 23-Sep-17 09:26:14

I love Charlotte Tilbury! If your skin is dry their light wonder could be great for you. But agree with others that you don't necessarily waby everything from the same place. My current day to day face is GOSH primer and powder, Charlotte Tilbury foundation and concealer, Hourglass ambient lighting palette for blush and highlight, or sometimes a Charlotte Tilbury palette for blush/eyeshadow if I'm wearing it, Too Faced mascara and GOSH brow gel. It's rare to get everything that's right for you from one place. I've never had a counter make over.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 23-Sep-17 09:27:37

Should add I'm 29, fair and go for a more natural look, so probably not too far off you

DuchessofManchester Sat 23-Sep-17 10:01:05

Definitely going for the.mix and match approach! Quite excited now.

DuchessofManchester Sat 23-Sep-17 10:03:35

Has anyone tried NARS blusher?

LavenderHills Sat 23-Sep-17 10:05:27

If you don't necessarily want a full face of makeup every day, I highly recommend the Khiels BB cream. It gives beautiful, subtle coverage, lasts all days and is SPF 50+, which is perfect for the pale-skinned among us!

Fabellini Sat 23-Sep-17 23:26:27

I've had a couple of NARS blushes in the past....wasn't overly impressed with powder blush, but I really like "the multiple" - a cream stick like an oversized lipstick, it's lovely!

toddlermom Sat 23-Sep-17 23:34:34

I used to be a beauty editor and I agree CT totally overrated. The only think I like are the eye crayons which are quick and easy though there are probably better cheaper ones I just haven't looked.

There's a brilliant blog called 'amodelrecommends' where she recommends the best foundation, the best blusher, the best bronzer etc and does a video to show you how to use etc. She's brilliant and chooses all great products. I embarrassingly go to her blog for recommendation any time I need to buy anything!

toddlermom Sat 23-Sep-17 23:35:02

typo: only THING i like!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: