Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for after shoulder surgery

(8 Posts)
EllenLydia Fri 22-Sep-17 17:58:13

Please can anyone give me suggestions for what I can wear after shoulder surgery next month. I fact generally how to dress and look after myself. I will be in a fixed sling for 6 weeks and by myself apart from 1 day a week.
I am wondering about a bra, big norks and 1 arm and 1 shoulder .

joangray38 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:45:29

I wore wrap tops/ jumpers and Clothes I could button up the front as I could manovere the sleeves up my arm without moving my shoulder. I didn't wear a bra but know some women wore front fastening ones or strapless ones so didn't put pressure on shoulder. Get a coat several sizes bigger so your arm can stay strapped up insides coat- it was agony unstrapping my arm getting it in then restrapping it up. Get a few different shoulder/ arm straps off ebay/. Boot. Com. The one the hospital gave me had no support for my shoulder- even the hospital physio admitted my sling from ebay was better quality and more use than a NHS one. With a better sling it was easier to get clothes on. Good luck with the op!

EllenLydia Sat 23-Sep-17 06:41:45

Thanks that is really helpful.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Sep-17 07:04:56

I am a 32g and I wore my normal Brad just didn't put the shoulder strap on that side. I couldn't do it by myself tho. I bought some cheap dresses in a local market with a sort of peasant style top and did the same with those.
It was way more difficult than the hospital led me to believe flowers

EllenLydia Sat 23-Sep-17 07:45:59

The hospital have given me contradictory advice and some that seems terrifying.
How did you wash and look after your hair?
I am wondering about having it cut into an easy cut.

ShesNoNormanPace Sat 23-Sep-17 09:10:40

Front fastening bra unless you are really good at wriggling round. I started off without putting my arm through the sleeve at all but was ok to do that fairly quickly. Buttons obviously not easy as you can't bring the two sides together. Jogging bottoms or leggings for the same reason, although angling the arm down was easier.

I remember showering being ok, I could still wash and brush my hair with the other hand but not tie it back. Cleaning my teeth and applying make up left handed was odd.

To be honest it was things like opening jars and grating cheese that were more of an issue.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:40

I couldn't wash or brush my own hand with that arm (my right) for weeks my DD or my DH helped me shower for the first week or so then I generally managed left handed. I had my hair shortened by about six inches and that helped.
I couldn't do anything even open a bottle of water or fill the kettle for a couple of weeks but I had some ground off the bone, pins in my shoulder to close a tear and my bicep tendon burst so I was pretty bad.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Sep-17 10:28:56

I booked in with my hairdresser about a week after my OP and that was a bad idea I couldn't sit comfortably or wear the cape thing I wished I'd gone before the op and just booked in for a wash, no blow dry after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now