Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Why can I never tell if something suits me...

(14 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 22-Sep-17 18:28:50

...until I see the photos after the event and think...ugh! How the heck do you know if something suits you? Trying to pick a dress for a wedding and I've seen one I like but not sure if it likes me!

arousingcheer Fri 22-Sep-17 18:32:41

I feel the same way. Sometimes I will wear something I love for ages and one day to my horror it's as though I'm really seeing myself for the first time and I want to go home, take it off and chuck it out.

I am also going to a wedding (tomorrow) and struggling to find something to wear so I tried it all on and took photos in the mirror. It was quite helpful actually.

There are rules you can follow to a certain extent, eg I'm an hourglass and look best in clothes that emphasise my waist.

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:17:21

I'm like this too so I've been thinking about it a lot
Think maybe it's a confidence thing?

HappyGirlNow Fri 22-Sep-17 19:32:32

Stand in front of a full length mirror, hold your phone/camera to the side and take your photo. I can see much more clearly in a photo if something suits me than I can looking simply in a mirror.

keeponkeepinon Sat 23-Sep-17 07:26:40

I think it definitely is a confidence thing. I am so nervous things would look crap I don't even take advice off a friend, save them the embarrassment of telling me it looks awful. That sounds pretty sad when you write it down actually. I never lost baby weight and the rest and it has really damaged my self confidence I think. I'm permanently trying though.

bleughhh Sat 23-Sep-17 08:54:54

Oh, that's sad! Sounds like it might be more of a confidence thing than what you actually look like in various outfits... the picture ideas sound good but I suspect you are being overly critical of yourself and 'thinking' you look dreadful when really you look fine - or even lovely! I'd really try to enlist the help of a sensitive but honest friend who you think dresses well. You just need an idea of what out of your current wardrobe looks nice - then you can build on it. I realise that would involve admitting your insecurities but it might give you a more realistic idea of what suits you. Sounds like you have the negative filter well and truly on when it comes to what you look like! Bet you look MUCH better than you think...

Paintbox Sat 23-Sep-17 09:16:09

Op, ther is something to be said for wearing clothes that suit and flatter you. There is equally something to be said for wearing something that you love, and enjoying doing so, even if it isn't the most perfectly flattering thing for you. Clothes can be fun, but not always if we stick rigidly to a set idea of what flatters or suits us all of the time.

MissBabbs Sun 24-Sep-17 09:34:43

I have a friend who is always nicely dressed. She takes about 30 things into the changing room and tries everything. When I do this I find that the nice stuff jumps out but the bad unflattering colour also jumps out so you don't buy stuff you like but doesn't like you.

Also changing room lighting is often horribly unflattering so if it looks ok in the changing room it will turn out to be a favourite.

ringthelandline Sun 24-Sep-17 09:50:24

Me too. I recently saw some photos of me in my Issa wrap dress that I thought looked stylish and understated and possibly even slim in will full strength control pants. Sitting down you could see all the lumps and bumps and I looked dreadful.

neveradullmoment99 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:55:26

I have become a bit like this but the only difference is i rarely let it affect what i wear. I just move on and buy what i like anyway. Usually i wear pretty basic things that arent outlandish anway but if I see myself in a dress that i think i look crap in when i look at photos, i tend to get rid of it!!! [ sell it usually]. After that, I don't usually let it affect what i wear or buy.

LindyHemming Sun 24-Sep-17 11:32:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Sep-17 12:20:29

I used to be hourglass before babies...now i seem to have misplaced my waist. I wonder if pirates or similar would help me feel better?

bleughhh Tue 26-Sep-17 12:30:38

Pirates might. Or maybe Pilates?

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Sep-17 14:40:01

Ah. Hand. Face. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: